WGI surprises and breakdowns

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regarding the independent open class,northgate independent has a very appealing program with a pure and pleasing approach to design,good performance qualities and all around artistic construction.this entertaining show has lot's of beautifull moments and will look great at wgi! :smile:

Awww.....thanks!! :blink:

The kids are having a great time this season, and we're really enjoying our time in IO so far! See you in Dayton! :smile:

No, the standard has not gone down of what we expect in a world class show but the number of guards that can reach that level is more or less destroyed with the absence of guards like Fantasia, Pride, St. Anns, San Jose Raiders, Patriots, and Northern Lights. Save for expert staging from SCV last year and Blessed Sac in general.

Corona is doing the right thing by pushing themselves to attain that level but to me they haven't adequately improved from the bottom up. Same things that perhaps kept them in the middle of the pack in years past is still being seen. Northeast Independent is improving slowly but surely, look at how every year they get progressively better in everything and achieving at the same time, Corona is missing the achievement imo. Maybe this year will be different and they will officially break into that higher level.

Try as hard as they might, I don't see them raising the standard until they address other things, but maybe....just maybe. Depends on how bad they want it.

I would argue that the standard has gone down. Better yet, it is selectively applied. World class teams should be performing world class quality shows. Repeated ideas, repetitive and thin movement vocabularies paired with mediocre equipment writing does not add up to world class by definition.

your right at first i think all the members were bummed about being promoted but i think after much thought about it we were overall proud of such an amazing accomplishment and we are confident we WILL do well in open class :doh:

Hey I was psyched for y'all, Im glad they gave the promotion you guys deserved :tounge2:

I would argue that the standard has gone down. Better yet, it is selectively applied. World class teams should be performing world class quality shows. Repeated ideas, repetitive and thin movement vocabularies paired with mediocre equipment writing does not add up to world class by definition.

The standard is still there had those groups still been out, but when I think of a gold medalist show I will still compare them too

other amazing shows of the 2000s but I also agree with you, the standard of what a 90 was at this time last year and this year is completely different

(with this years 90 being a easier 90 to achieve=lower standard)

I just wasn't going to be so bold to just throw that out there. Good thing you were! :tounge2:

There's more than one baton twirler in their guard. Aimachi is impeccable in their control, design, flow of show, and they are normally clean. A twirler, who doesn't

even receive an equipment score isn't going to help much (except maybe in GE)

The twirlers do get judged in equipment. Though baton doesn't count towards your minimum equipment time with the T&P judge, the equipment sheet says "choreography includes all the skills within the flag, rifle, sabre, or prop vocabulary" They will assess any piece of equipment you manipulate.

I do love the show, really I do. I can not wait to see it cleaned up for finals. I was just amazed that they kept tricks in with that many drops, and it was a LOT of drops. I was also kinda taken aback when i saw retreads of some of the tricks, i.e. the sitting in the diagonal and tossing the rifle to the person behind from 2007 and the toss and pull the ankles of the person doing the handstand behind you to catch from 2008. Also, again with the two-tone unitards.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe since this is the last year that maybe it's a "best of"????

Yeah, also, that might have just not been a good run for Corona. It's easy to pick apart since that run has been immortalized on the Fan Network, but it could be just be one of those shows. I watched their first show on there and it's not nearly as droptastic. If you watch Crown Guard from their recent performance, one would probably think that their show would need to be watered down too, but yet again, their other regional finals performance was wonderful, so one viewing of the show can be deceiving.

While it might be easy to look at that one run and say make it easier, it is also apparent that these performers CAN pull off their show. And if they do when it matters, it will be really exciting, something really worth seeing.

Edited by Stick Stack

The twirlers do get judged in equipment. Though baton doesn't count towards your minimum equipment time with the T&P judge, the equipment sheet says "choreography includes all the skills within the flag, rifle, sabre, or prop vocabulary" They will assess any piece of equipment you manipulate.

Then are the curved rifles now counted as equipment? I was going based off the last I heard of that rule. WGI judges most likely aren't trained to know good technique in baton, cleanliness maybe, but that isn't enough.

btw, I've learned some baton before....it's freakin hard.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe since this is the last year that maybe it's a "best of"????

Trish I know you love Corona and I like them as well. I am not picking on them. I am a guy who started spinning rifle in the 80's after seeing Cavies. You can't love the Cavaliers of the 80's without loving TRICKS (no pun intended). Corona is one of the few IW shows I care to see on Fan Network. I hope they are a lot cleaner at WGI and hope they make top 5

Is this really a best of show? I hadn't heard that.