Mid Hudson Valley of New York

There was a time when the Hudson Valley had a bunch of Drum Corps: Kingston Indians, Poughkeepsie Pacers, Vagabonds, Criterions, Chanlers, Mid Hudson Rivermen, etc. These corps were huge in their day and had very loyal friends and fans.

It's time to bring Drum and Bugle Corps back to the Valley. This is for all those folks who want a hometown corps. Stop travelling to New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.

Drum and Bugle Corps starting practices in the mid-hudson valley. We have the equipment, and are looking for those interested in participating. The goal is to turn this into a field competetive unit. However, we are interested in starting smaller ensembles as well: mini-corps, brass ensembles, percussion ensemble, etc. We have performances scheduled throughout the year.

• Horn players

• Drummers

• Color guard

• Support staff

• Instructional staff

• Web site support

• Everyone is welcome to participate

Please send a note to Hudson Valley Drum Corps Interest with your name, area of interest as well as a means of contacting you and we’ll be happy to provide more information.

Awesome responses so far, thanks. It's good to see there are real drum corps people in the Hudson Valley. There's a surprising number of former Cabs and Sky alumni here.

In response to some of the questions I've received so far:

We have mostly Kanstul G bugles, and a complete set of Yamaha drums.

We are looking for a Director's advisory board as well.

We are planning our base of operations in the dutchess/orange county region along the Interstate 84 and 87 corridors.

Keep the questions coming. This is great.

HELLO BRAIN,

JUST WONDERING IF YOU HAVE REALLY DONE YOUR RESEARCH?

IN YOUR AREA ALONE, (HUDSON VALLEY), YOU HAVE THE 20TH CENTURY LIMITED(NON-COMPETITIVE PARADE UNIT), A GREAT LITTLE CORPS THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS AND RIGHT UP THE INTERSTATE A BIT TO ALBANY YOU HAVE EXCELSIOR(DCA SANCTIONED COMPETITIVE CORPS).

THERE IS ALSO DK PRODUCTIONS IN YOUR AREA WHICH HAS ASPIRATIONS OF A DCI LEVEL COMPETITIVE CORPS IN JUST A FEW YEARS AND THEN THERE IS CAPITAL BRASS IN THE ALBANY AREA ALSO. (SEMI-PROFESSIONAL MINI-CORPS GROUP)

NOT A WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE POOL TO BE STARTING YET ANOTHER GROUP.

HAVING EQUIPMENT IS A GOOD START, BUT WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THE BODIES?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW, OR SHOULD I SAY "BRAINS"?

We all complain about the fact that life S U C K S because there is no longer a corps on every corner as there was in the 1960's...

Then a guy gets criticized for checking on interest in an area?

I'm having problems digesting that... don't we want to see more corps? As I see it:

1. It's a darn long way to Albany from there... don't see the criticism applying there... driving over 100 miles to participate happens but in the long run it's unhealthy and destabilizing... been there - done that...

2. Yes, there are a lot of x corps people in the area and frankly, I believe anyone trying to start a new corps will only find a handful with interest in that from these experienced people. The success of starting a new corps NEVER comes (in any quantity) from the ranks of other all aged competitive corps... That's just not going to happen... New recruiting from High School and College kids is generally what leads to success in starting a corps...

3. Twentieth Century has found its niche in life and is a parade corps. This person has clearly stated he is interested in starting a competing corps. By virtue of his posting in this section of DCP - I feel it's safe to assume he's thinking all aged. The differences between the two should mean they are recruiting from different pools of talent... I see no problem there.

4. All that being said and knowing there's some 50 million people in driving range of the area... anyone starting a new corps in the area must realize that it is highly unlikely they will draw anyone from one of the major finalist corps to quit that corps and join them... that too, would be a very low probability... they (the new corps) should also resolve themselves that if they make it to the field... that on occasion, members will quit (hopefully at the right time) and go march with one of the older organizations... been there - done that... accept it and move on... with 4 major corps and few other lessor corps in such a small geographic area - there WILL always be some movement of personnel between corps... accept it... change happens...

Having a full set of horns and drums to start with is impressive... good luck with it...

We all complain about the fact that life S U C K S because there is no longer a corps on every corner as there was in the 1960's...

Then a guy gets criticized for checking on interest in an area?

I'm having problems digesting that... don't we want to see more corps? As I see it:

1. It's a darn long way to Albany from there... don't see the criticism applying there... driving over 100 miles to participate happens but in the long run it's unhealthy and destabilizing... been there - done that...

2. Yes, there are a lot of x corps people in the area and frankly, I believe anyone trying to start a new corps will only find a handful with interest in that from these experienced people. The success of starting a new corps NEVER comes (in any quantity) from the ranks of other all aged competitive corps... That's just not going to happen... New recruiting from High School and College kids is generally what leads to success in starting a corps...

3. Twentieth Century has found its niche in life and is a parade corps. This person has clearly stated he is interested in starting a competing corps. By virtue of his posting in this section of DCP - I feel it's safe to assume he's thinking all aged. The differences between the two should mean they are recruiting from different pools of talent... I see no problem there.

4. All that being said and knowing there's some 50 million people in driving range of the area... anyone starting a new corps in the area must realize that it is highly unlikely they will draw anyone from one of the major finalist corps to quit that corps and join them... that too, would be a very low probability... they (the new corps) should also resolve themselves that if they make it to the field... that on occasion, members will quit (hopefully at the right time) and go march with one of the older organizations... been there - done that... accept it and move on... with 4 major corps and few other lessor corps in such a small geographic area - there WILL always be some movement of personnel between corps... accept it... change happens...

Having a full set of horns and drums to start with is impressive... good luck with it...

Ya know I think after this summer, if I don't miss my guess with the economy and fuel prices, you will see a resurgence of "regionalization" of drum corps and possibly you will realize success.

I wish you well.

There was a time when the Hudson Valley had a bunch of Drum Corps: Kingston Indians, Poughkeepsie Pacers, Vagabonds, Criterions, Chanlers, Mid Hudson Rivermen, etc. These corps were huge in their day and had very loyal friends and fans.

It's time to bring Drum and Bugle Corps back to the Valley. This is for all those folks who want a hometown corps. Stop travelling to New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.

Drum and Bugle Corps starting practices in the mid-hudson valley. We have the equipment, and are looking for those interested in participating. The goal is to turn this into a field competetive unit. However, we are interested in starting smaller ensembles as well: mini-corps, brass ensembles, percussion ensemble, etc. We have performances scheduled throughout the year.

• Horn players

• Drummers

• Color guard

• Support staff

• Instructional staff

• Web site support

• Everyone is welcome to participate

Please send a note to Hudson Valley Drum Corps Interest with your name, area of interest as well as a means of contacting you and we’ll be happy to provide more information.

Brian,

Speaking on Bahalf of the Sounds of Philadelphia, I applaud your decision to start a new Corps. if there is anything we can do to help don't hesitate to contact me directly and i will do whatever i can to help. always glad to see another corps, we need so many more..

Brain (Brian? LOL)

I am very very excited to hear about this initiative.

I remember several of the corps you mentioned, particularly the Kingston Indians and Poughkeepsie Pacers. All fond memories.

Please put me on your recruitment list for sure.

Thanks!

Art,

Who really cares as long as there's another corps. White Sabres were a parade corps for decades and look at them now...very good corps. Maybe DCA will be like the old DCI days.

HELLO BRAIN,

IN YOUR AREA ALONE, (HUDSON VALLEY), YOU HAVE THE 20TH CENTURY LIMITED(NON-COMPETITIVE PARADE UNIT), A GREAT LITTLE CORPS THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS AND RIGHT UP THE INTERSTATE A BIT TO ALBANY YOU HAVE EXCELSIOR(DCA SANCTIONED COMPETITIVE CORPS).

THERE IS ALSO DK PRODUCTIONS IN YOUR AREA WHICH HAS ASPIRATIONS OF A DCI LEVEL COMPETITIVE CORPS IN JUST A FEW YEARS AND THEN THERE IS CAPITAL BRASS IN THE ALBANY AREA ALSO. (SEMI-PROFESSIONAL MINI-CORPS GROUP)

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW, OR SHOULD I SAY "BRAINS"?

HELLO BRAIN,

Hi Art,

I see I may have confused matters by generically referring to "Hudson Valley drum corps" in my post yet naming this thread "Mid Hudson Valley." This is for Drum Corps in the Mid-Hudson Valley

I've lived in the Mid-Hudson Valley all my life, except for the summers when my parents sent me to live in the south bronx with my grandmother. :-) I'm pretty familiar with the corps in the area. I've even performed in a few. For me, the MID-Hudson Valley falls between Kingston at the north end and Peekskill at the south end. It's about an hours drive between Kingston and Peekskill. Realistically the potential pool of members would come from about 30 minutes around the midpoint, perhaps orange and dutchess counties being ground zero. I think it's reasonable to drive 30 minutes to a competetive field unit. With that assumption, we could expect to draw from as far west as middletown, ny and as far east as Danbury, ct. Albany is about 2 hours drive north from this midpoint. Personally, If I were going to do that much driving, Id rather drive an hour and a half to the south and pick the Skyliners, Cabs, Bushwackers etc... or I could drive an hour and twenty minutes east to march the Hurricanes. They are much closer to the midhudson valley than Albany.

I think the mid-hudson valley is the perfect distance away from the other competetive field corps, because kids with interest in marching in a field competetive unit are not likely to travel more than 30 minutes to a corps, and if they did, it would most likely be a junior corps.

Im looking to gauge the interest level of folks for a local field corps. So far I haven't been dissappointed. Some of the emails I've received are very encouraging.

To answer another question I've received - this will be an all aged drum corps.

Thanks everyone, and please keep the questions coming. Mid-Hudson Valley Drum Corps Interest

Brain (Brian? LOL)

I am very very excited to hear about this initiative.

I remember several of the corps you mentioned, particularly the Kingston Indians and Poughkeepsie Pacers. All fond memories.

Please put me on your recruitment list for sure.

Thanks!

Oh man, I remember watching the Criterions performing their field show after marching a parade in the 80's. I had some friends that marched in the Indians. Unfortunately they folded before I had a chance to march with them.