End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

In what way are current open-class corps managers falling short, in your opinion?

By not realizing the purpose of their programs; to provide a competitive performance opportunity to students that either choose not to, or are not able to perform at the World Class level due to various life, financial, and personal restrictions. Open Class corps management is failing in regards to the fact that their only concern is the expansion of their programs to someday perform in the World Class, and not to maintain stability and create a rewarding, smaller program right now...

This is why we are seeing open class corps come out for a year or two, then dissolve. These programs want to be the "next big thing," and all they have in sight are lofty goals. The open class corps that have existed forever and will continue to exist forever function on the principal of community and longevity, and know that the best service to their students is staying small and focused.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what way are current open-class corps managers falling short, in your opinion?

That would lure me down a path that I don't wish to go down. Let's just leave it at that. It takes more than good intentions to run a business these days. A lot more.

The open class corps that have existed forever and will continue to exist forever function on the principal of community and longevity, and know that the best service to their students is staying small and focused.

Maybe some just don't know when to quit?

Maybe some just don't know when to quit?

so....in other words, go big or go home? I'm sorry, I dont agree with that. I think the smaller corps out there serve a distinct purpose that DCI doesn't understand or care about. Small corps are the pride of their communities and give local kids a place to learn and grow. Big corps that recruit from everywhere but their hometown and have million dollar budgets only help kids with trust funds whose parents pay for everything; who plan on becoming professional musicians and higher-earning members of society. Some of us weren't cut out for those opportunities, and that is why small, local drum corps must be maintained and not forced into the mainstream DCI influences.

Edited by ussglassman

so....in other words, go big or go home? I'm sorry, I dont agree with that.

Never in a million years would I say "go big or go home." Nice try on the dramatic flair, though. I'm not one of the people who thinks bigger is better. I do think, however, that better is better. Go better or stay home... and I'm not talking about better = higher score, either. Keeping a drum corps on the road for the sake of keeping it on the road, without any plan for improving the organization in terms of volunteer base, quality of transportation and other "member services," improving the quality of instruction, etc., is wrong. Merely "existing" is wrong.

He shoots, he scores!!!

:thumbup:

Never in a million years would I say "go big or go home." Nice try on the dramatic flair, though. I'm not one of the people who thinks bigger is better. I do think, however, that better is better. Go better or stay home... and I'm not talking about better = higher score, either. Keeping a drum corps on the road for the sake of keeping it on the road, without any plan for improving the organization in terms of volunteer base, quality of transportation and other "member services," improving the quality of instruction, etc., is wrong. Merely "existing" is wrong.

This is kinda becoming a wierd debate between one drum corps junkie vs another, and I think we both equally believe in the idea of the Open Class. I just feel that if a smaller corps doesnt want to follow the template of DCI and spend $$$$ and resources trying to tour, thats their perogative. If they are keeping their doors open for kids to enjoy performing, that is the most important part. I dont think there are any drum corps programs in existence who arent working to improve, but they should be improving for themselves and what they stand for, not the desires of DCI.

This is kinda becoming a wierd debate between one drum corps junkie vs another, and I think we both equally believe in the idea of the Open Class. I just feel that if a smaller corps doesnt want to follow the template of DCI and spend $$$$ and resources trying to tour, thats their perogative. If they are keeping their doors open for kids to enjoy performing, that is the most important part. I dont think there are any drum corps programs in existence who arent working to improve, but they should be improving for themselves and what they stand for, not the desires of DCI.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that...including DCI. There are Open class corps that attend local shows and don't make the trip to Nationals every year. I don't see it as a requirement that they go. Depending on the aims of the particular corps, it might make it tough to attract members, but if their goal is to provide a local experience as you not, than for those corps maybe not. If they don't have the resources, they should NEVER attempt such as huge trip.

As for improving...DCI is the corps. It's in their best interest to see corps improve and remain/become strong inside and outside. It's for the benefit of the members at the end of the day, not DCI-the-organization.

I dont think there are any drum corps programs in existence who arent working to improve, but they should be improving for themselves and what they stand for...

You're right. They should.

Big corps that recruit from everywhere but their hometown and have million dollar budgets only help kids with trust funds whose parents pay for everything; who plan on becoming professional musicians and higher-earning members of society. Some of us weren't cut out for those opportunities, and that is why small, local drum corps must be maintained and not forced into the mainstream DCI influences.

Where is this misconception about the modern day corps members coming from (see the area I highlighted)? Whether you believe it or not, I can tell you from personal experience and knowledge that there are still a ton of kids marching corps who do not come from well-to-do families. These kids work many hours a week at real jobs, on top of going to school, playing sports, etc., to earn their tour fees and expenses. My son is working 20-25 hours a week this year at a local grocer to earn his, and another member I have been driving to camps from a few years has worked at Fedex from 2:00 - 7:00 AM every day to earn his. Neither family involved is wealthy, these kids just love corps and work their ###es off to pay for it. I know alot of other members that do the same or more.