Ever used a "cheater" mouthpiece?

audiodave

Yeah, I used a cheater mouthpiece once. Not proud of it. I had to play the Arutunian for a recital once. I will never use a Bach 1 1/2C again to cheat for tone. If anybody really knows a way to cheat on the trumpet let me know. Pretty sure it takes lots of practice and the right equipment for the job. :sshh:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a Bach 5C, it's the only one that fits my chops right and feels 'good'. I have played cheaters, me and one of my friends found a random cheater that was built like a brick (tiny cup, shallow, but HUGE HEAVYASS mouthpiece). I still have decent range, not screamin, but decent (I'm working on screamin)

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic this,very late but ive just come across it.

AnyHoo,in my sop days i have also used a "cheater" in the form of a jet tone Al Hirt model C,a very tiny double cup but with a comfortable rim that did'nt bite when you piled on the pressure.

Like you say,it takes a lot of control for mid range and to stop sounding thin but upper range i felt i could sustain for longer periods.

In regards to "screaming" i could still nail a double G in a bach 3C,the jet tone just made it easier and with less effort.

I'll weigh in, too, on this interesting subject.

For the past 20 years now I've used a Bach 1-1/2C on trumpet and bugle, and it's worked just fine for low and high range. Whenever I've tried mouthpieces that people have recommended for high range, the pieces have been very shallow cups -- I suppose that's the kind of "cheaters" we're referring to. But you know, I use too darn much pressure, and I bottom out as soon as I go above a high C. So I'm happy to stick with my 1-1/2C. I can still end a tune on a double D if I have to; if I'm feeling lucky, the double F is there.

In the past two years I've started playing piccolo trumpet more often. I didn't like the sound I had with my 1-1/2C, and my endurance wasn't what it should be. I played with a few different pieces, and ended up happy using a Bach 7C for all my picc work. It gives me a little more endurance and the right sound.

If that's cheating, well that's just too bad.