Texas shows

Quite a Texas thing to say.

I'm just saying: People make such a big deal out of Texas. How hot it is. How good the bands are. Etc...

Not such a fan of the heat, but in all honesty the fact that the high school bands there are on a much higher level than most states is almost undeniable

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not such a fan of the heat, but in all honesty the fact that the high school bands there are on a much higher level than most states is almost undeniable

Quite honestly, I don't think that EVERY school in Texas is what its made out to be. So many people make out every single high school band from Texas as one of the best programs in the nation. Period. The thing is, there are SOOOO many schools in Texas, that the really good ones get all the attention, and it blows everything out of proportion. You have gotta admit that there are fewer good/great programs then there are bad/mediocre in ANY state. Its just that there are so many in Texas because its such a big state with such a large population, that the schools get so much more attention. There are other states that are probably on average comparatively similar to Texas, just they don't get all the attention that Texas gets because they are so much smaller so there are a fewer actual number of stand-out programs.

How would you go about doing that, anyway? :tongue:

Give Florida a large dose of the little blue pill?

Quite honestly, I don't think that EVERY school in Texas is what its made out to be. So many people make out every single high school band from Texas as one of the best programs in the nation. Period. The thing is, there are SOOOO many schools in Texas, that the really good ones get all the attention, and it blows everything out of proportion. You have gotta admit that there are fewer good/great programs then there are bad/mediocre in ANY state. Its just that there are so many in Texas because its such a big state with such a large population, that the schools get so much more attention. There are other states that are probably on average comparatively similar to Texas, just they don't get all the attention that Texas gets because they are so much smaller so there are a fewer actual number of stand-out programs.

Of course there are more mediocre bands in the state. However, in the larger populated areas like Dallas and Austin or Houston, I'd still say there are more quality programs by proportion than when compared to other states such as Indiana and Georgia. But you are absolutley right in that one of the main reasons that there are so many good bands there is just because the state is so darn big.

I'm just saying: People make such a big deal out of Texas. How hot it is. How good the bands are. Etc...

It's way hotter in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma. Hell, in 2002, it was hotter in Michigan.

The Alamo Dome blows.

Every school I stayed in was a dump.

I just didn't get what all the fuss was.

And that was the basis for "**** Texas?" Geez.

Native Texan here, and usually I just let this stuff roll off my back. I guess I got tired of it today for some reason.

Yes, it CAN be hotter in just about any other state at any given time. Did you do some meteorological research to base your argument on? I'm not saying Texas is way hotter. I don't care. Just curious why this was a big deal to you. From a lifelong experience of living here: yes, it's effing HOT in the summer. I'm sure people in all of the states you initially listed have similar experiences. I'm sure that if you were around great numbers of them, you'd notice they probably make a big deal about it from time to time.

Every school you stayed in was a dump? Sorry to hear that. Just like every other state, we have dumps and we have castles. You drew the crappy lottery ticket. I'm sorry you didn't get to have a better experience. If anything, say **** the Texas board of education for not making every school like the finest ones in the wealthiest school districts.

The Alamo Dome does blow, IMO. I don't like indoor drum corps, but for now I have to live with it. Most everyone I talk to who go to shows in Texas prefer the outdoor venues. Luckily I'll get to see a couple of outdoor shows in Texas, too. I feel blessed to have that opportunity within a few hours drive. Then again, many drum corps fans in other states could drive 4 hours to a show like I will, but for them that means they will be in a different state. More shows in Texas doesn't makes Texas special. It just means Texas has enough large population centers and active band programs spread over hundreds of square miles to sustain more than one show in the state.

So.... **** Texas why? Oh wait. you meant Texans! That's better. :tongue:

Edited by TerriTroop

It's way hotter in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma. Hell, in 2002, it was hotter in Michigan.

The Alamo Dome blows.

Dude, seriously, lay off. If you feel that Texas was cooler than the other states, then great, you must have lucked out in Texas, and got the short end of the stick in Mississippi or Michigan. We have a lot more stadiums than just the Alamodome. And yes, there are a lot of crappy schools in Texas. There are lot of crappy schools I've stayed in for just about every other state, too.

One of my friends said it best (I'm paraphrasing):

"Texas sucks. My state sucks. Most states suck. What pisses me off is that Texans, unlike residents of other states, don't realize that their state sucks."

I should add that I was born in Texas and actually live here now. It's not all it's cracked up to be. I'll agree -- it's just like every other state. There are good parts and there are bad parts. The one thing that's completely beyond argument is that Texas cities blow. Houston - dump. San Antonio - the River Walk and Alamo are cool, but there's not much else. Dallas is like a slightly more cosmopolitan version of Houston. Austin's just about the only place worth mentioning - and I do have to admit Austin is kick-###. But nothing compared to the huge diversity of cities there are up North or even out West.

The Alamo Dome blows.

I wish more northerners thought this. Way too many people moving down here as it is. :tongue:

edit: smiley added--I'm just kidding. (Well, sort of!)

Edited by year1buick

"Texas sucks. My state sucks. Most states suck. What pisses me off is that Texans, unlike residents of other states, don't realize that their state sucks."

And it couldn't have ever been put any better...ever. End of discussion.

The Alamo Dome blows.

The four hottest states in the US are Arizona, Nevada, California, and Texas. The southeastern US is the rainiest part of the country, but Texas gets MUCH less rain than those states do. Currently, most of central Texas is in an intensely severe drought, and the rest of the state just in a severe drought. Unlike most of the south, our climate is a mix of the southeastern (humid subtropical) and southwestern (semi-arid) states, which basically means we get all of the humidity and none of the rain.

Has Michigan had 30 straight days of 100+ degree temperatures? In your experience I'm sure you've had a summer where the days you spent in Texas were cooler than those you spent in other southern states, but how logical would it be to extrapolate that experience of yours into a statement that the other states you've visited are empirically hotter?

Sources: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extr...ties-summer.php http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

I don't like the Alamodome, either. I'm not sure why it was ever built.

I'm not going to pretend we don't have our share of terrible facilities, but most of our schools are nice, most of our high school stadiums are turf, etc.

The thing is, if you split up the three major metro areas of Texas into three states, each one would be considered exceptional, DFW and Houston especially.

And contrary to your opinion that the really good ones getting all of the attention blow the numbers out of proportion, I would argue that there are so many other good bands that don't get attention because of the ones that do. Everyone knows of LD Bell, Reagan, Churchill, Marcus, etc., but there are a ton of other great programs that just can't afford to fly up to Indy. It would be neat if BOA GNs were held halfway between Texas and Indiana one year, or heck, in Texas for one year.

Texans are a naturally proud people, and it tends to permeate everything we do well. I'm not sure how much Texas history is taught in other states, outside of maybe the Alamo, but Texas has a lot to be proud of. And at least while I was attending school, we were sort of indoctrinated into that proud Texan mentality.

Maybe it wasn't jealousy that provoked your initial post, but I can't imagine that it was anything positive.