End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

Yeah, I help to sponsor a student here in Tempe. This person is a recent college graduate, has begun their teaching career and was asked to perform in a Winterguard. The choice was going to be Winterguard only until I was asked if I could help sponsor this person for their age out year in drum corps.

I helped sponsor a member last year so I said, "What the heck, why not." So, I am sponoring this person this year. This person would most likely not be able to otherwise march because of the other committments and financial obligations...student loans, etc.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if more kids stopped being in DCA corps, DCI open Class corps could be a little stronger.....

So are we going to tell kids they cannot march DCA? What about if they cannot afford an open class DCI corps? The CorpsVets ask for $600.00 in exchange for weekend rehearsals, a dozen performances, and a chance to make many friends and experience drum corps. Kids go to DCA (at least in regards to CV) to get their feet wet and learn the tools of the trade. Almost all these kids are local to the Atlanta area and have gone on to march in corps such as Spirit, Memphis, and Scouts. Had it not been for CorpsVets, it is possible these kids would not have had any chance to march with these groups.

The answer is not to stop kids from marching in DCA corps... in fact, there isn't really one correct answer to this issue. Maybe DCA and open class corps could start some sort of loose partnership or share shows much like MCL did last year or how the SoCal corps do. Maybe Open class corps can worry more about local shows and tour less. Maybe open class corps don't need to cost $1000.00's of dollars. I really dont know and am not going to pretend that I do. All I know is the current situation seems to be lacking.

Edited by UWGKKpsi

So are we going to tell kids they cannot march DCA? What about if they cannot afford an open class DCI corps? The CorpsVets ask for $600.00 in exchange for weekend rehearsals, a dozen performances, and a chance to make many friends and experience drum corps. Kids go to DCA (at least in regards to CV) to get their feet wet and learn the tools of the trade. Almost all these kids are local to the Atlanta area and have gone on to march in corps such as Spirit, Memphis, and Scouts. Had it not been for CorpsVets, it is possible these kids would not have had any chance to march with these groups.

:thumbup:

Also it's a mite late to tell the under 21 set not to march in All Age corps.... And "mite" = longer than DCI has been in existance.....

s/ Guy who started with a Senior corps that was about 50% under 21. Mainly because the "Weekend Warrior" mode with a local corps was a better fit.

Where is this misconception about the modern day corps members coming from (see the area I highlighted)? Whether you believe it or not, I can tell you from personal experience and knowledge that there are still a ton of kids marching corps who do not come from well-to-do families. These kids work many hours a week at real jobs, on top of going to school, playing sports, etc., to earn their tour fees and expenses. My son is working 20-25 hours a week this year at a local grocer to earn his, and another member I have been driving to camps from a few years has worked at Fedex from 2:00 - 7:00 AM every day to earn his. Neither family involved is wealthy, these kids just love corps and work their ###es off to pay for it. I know alot of other members that do the same or more.

I honor anyone who has the conviction to work, go to school, and march drum corps. I worked full time right until I went on tour, and luckily my job was still there when I got back. I spoke of kids with trust funds, etc, because a large percentage of kids involved in top drum corps come from very well-to-do families, whose parents foot the bill for everything. While there are quite a lot of kids who work to make it on their own, it is quite difficult, and often impossible to work a job and support yourself if you march a World Class corps. Thats what I was referring to before, that Open class corps cater more towards those kids who have to pay bills and help their families. They dont perform and practice as much, but still provide a rewarding experience. Open class corps and DCA corps are one in the same. The ONLY difference is the age limit. All I can say is that whoever decides to support the open class, that they encourage growth of new units, and stop forcing undersized and underfunded drum corps programs out of business because they don't plan to upgrade to World Class.

I honor anyone who has the conviction to work, go to school, and march drum corps. I worked full time right until I went on tour, and luckily my job was still there when I got back. I spoke of kids with trust funds, etc, because a large percentage of kids involved in top drum corps come from very well-to-do families, whose parents foot the bill for everything. While there are quite a lot of kids who work to make it on their own, it is quite difficult, and often impossible to work a job and support yourself if you march a World Class corps. Thats what I was referring to before, that Open class corps cater more towards those kids who have to pay bills and help their families. They dont perform and practice as much, but still provide a rewarding experience. Open class corps and DCA corps are one in the same. The ONLY difference is the age limit. All I can say is that whoever decides to support the open class, that they encourage growth of new units, and stop forcing undersized and underfunded drum corps programs out of business because they don't plan to upgrade to World Class.

Again, I really don't know which corps you are referring to where "a large percentage of kids involved in top drum corps come from very well-to-do families" (your words...not mine).

I invite you to come to Tempe and spend a weekend with the Academy. I will ask all of our parents to bring their 2008 1040s and we can set up a table where you can glance at the bottom line if you'd like. I think you might correct your misconceptions and mistatements.

I honor anyone who has the conviction to work, go to school, and march drum corps. I worked full time right until I went on tour, and luckily my job was still there when I got back. I spoke of kids with trust funds, etc, because a large percentage of kids involved in top drum corps come from very well-to-do families, whose parents foot the bill for everything. While there are quite a lot of kids who work to make it on their own, it is quite difficult, and often impossible to work a job and support yourself if you march a World Class corps.

How do you know that? Have you surveyed the families of those who make up the world class membership?

Thats what I was referring to before, that Open class corps cater more towards those kids who have to pay bills and help their families. They dont perform and practice as much, but still provide a rewarding experience. Open class corps and DCA corps are one in the same. The ONLY difference is the age limit. All I can say is that whoever decides to support the open class, that they encourage growth of new units, and stop forcing undersized and underfunded drum corps programs out of business because they don't plan to upgrade to World Class.

Open class deserves to be encouraged for it's own benefit. Who is DCI "forcing..out of business"? And how are they doing this, exactly? The corps decide on their own if and when they want to move up to World class. DCI didn't force Surf to move up, for example...Bob Jacobs and his admin team decided the time is right to do so. Given his track record with Surf...and the care that he has taken with them over the years...I can't see him doing anything but what he and his team thinks is best for his corps and members.

Well...I was just throwing an idea out...given school start times, it might be that Opens choosing to not go to DCI and do DCA West shows might be the most feasible...if for nothing else than for the fact that DCI shows are done by mid/late July...there could be an additional 4-6 weeks of shows out here, and those Open kids could get more bang for their buck...at the same time Dream and Renegades could get more performances in.

Some of those kids in Pioneer leave immediately after finals, some sooner, because of school commitments. A huge reason why there is DCA in New York state and it works well is because the schools dont get out until LATE June. DCA fits better in New York state for high school kids.

Donny

Some of those kids in Pioneer leave immediately after finals, some sooner, because of school commitments. A huge reason why there is DCA in New York state and it works well is because the schools dont get out until LATE June. DCA fits better in New York state for high school kids.

Donny

I just grabbed Pio to use as an example, Donny, not specifying that Pio should consider the idea...I could've easily pick any other corps.

It will end December 12, 2012 when the apocalypse happens. :rolleyes:

It will end December 12, 2012 when the apocalypse happens. :huh:

That's 12-21-12.

12-12-12 is my son's birthday.

:rolleyes: