traditional tension drum can use kevlar head?

BandBand~~

Hi, anyone know can the Side Drum and competitor CMS snare support the tension of the kevlar head which used in High tension snare drum??

can it be tuning to sound like that?

traditional tension drum can use kevlar head?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm :angry: any reason why you say that?

The shells aren't designed for those stresses....89 Cavaliers had to throw out their entire snare set after the season because the rims were crushing over....had it happen to a few drums Nightfire had where kevlars had been out on before we got them.

On an older drum (pre 88), the shell itself takes the stress of the head. On a more modern free-floater, those stresses are taken by the tension bars...or in the case of a Dynasty top head, by the double hoop, which is then simply secured to the shell.

If you put a kevlar or fiber head on a Pearl Competitor CMS and try to crank it anywhere near the tension those heads are designed for, the drum will break. It's just a question of what will break first: lug casings, tension rods, or shell. Drums like the Competitor CMS and Yamaha Power-Lite are built to be lightweight and cheap. To keep the cost and weight down, they're not designed to handle high tension heads.

There have been lug-tension drums that can handle kevlar heads. The Yamaha Corps Custom MS-9014 had a reinforced shell, heavy duty lug casings, and a solid cast rim to handle high tension heads. It was replaced by the lighter and more durable SFZ. You might be able to get away with kevlar heads on a lug-tension Mapex Quantum HT or Dynasty DFBL. If you don't torque the heads too tight, Yamaha Field Corps MS-8014 and older Pearl Championship lug-tension drums can handle high tension heads, although you risk damaging the drums.

The shells aren't designed for those stresses....89 Cavaliers had to throw out their entire snare set after the season because the rims were crushing over....had it happen to a few drums Nightfire had where kevlars had been out on before we got them.

On an older drum (pre 88), the shell itself takes the stress of the head. On a more modern free-floater, those stresses are taken by the tension bars...or in the case of a Dynasty top head, by the double hoop, which is then simply secured to the shell.

so this same goes to Pearl competitor CMS snare?

Edited by BandBand~~

On a more modern free-floater, those stresses are taken by the tension bars...or in the case of a Dynasty top head, by the double hoop, which is then simply secured to the shell.

Actually, just about every modern high tension drum uses a "double hoop" (tension ring) design to handle tension from the top head. The cage of tension posts you see on most free floating drums handle the tension from the bottom head. Dynasty uses a more traditional lug design for their bottom heads, hence the lack of tension posts.

Actually, just about every modern high tension drum uses a "double hoop" (tension ring) design to handle tension from the top head. The cage of tension posts you see on most free floating drums handle the tension from the bottom head. Dynasty uses a more traditional lug design for their bottom heads, hence the lack of tension posts.

Thanks for the clarificaiton....I remember the first double hoop beign on the Remo Legatos, but I may not have recognized the other designs.

I still have one of the Ludwig snares we used in '88 in my basement with a Falam head on top and bottom without any problems. I've got them cranked down pretty good too. The heads have been on for close to twenty years with no problems. Although it's just been sitting there mostly with me playing on it every once in a while. I think the screws holding the lug casings on are the first to go. I've actually had to replace most of them. But the shell is still perfect.

The Ludwig tenors I have are a different story altogether. The 8" shell is pretty much square and the 10" is caved in in one spot. Every once in a while a screw on a casing will pop.

But, to agree with everyone else, no they're not really built for kevlar heads.