Teaching marching cymbals

ob1thx1138

My sons marching band is going to be marching cymbals for the first time. We are wanting to emulate the SCV style. Does anyone here know if there is a word document or anything that would describe /instruct their style? I am really looking for just the basics and an important part is the nomenclature. I am sure I could just watch the videos and make up my own names, but I would feel much more comfortable instructing them in the proper terminology.

My sons marching band is going to be marching cymbals for the first time. We are wanting to emulate the SCV style. Does anyone here know if there is a word document or anything that would describe /instruct their style? I am really looking for just the basics and an important part is the nomenclature. I am sure I could just watch the videos and make up my own names, but I would feel much more comfortable instructing them in the proper terminology.

You'd probably be better off talking to an actual cymbal tech....reading's fine, but a direct instruction from someone in the know is better....especially if your son goes to a corps and doesn't know a ting from a tong because he's using different terms.

There are some good books and videos out there. Picking up at least one of them would be money well spent.

Eddie Capps' Cymbal Technique 101

Jeff Kozol's Advanced Hand Cymbal Technique for Marching Percussion

Neither of the above are exactly SCV's style, but you could adapt.

The SCV battery audition DVD probably isn't quite as in-depth as the above, but it probably has all the information you're looking for. Leo Sanchez demonstrates most of the basics -- you'd get not only the names you're looking for, but video instruction on the technique behind them. The DVD also includes sheet music for the auditions, so you'd have sample notation, too. And if you're looking to emulate SCV, where better to get the information than right from the source?

Edited by SkyDog

My plug would be for Capps' Cymbal Technique 101. I recently needed to find a book on marching cymbals, and as you can see, they're incredibly rare. Capps (who marched Spirit) has put together a handy reference that covers tying / polishing, playing positions, playing techniques, visual techniques, and advice on writing for cymbals. Also comes with a DVD.

I think it cost me $40, but it's well worth it, I feel.

Mike

Lets see, they never marched cymbals but they know they want to march SCV style? Why not hire a cymbal tech to give some advise and let you know if they SHOULD or COULD march SCV? Perhaps SCV dosent fit in with the rest of the M.B.? Look up MCM from Nashville, they might be able to recommend a tech. and they are a world champ. drum line.

There are some good books and videos out there. Picking up at least one of them would be money well spent.

Eddie Capps' Cymbal Technique 101

Jeff Kozol's Advanced Hand Cymbal Technique for Marching Percussion

Neither of the above are exactly SCV's style, but you could adapt.

The SCV battery audition DVD probably isn't quite as in-depth as the above, but it probably has all the information you're looking for. Leo Sanchez demonstrates most of the basics -- you'd get not only the names you're looking for, but video instruction on the technique behind them. The DVD also includes sheet music for the auditions, so you'd have sample notation, too. And if you're looking to emulate SCV, where better to get the information than right from the source?

Thanks I am pretty sure I am just going to get the audition DVD and info. That seems like the best source so far.

And thanks everyone else for the info. I will definitely keep it in mind and if anyone else has an idea I will appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

For under $10, you can get Thom Hannum's Championship Concepts for Marching Percussion. The man wrote the book on cymbals and the small workbook has a ton of info on how to hold the cymbals (Garfield-style), crash technique, terminology, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to the Zildgian website, you can view some demo videos of the SCV line. Free and a great motivator for the the kids.

FWIW, half the battle of starting a cymbal line is getting the kids past the idea that cymbals are for the members who can't handle anything else.

• 1 month later...

If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact me at jeff@jeffkozol.com.

Thanks,