Memphis Sound Move to TX

What good would applying for one of those spots be if it appears the decision for a name change has already been made?

I would love to help out, I have helped MEMPHIS SOUND in more ways than one for a number of years, but keeping a few former members on staff and renaming the corps, after a move to Texas, is not the same Memphis Sound whose history so many of us had a part in creating - no matter which way you cut it, sorry.

I fully support the move as long as it makes the corps a more viable and stable organization so don't mistake my words to mean anything less, however what sense would it make to support a corps, as an alumni, when it isn't even my corps anymore? Sure, helping out any corps, no matter the connection or not, is a great thing (I know); but when you're specifically reaching out to alumni for that help, is changing the name of their corps really the best way to get that help and/or thank them for it?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the new staff luck. I'm sure the move was a difficult decision but having a stable corps should always be the priority.

Either the corps moved this year, or the corps would have been lost. Ask anyone involved in 2008 and you will see.

I would much rather have the corps alive and thriving, than simply a corps you can watch on video and talk about.

This year's Memphis Sound is very much Memphis Sound, just based in another state. The corps will always be Memphis Sound, and will hold on to traditions that are important to the alumni (we've been asking, and those that are involved have made sure what is important to them is staying with the corps, regardless of name and location)

To ensure we can get all the donations and interest we can, the name will change (side note, the name was supposed to be officially changed in 2007 to just 'The Sound', but someone didn't file the paperwork and make it official). If you want it to be something close to Memphis Sound, you can always vote through the system.

If the Crossmen were the Philadelphia Men, their name would have changed completely. It's easy to drop the location from the name, but not everyone thinks 'The Sound' or even 'Texas Sound' should be the name of the corps. The contest came about by suggestions of ALUMNI.

If your only concern is the name, I ask you this.. how good would the name be if there was no corps? You could look back on memories, like Memphis Blues does and not have a current corps to support.

So again, and I will close on this, because I don't think this discussion should be held in a public forum.

The Board has looked into folding the corps in 2007 and 2008, and in 2009 it was the idea to fold the corps. The current situation of the corps before the Texas Project came about would have seen the end of Memphis Sound. Instead, we have researched options to keep the corps alive, surviving and thriving, and Texas became the location. The last few years have seen a huge increase in TX membership (and MS) and a large decrease in TN membership. Staff is largely from TX. Donations from TN have dropped off to nil... in 2009 so far we have gathered more donations and logistical support than the last 2 seasons of Memphis Sound in TN combined.

It would have been much easier for the TX Project to just start their own corps. The people involved have done it before, some of us several times over. Instead we were asked by MYPAA to save the corps and re-invision it to be a World Class Corps in a few years. MYPAA wants a corps that will be around not only 1 year but for decades to come... something the alumni can be proud of to say they marched, even if it was a different name.

Since this thread is not about the Administrative Team (Board and Management Team members), I will ask the moderators to close it. I would ask any alumni who are concerned to get involved or contact me (or any Board Member) directly.

Firstly, as an alum, I am much happier having my corps stay in existence with a different name and/or location than not have my corps at all.

Secondly, a move to a new location does not mean a loss of tradition, and I will personally do anything I can to ensure that.

In addition, in 2007, we had access to the internet occasionally during everydays, and what every one of our members got from the Memphis-area folks here on DCP made us feel like we weren't wanted. We got pretty much the same response from the Memphis area contacts the members had in real life. That being said, everyone wanted us to fit into their own plans for the corps, but no one was willing to do anything but put us down. No one wanted to do anything to help us, the members. No matter how you wanted to spin it, that just came off to us as a slap in our faces. Don't feel bad (if you really would have at that) though, we pretty much just worked harder out of spite. In all honesty, the 2007 hornline was pretty spiteful that summer, but we channeled that into a championship and high brass, so it worked out in the end.

Lastly, and maybe I'm just an odd-ball here, but it's just a name. You could call them the Booger Men for all I care, and they'd still be my corps. It's not the name I love, it's the family I gained, the experiences I had. Heck, most of tour is not even in TN, so it's not like the area is losing the corps for more than a couple of weekends and a few weeks of everydays anyway. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand some people have a problem, but I just don't see why having a corps fold instead of staying around is a bad thing.

To ensure we can get all the donations and interest we can, the name will change (side note, the name was supposed to be officially changed in 2007 to just 'The Sound', but someone didn't file the paperwork and make it official). If you want it to be something close to Memphis Sound, you can always vote through the system.

And yes, he's right about that. I never knew why the name didn't change, but I was there for all the discussions and the decision that landed on "The Sound."

Edited by Nex

Sine the name will be changed, I think it would be awesome for the new one to reflect both Memphis Sound AND Memphis Blues.

I've already said twice how I have no problem with the move and am happy it is taking place to keep the corps running, so I guess this makes three. You can spell doom and gloom if the corps "doesn't move" all you want as part of your argument, fact is I still made it clear I think the move was a good idea.

Sometimes the questions actually being asked just get lost when you try too hard.

I guess it all comes down to making the choice about keeping a corps (any corps) in existence, or serving the youth of a specific area. I'm not advocating one thing or the other... but in this case, it seems that the goal is to have a corps without having to start one from scratch.

This move was planned all along as evident in the name change from "Memphis Youth ..." to "Midsouth Youth ..." When all new staff members are from a specific part of the country you can bet there's something going on.

The next move will be the corps moving from the MYPAA to become part of the (Chris Green started) Frontier organization as a "more efficient" operation. The Memphis board members will be left out in the cold on this one.

Soprano-in-G

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Soprano-in-G

People need to stop speculating doom and gloom here and read Chris's posts. It's not uncommon for a corps to move or for a name to change, or even for a corps' image (uniform, show style, etc...) to change. It happens. The changes are more noticeable now than in the past because there are only a few dozen left in this country (speaking of junior corps only). The organization seems very open for alumni support and are very interested in keeping a corps alive in what's become a very gloomy economic downturn.

If you want to see to it that the corps keeps its "Memphis" heritage or whatnot, then go VOLUNTEER, or get on the board or do something. Complaining here does absolute jack.

Examples of still active corps whose names and/or locations have changed:

Southern Oregon Crusaders (Salem, OR) -> Oregon Crusaders (Portland Area now)

Spirit of Atlanta (Georgia) ->Spirit of JSU -> Spirit (Alabama)

Holy Name Cadets (New Jersey) -> Garield Cadets -> Cadets of Bergen County -> The Cadets (Allentown, PA)

Chicago Cavaliers (Chicago, IL) -> The Cavaliers (Rosemont, IL)

to name a few...

These success stories may be overshadowed by such demises such as Magic, Kavaliers, Bandettes, and many many others, but good things can and do come out of change.

Memphis drum corps is gone... until maybe someone else comes along and tries to start over again.

The examples you give of name changes do not match up the same way, (Just Spirit who has had an identity crisis for a long time now), this is a whole move to a city.

The drum corps "Memphis Sound" has left the building.

Edited by Lancerlady