3. Cabs 386

1. Bushwackers 390

2. Statesmen 384

3. Buccs 381

1. Buccs 391

2. Bushwackers 385

3. Statesmen 383

interesting.

one of the best in DCA every year, one of the most fun to listen to, and, it seems, one of the best scoring.

Penalized for playing G bugles aaallll the way down to . . . .First Place?

In DCA, it ain't what you play, it's how you play. As it should be!

Go Statesmen! :smile:

but of course, as Smoothy says, scores schmores.

Edited by John H

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The score shouldn't have been that close, the Buccs should have won by a lot more. The Buccaneers have been winning because of lots of reasons. (I believe we discussed this ad nausea on another thread... preparation, efficient rehearsals, organization, recruiting, etc.) But they have also had the best programmed shows in recent years. And this was certainly the case in 2006. The Buccs, based solely on GE, probably should have won that show by a full point. The sheets are set up so that GE trumps execution. That's how you can win a few captions and come in third. (well, that and for the most part, the drum judges are the only ones with the cajones to put adequate spreads up there. So if you take drums and GE you're pretty much a lock.)

The Buccs very smartly, and effectively program their shows to win. They grab as many of those GE points that are out there. And that's not to say they don't execute. They certainly do. But they don't have to win horns, guard marching etc to win. They just have to be good enough in those captions. It's been the strength of their shows that's won them their championships. And as cool as the moving piano was, it just wasn't on the level of Buccs' show.

Edited by Bushsop89

It's been the strength of their shows that's won them their championships.

I agree.

Taking nothing away at all from any of the other top contenders... let's face it, you're not a top five corps in DCA unless you have some really good stuff going on.... but the Bucs' overall coordination of all the elements in their shows has put them over the top, IMO.

Fran

The score shouldn't have been that close, the Buccs should have won by a lot more. The Buccaneers have been winning because of lots of reasons. (I believe we discussed this ad nausea on another thread... preparation, efficient rehearsals, organization, recruiting, etc.) But they have also had the best programmed shows in recent years. And this was certainly the case in 2006. The Buccs, based solely on GE, probably should have won that show by a full point. The sheets are set up so that GE trumps execution. That's how you can win a few captions and come in third. (well, that and for the most part, the drum judges are the only ones with the cajones to put adequate spreads up there. So if you take drums and GE you're pretty much a lock.)

The Buccs very smartly, and effectively program their shows to win. They grab as many of those GE points that are out there. And that's not to say they don't execute. They certainly do. But they don't have to win horns, guard marching etc to win. They just have to be good enough in those captions. It's been the strength of their shows that's won them their championships. And as cool as the moving piano was, it just wasn't on the level of Buccs' show.

This is all fine and dandy except the Bucs did not win GE in 2006 if I recall correctly. Personally, I have a problem saying that one corps is better than every other corps even if they aren't the best at marching, playing, and spinning. That is what this activity is, no? Again... I guess it is a preference thing; I am not a judge and there is a good reason for that.

I am not denying at all that the Bucs have had effective programs in the past four years. However, IMO, 2006 was the least entertaining and effective they've been in the last 4 years. Perhaps this is the reason the call was close.

I know that this forum has talked about why the Buccaneers have been on top at great lengths. I chose to start this thread in order to sort of look at this issue from the other side of the fence.. what are other corps doing/not doing that is making it this way, using 2006 as a jumping point because no one has come that close since.

This is all fine and dandy except the Bucs did not win GE in 2006 if I recall correctly. Personally, I have a problem saying that one corps is better than every other corps even if they aren't the best at marching, playing, and spinning. That is what this activity is, no? Again... I guess it is a preference thing; I am not a judge and there is a good reason for that.

I am not denying at all that the Bucs have had effective programs in the past four years. However, IMO, 2006 was the least entertaining and effective they've been in the last 4 years. Perhaps this is the reason the call was close.

I know that this forum has talked about why the Buccaneers have been on top at great lengths. I chose to start this thread in order to sort of look at this issue from the other side of the fence.. what are other corps doing/not doing that is making it this way, using 2006 as a jumping point because no one has come that close since.

First of all...yes, appararently there IS a good reason you are not a judge. Second, what the other corps are NOT doing is getting as high an overall score as the Bucs. It's really as simple as that. One last thing...the reason why the subcaptions are getting so much play on these boards is that the subcaption awards are all that the rest of the field has to crow about. But, with all due respect to the boys in the sequined jumpsuits, the guard trophy and 35 cents will not buy you a cup of coffee. Same thing can be said about ALL of the other individual captions/sub-captions. It's when they add up all the captions and announce the last score of the evening on finals night that makes the difference.

well said, especially about the spreads

I agree with you, but that's not how the sheets are set up. Execution should carry more weight... definitely.

Everyone can appreciate and agree upon the value of strong execution. It's the General Effect category that is more troublesome. GE has as many meanings as the size and LOCATION of the event, the crowd.

No matter what judging system is put in place, there will be loopholes in achieving purity. All we should ever ask of our circuits is to put forth a system they think best. I think DCA works hard to do exactly that.

Remember, at any event with 25 competing groups, 24 of those groups go home a little disappointed.

Everyone can appreciate and agree upon the value of strong execution. It's the General Effect category that is more troublesome. GE has as many meanings as the size and LOCATION of the event, the crowd.

No matter what judging system is put in place, there will be loopholes in achieving purity. All we should ever ask of our circuits is to put forth a system they think best. I think DCA works hard to do exactly that.

Remember, at any event with 25 competing groups, 24 of those groups go home a little disappointed.

Well, 2006 was the first time - probably ever - that I got to sit in great seats and watch all 10 DCA finalists. I thought the whole lineup was great, mostly because every corps had their own personality...

I thought - and still do - that if any one of the Top 4 would have been announced as the winner, the crowd would have agreed. Of course, I was surrounded by "experts" who gave me the "Inside Politics" explanation for why one or another corps COULDN'T win.

But...

If Bush would have won, I would have thought "Sure, that makes sense."

If Cabs would have won, I would have thought "Sure, that makes sense."

If Empire would have won, I would have thought "Sure, that makes sense."

Bucs won, and I thought "Sure, that makes sense."

Bucs have had 4 straight undefeated, championship seasons. For my money, the fact that they may have lost a caption here or there along the way, does not make this feat any less dominating....

heh, so do the brigs.