Posting on CGP

Hi all!

A very prominent guard director approached me yesterday about some of the postings he's seen on this forum and some of the negative tones to them.

While I readily admit that we do let some things slide sometimes in the interest of a little fun (and drama LOL), we really strive to provide an atmosphere where directors can come and read some positive comments about the programs that they are trying so hard to make entertaining!

This particular person pointed out that - especially in these tough times - the activity really needs a little positivity.

Thanks all!

This is just my opinion, but:

While I agree that reading a feel-good post about your guard can be uplifting, I think it would do a great disservice to the activity if people were censored when expressing legitimate constructive criticism. ..or even sometimes being dramatic in their posts. With that said, anything that is blatantly out of line, should be immediately deleted and said poster dealt with accordingly. However, I think on the whole our group here at CGP (while a little nutty at times) is well mannered and respectful of one another. I can't recall any disrespectful posts other than 1 earlier in the season and that post/poster was banned. I think hurt feelings of guard directors shouldn't take precedence over the broad-minded thinking and open dialogue that we have in this community.

That's just my take. . .

Thanks! :cool:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

"love letters,scented candles and floral tributes"

perhaps we could we start a specific discussion topic where directors,wgi board members and designers could come and read only glowing words of praise and admiration for their programs. :cool::cool:

Edited by dugg

The negative tone eh?

I really haven't seen a negative tone, but an honest tone. As an audience, we have a right to express what we like and don't like and honestly,

if people don't like it, they don't need to read a forum. Harsh, but true. This is a place of opinions and probably always will be.

NOW LETS ALL HUG AND GO TO IHOP FOR SOME CHOCOLATE PANCAKES!!!!! EXTRA WHIP CREEEEEEEEAM!

Not sure who this thin-skinned director might be (although I have some strong candidates in mind), but the idea of a public forum consisting only of mandated "positivity" would be worthless.

Now, that's not giving carte blanche to every loud-mouth jerk in the activity to join this forum and trash whomever they happen to have a beef with. But some straightforward, honest - or even irreverent - opinions on any given topic are really important to the discussions taking place here.

And I agree with all of the previous posts, too.

Members of this site seem to be very conscious of not flat out "trashing" anyone or anything that's being discussed. Sure, we're a bit cheeky and a little odd at times. But I generally don't see any legitimate members posting anything that could be interpreted as negative or intentionally malicious.

Sometimes the tone of comments printed on a page (or a computer screen) is not as obvious as the tone of words that are spoken. But that doesn't seem to be the issue at hand with the "prominent director" who feels as if his/her group is being denigrated publicly.

When an real "attack" of some kind does get posted in these forums, it's almost always posted by a brand new member who created an account for the exclusive purpose of saying something snarky and nasty about a particular guard or person. And Trish does a great job of monitoring and deleting that stupid garbage right away.

Myself, I tend to lean toward the "rah-rah" side of things most of the time. (Read some of my previous posts...!!!) I What can I say...??? I guess I'm just a cheerleader at heart. Mea culpa.

But I do have opinions - and they're not all "positive." Believe me: there's plenty of stuff/people in this activity that drive me up the frickin', frackin', freakin' wall. And I definitely make my point-of-view known. Dissenting viewpoints are a valid part of any conversation happening anywhere.

The mystery director who thinks that everything here should be "positive" needs to get over it. Seriously. It's as easy as that. Just get over it and move on.

Edited by Mr. Know it all

Long time ago in the 80's we winter guard instructors, from the cold white north, had new years parties at the penthouse (the upper floor of an old 10 story building with lots of room to dance).

At midnight we'd harmoniousy join arm in arm, shoulder to shoulder and say our annual pact "if we #### each other off during the next 365 days, let's say sorry now and have a great new year". We apologized for what we may do before we did it 'cause we promised we would :-)

No one has to apologize for anything! Let's just keep enjoying our acticity and sharing our opinions.

I'll take care of those who cross the line - don't worry!

Thanks all!

most of us posters have been to the rodeo and have no qualms about articulating our concerns by clearly unleashing candor and frankness,if only the same could be said for the judging community.:cool:

Trish:

Please tell that particular instructor to pull on the big boy (or big girl) pants and get over it.

I like seeing realistic show reviews. It keeps it real.