Ever used a "cheater" mouthpiece?

audiodave

I remember when you wanted to scream, you'd plug in a Jet Tone T2A.

It was like nickel with a hole in the center!!! instantly added 4-5 notes to

your upper limit! Terrible tone in normal range though- really thin.

Anyone else?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not me.. i know what u mean. This guy in jazz band here does it. I'm currently lead trumpet. But i don't quite have the chops to last a whole set. so he plays lead. But he's always used his assymentric mouthpiece. I hate cheater mouthpeices. I go bigger mp, not smaller. Better for your tone that way, and more control.

This used to kill me between D.C. and Symphonic band. I played Bass Trombone on a 1 1/2c in band and cheated up to a 6 1/2AL because I played lead Bari in DC. Even if i could have found a 2c with a small shank it would have been just too big for what I was playing in D.C. At least i left the 11 and 12 alone!! :P

Come on, it's not cheating, I used Jet-Tones as a young lad also. ^0^ Heck, anything to go a little higher than the next guy, right? I b**bs had both the model with just the flat cup on the end of the shank and the MF style with a little bit of a "V". I still have a flugel horn MF jet-tone mouthpiece but no flugel horn. :whip:

Cheater pieces may gain a tone or two but if you haven't got it, you haven't got it.

We tried testing this theory with 6 horn players of varying accomplishment using a couple of cheater pieces (depending on player prefererence/embochure(sp?)-each player chose) and sure enough, those that could play high, played a little higher. Those that could not, squeaked out a note or two beyond their normal range but could not sustain or provide quality.

It's like any other skill (IMHO), use tools that accentuate your ability, you'll benefit. BUT, if you have limited ability...not so much...

Edited by strutta

I used a Schilke 13a4a for the last two years with my high school band, but im getting away from that. It only added a note maybe two on a good day. Plus it had a bad tone, and Iv found that just playing with the right mindset can get me as high as I need for any given piece. High notes for me are mostly mental and not physical. But in pep band ill get tired and pop it back in to hammer out some high notes.

Guest mafields627

There's no such thing as a cheater mouthpiece. You just have to pick what works best for you. Not everyone can play on a Schilke 14A4a, just as not everyone can play on a Bach 1C. Wynton uses a deep piece, Allen Vizzutti uses a shallow piece. Bud Herseth used a 1 1/2C, Bill Chase used a Schilke 6A4a. It all varies from person to person.