traditional tension drum can use kevlar head?

BandBand~~

Back in the mid 80s, my college line (Univ of Pittsburgh) had a deal with some early kevlar head manufacturer. We had Pearl snare drums and they would literally explode from the tension. Kevlar heads on non-kevlar drums =wrecked drum.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the mid 80s, my college line (Univ of Pittsburgh) had a deal with some early kevlar head manufacturer. We had Pearl snare drums and they would literally explode from the tension. Kevlar heads on non-kevlar drums =wrecked drum.

Pearl eventually came up with a reinforcing ring.But the free floaters caught on better with people buying them I personally like the hybrids and they could be used okay on the conventinal drums.

hmm.. looking for a head which suites those drum...

is evans hybrid suitable?

what is the use of REMO TTS head?

Edited by BandBand~~

hmm.. looking for a head which suites those drum...

Those drums are designed for Mylar (plastic) heads, not high-tension woven fiber or Kevlar heads.

Remo Powerstroke 2

Remo Powerstroke 77

Ludwig Silver Dot

You could possibly get away with putting an Evans Hybrid on the drum, but if you crank the head to the tension it was designed for, you risk destroying your drum.

what is the use of REMO TTS head?

TSS drums require special TSS heads. Standard heads won't fit.

Edited by SkyDog

Those drums are designed for Mylar (plastic) heads, not high-tension woven fiber or Kevlar heads.

Remo Powerstroke 2

Remo Powerstroke 77

Ludwig Silver Dot

You could possibly get away with putting an Evans Hybrid on the drum, but if you crank the head to the tension it was designed for, you risk destroying your drum.

TSS drums require special TSS heads. Standard heads won't fit.

hmmm... noted that

just want to share the video I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgc5wznwOuU

The heads in that video are Duraline heads. They're not quite like the high-tension Kevlar and fiber heads on the market today. They originally didn't have a plastic laminate, so air was able to pass through the Kevlar fabric, giving the drum a very dry sound. I believe they were also thinner than modern woven heads, so they'll naturally have a pretty high pitch under lighter tension than a modern head. (Think of the pitch you can get from tapping a Falam snare side head or Evans MX5.)

The pipe band snare drums in that video are also different than a Pearl Competitor. Pipe band snares, even in the pre-free-floater days, were intended to be tuned pretty tight. I believe Premier might've been including metal reinforcing rings in pipe band snares at least back to the mid 1980s, which is when that video was filmed. The drums in that video are Sonors, but I wouldn't be shocked if they had reinforcement, too. They're certainly not student-grade "ultralight" drums. And even if a drum imploded, that's Alex Duthart -- sorta like the Buddy Rich of pipe band drumming -- so someone's gonna give him a new one.

There are some other factors that give those drums such a high, crisp sound. Pipe band snare drums typically don't use gut or synthetic snares. They've got wire snares under both the top and bottom heads, giving a very snappy snare sound. Pipe band sticks are also lighter, often made of maple, and have very long tapers placing weight far back toward the butt of the stick. They naturally tend to give a thinner, higher sound than the sticks we're used to using.

And one last thought on Kevlar heads... They're not always meant to be tuned super tight. Kevlar heads are also used sometimes on rope tension snare and bass drums.

Edited by SkyDog

Good previous post, you know your stuff!

I'll add that some kit drummers are putting a kevlar on the snare to withstand multiple beatings. Mainly the heavy rock and metal guys. The head doesn't have to be cranked to the point of equipment failure, it just CAN be cranked that high.

Also, back in 88 our wood Pearl snare shells failed under extreme cranking of clear Pearl CT heads (mylar) one summer. Eventually Pearl had to send out new shells and we transplanted the hardware.

The heads in that video are Duraline heads. They're not quite like the high-tension Kevlar and fiber heads on the market today. They originally didn't have a plastic laminate, so air was able to pass through the Kevlar fabric, giving the drum a very dry sound. I believe they were also thinner than modern woven heads, so they'll naturally have a pretty high pitch under lighter tension than a modern head. (Think of the pitch you can get from tapping a Falam snare side head or Evans MX5.)

The pipe band snare drums in that video are also different than a Pearl Competitor. Pipe band snares, even in the pre-free-floater days, were intended to be tuned pretty tight. I believe Premier might've been including metal reinforcing rings in pipe band snares at least back to the mid 1980s, which is when that video was filmed. The drums in that video are Sonors, but I wouldn't be shocked if they had reinforcement, too. They're certainly not student-grade "ultralight" drums. And even if a drum imploded, that's Alex Duthart -- sorta like the Buddy Rich of pipe band drumming -- so someone's gonna give him a new one.

There are some other factors that give those drums such a high, crisp sound. Pipe band snare drums typically don't use gut or synthetic snares. They've got wire snares under both the top and bottom heads, giving a very snappy snare sound. Pipe band sticks are also lighter, often made of maple, and have very long tapers placing weight far back toward the butt of the stick. They naturally tend to give a thinner, higher sound than the sticks we're used to using.

And one last thought on Kevlar heads... They're not always meant to be tuned super tight. Kevlar heads are also used sometimes on rope tension snare and bass drums.

Beside competitor, I got few of those premier side drum which one of them also have double snare(steel wire), I think try with Evans MX white+MX7 on those drum

what is the reinforcement rings? I saw the drum have a thicker part at both end of the shell is that a reinforcement rings?

Edited by BandBand~~