Ever used a "cheater" mouthpiece?

audiodave

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Everyone should only play on comfortable mouthpeices that help you sound the way you want to sound to attract the audience you want to attract. Personally I picked up the trumpet on a 7c Vbach (standard) learned the basics and jumped to a 1c for the rich dark tone I want to play. For leading the jazz band I picked up the shilke 14A4A. I switched off constantly during practice and rehearsal for fatigue and range purposes. Now its all 1c for me to hit a rich dark G (the high, high one). That's just my story/preference/advice I offer to anyone. The only thing that actually gets anything done for range is PRACTICE on LIP SLURS. There are some things that no mouthpiece can do for you so PRACTICE LIP SLURS.

I guess you can call mine a cheater mouthpiece although it's not really too small. I have to use it because i split open my lip in Buffalo in 2001 right before finals, so now I need a cushioned mouthpiece and that one was it. Although it a "cheater" mouthpiece, i still have wonderful tone in the low, middle and upper ranges.

Just for the record, I only used the jet tone during practice.

Usually after a few hours. The instructors could tell of

course and would tell me to take it out and that it

sounded awful!!

On the 81 and 82 recordings i'm using a 3C.

Edited by audiodave

I was playing on a Bach 5B, but I would get really tired when playing for more than an hour or so. Then I bought a Schilke 12B4 - much shallower but not a cheater piece. I added one or two notes but my endurnace and comfort was much better. But I missed the precision of the Bach. So I bought a Bach 3D which I use on my trumpet almost exclusively but still is a lip killer during long rehearsals. The shallower cup dosen't really adds notes to you range - it just makes the higher notes easier to play.

I'm currently messing around with the Bobby Shew lead trumpet mouthpiece (marcinkiewicz something or other). Not exactly a cheater, but it sure sounds good in the upper register and the lower stuff ain't bad either.

I never liked shallow mouthpeices cause tone quality is really bad, but i have a friend who plays on Bach 10 3/4 EW, it is rediculously shallow, and he gets horrible tone quality in the lower register, and he also only added two notes to his range. So i really think its mostly the player, its partially the mouthpiece but mostly the player. I play on a Bach 3C, and my range is better and my tone quality crushes his. So yeah i think its the player.

I've played on a ton of different mouthpieces through the years and I have noticed that the less I practice, the worse I am no matter what mouthpiece I have plugged into the horn. A mouthpiece should be chosen for tone and comfort. If a player has to use the shallow mouthpiece to play get a couple extra notes, that same player isn't likely to go for those extra notes during a real gig (I would strongly recommend against it anyway). I have hit double C's with a Bach 1C and double F's with my Bill Chase model Jet-Tone. I pull the Jet-Tone out for fun and put it away fairly quickly so I won't get too used to it.

The problem with a shallow cup is that it doesn't give a person the workout that he needs in order to maintain proper endurance if he spends all his time on it. When I played in the army, I used a Schilke 14A4A for the main piece and switched to the Dave Stahl Jet-Tone when I thought I needed to. Before I knew it, my chops were addicted to the Shilke and I lost a lot of endurance and tone--also that super -responsiveness that the Shilke had was lost because I got out of shape by using it so much. I eventually found that practice was more important than a shallow mouthpiece that I had tucked away in my bag.

Today, when I play serious trumpet for concert bands and orchestras, I stick with the good ol' Bach 3C. by practicing long, low tones you can get better range and tone --without having to go to the supposed 'cheater.' Now that I've been out of the army a few years and rarely practice, I can still do a couple minutes of low tones and get that fat high G (yes, that one) and lip trill and even get two overtones. I didn't get these nice little tricks from using a cheater mouthpeice, but by practicing and imitating what I heard from my favorite players. All it really comes down to is what you want to sound like, want the style of the piece is, and what quality of sound that you want coming out of your bell.

I did have a little fun at the Loud Music Symposium this year and pulled out my soprano and the ol' Bill Chase and popped out that double D at the end again. The bad part was that I didn't get the volume I wanted and fell down to the high G when I tried to put more air through the mouthpiece. Oh well--it was fun though. :P

Edited by ravedodger

Alex, can I have "#### No" for $500 please.

I play a Greg Black "Joseph Alessi" custom 5.5 for my symphonic playing, and Bowman BB2 for jazz. Love them both, especially the Greg Black.

what do you mean?!.......what did i say that u disagree with?

Alex, can I have "#### No" for $500 please.

I play a Greg Black "Joseph Alessi" custom 5.5 for my symphonic playing, and Bowman BB2 for jazz. Love them both, especially the Greg Black.

what do you mean?!.......what did i say that u disagree with?

I think that he's saying that he's never used a cheater mouthpeice.