Memphis Sound Move to TX

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the naysayers, don't you know the proud history of Tennesseeans going down to Texas? Yeah, yeah...the Alamo didn't turn out so well. But we also got Sam Houston out of that pipeline, and he dang near kept us out of the "War of Northern Agression."

According to a program I watched on the History Channel, the Battle of the Alamo was lost because the lines held by the Texans folded so Davy Crockett and the Tennesseans were completely surrounded by Santa Ana. Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Your intentions were to move the corps to Texas from the beginning...because I can FOR CERTAIN say this,

Memphis.....just another victim of staff coming in with their own agenda...

Just...wow! Anyone got an "axe to grind" smiley?? Insert here.

MYPAA is for the education of OUR area... not Texas... and from a music educator standpoint... that education opportunity just left. This goes so far beyond my feelings as a fmm

Nya-nee Nya-nee boo-boo! Now it's for MY area!! Good 'ol D/FW. Come visit some time...wear a smile. Excellent post, btw.

Believe it or not...the number of Tennessee members were far below the number of members from Texas, Oklahome, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

The Dallas / Fort Worth area offers inexpensive flights to either Love Field or DFW Airport. We are also within 7 hours driving distance of most of those states. We are already seeing great support from the Texas band community. Which as you know...has a tendency to not be too drum corps friendly. But, with a staff that comes from such programs as Coppell, Duncanville, Lake Highlands, Katy, Sugarland Clements, etc...the band directors know that their students will receive a quality education and experience.

Just a hunch, but I'll betcha $1 there were more people from North Texas region at Sound than all of Tennessee combined. Same thing at Rockford and Rosemont of late if you widen that to include all of Texas. Who knew?

Oh, and just in case you guys hear a whole bunch of names of Texas high schools that James just quoted and start to snooze, take a look at pretty much any BOA Grand Finals from the last 20 years and let me know how far back you have to go to miss AT LEAST one of those schools. And that's just STAFF!! Geez, that doesn't include LD Bell, Flower Mound Marcus (the last TWO champs??) and Richland (Bill Watson's school) within an easy drive. And just in case Paul Rennick ever cuts one of his guys up at NT...or Marcus ever has a drumline member who wants to march corps...there's Sound, ready, willing and able to take 'em all!

as a former marching member and age out of Memphis Sound, i will fully support my corps, no matter what form/name/state it is in.

as for some of the back and forth between current/former members or associates of the corps, i have to say it is discouraging to see family business being aired for everyone on this forum. it can be completely counter productive for someone to be "introduced" to our family in this manor.

if there are issues on subject...maybe keep it to a PM or an email...

See...not all 21-year old's are dumb. (no offense, pink...you can probably tell that!)

As a Tennessee drum corps fan, I see this helping both Mempho and Music City. Music City will get a very large increase in members in the future, and Mempho dives into the gold mine of talent known as Texas.

I'd be really interested to see how The Artist Formerly Known as Memphis Sound competes for marchers against Revolution and Crossmen.

I'd also be really interested to see how many Tennessee Memphos are going to follow TAFKaMS, or migrate to Music City.

Eh...IMHO, Crossmen now has to compete with Sound for members! Why drive all the way down to San Antone from D/FW?? Sides...we Texans have this nifty intrastate rivalry thing going...gonna be fun to see over the next few years.

P.S. You heard it here first...look for Revo to make the move to Greater Houston!! Equal to the D/FW region in all ways except humidity...takes the cake on that one!

I'm not going to attack this post because its flaunts your youth....but give it a few years and come back to this and you'll see that your statements have NO merit. Especially that first paragraph...and second..and...oh, the whole thing is just the vague perceptions of a high school band member who wants to march corps and thinks they know the music education scene in TN

Careful there, Kettle!

According to a program I watched on the History Channel, the Battle of the Alamo was lost because the lines held by the Texans folded so Davy Crockett and the Tennesseans were completely surrounded by Santa Ana. Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming...

I don't doubt it...that's the way ants fight...superior numbers...the Mexicans only outnumbered the guys at the Alamo about 8,000 to 180...and the men at the Alamo had nary a single casualty before the final day...13 days holding the fort, so to speak! And yeah, the Tennesseans were pretty bad-butt!

Wow--I've got to get on OC board more often!! You guys are as fired up as a good 'ol fashioned 89 "Phantom vs. Phantom" or Star 93 discussion! Actually, those have gotten kind of old...Memphis vs. D/FW...the new Star 93 thread topic??? We'll see!

Guys...I marched a D/FW transplant corps that no longer exists. Jump in behind "your" corps in any way you can. Hey, rockin...want to maintain a West TN presence and pipeline for the memebers??? Organize a show in the area benefitting YOUR corps! At least YOUR corps is still around...one of mine is not...trust me, yours is the preferable situation to be in! Nobody has yet to say that the corps was doing exceptionally in TN...sounds like it was a struggle just to have rehearsals! In TX they could feasibly have the opportunity to launch SEVERAL cadet corps for the munchkins in the area...local stuff only...high schoolers...junior high'ers...maybe even younger!! Raise 'em up from their youth eating, drinking and passionate'ing drum corps...and watch what happens to the organization in coming years if THAT were to happen! Think about it...get kids involved...get parents involved. Get parents involved...get money involved. Get money involved...get MORE money involved! Money goes where the money goes.

Wow--that gives me a whole lot of new ideas to chat with Chris about tonight! What are YOU guys doing tonight...sitting around MOLTING??

you aren't as funny or insightful as you think you are.

Wow...well, now that I've actually read some of the thread me thinks some of you have too much time on your hands over spring break. :lookaround:

Let's take a peek at the situation from an obviously biased viewpoint...and remember, I hardly ever darken the pages of the OC ranks, so take that for what it's worth!

If you wanted access to GREAT facilities, where would you want to start a corps?? C'mon you guys answer...and I'm sure there are more than one place that fits...play along...give me YOUR answers!

If you wanted access to GREAT staff members...I mean the guys with degrees, cert's, JOBS IN THE FIELD, close by so you don't have to pay to put them up in a hotel or fly them in for camps, folks who are vets of the best corps anywhere, all concentrated in close together just looking for the opportunity to earn a little bit extra bling during the summer to pay off those nasty student loans...where would you want to start a corps??? Again, c'mon...give me some options. Assume I have a million bucks laying around...convince me!

If you wanted access to GREAT, talented members...the kind whose mommy and daddy have lots of GREAT money laying around!...where would you want to start a corps???

If you wanted access to a GREAT network of GREAT Booster organizations in high schools to partner with in building a drum corps market, where would you want to start a corps???

If you had to compromise on ONE or TWO of the above, where would you want to start a drum corps???

If you didn't have to compromise on ANY of the above, could you name a place where you would want to start a drum corps???

Can you name 5 places where you could get all of these??? I can name between 5-10...and they're all located in Texas. So I don't get what the fuss is about for an OC corps to move operations to that market. Name change, scmame schmange...big deal. Heck, I say, "From Highland Park/University Park, Texas...the Phantom Regiment!!!" But Rockford don't likey me too much...too critical of operations, I guess!

Oh, and such a move ain't exactly unprecedented...in addition to Crossmen and SkyRyders (a conversation unto itself!), take a peek at how many corps have auditions here. Sound is just planting itself smack dab in the middle of things. Good strategy, quite frankly! I hope they have good connections in the region so as to take advantage of performance opportunities, etc.

you aren't as funny or insightful as you think you are.

I think someone needs to look in the mirror.

Much luck to Memphis Sound on this new venture I have much respect for your group. During my 2 years in Division II/III (as it was back when i marched Teal Sound, lol) I have met several people, members and volunteers, who represented the corps with nothing but class. Whatever you were doing in Memphis you did it right and I'm absolutely certain it will carry over to Texas.