New "Off the Record" feature-Legends of the One-Valve Bugle

HAHA ... I forgot that you caught my schtick in Garfield ... not your typical MC stuff ... huh? ... after all my years of I&E in the 60's I think I know how to play the crowd (and the players) from the "pulpit" ... LOL ...

Andy "the MCing gets better as the day wears on :thumbup: " Lisko

Terrific stuff, Andy, and played the crowd as a violin. A vertiuoso performance.

Glad to see Garfield is coming.

There's gonna be a lot of "Legends of the One-Valved Bugle" at the Bridgeport show. They all played one and made music.

Edited by Mellofello01

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to confirm the identity of the soprano soloist from the Sarnia Sertomanaires who played that swingin' feature in "Days of Wine and Roses" on the '66 Shriners Invitational CD. It's hip-ness in the extreme.

Perhaps Sarnia Sam can help.

Frank, I remember this fellow very well and agree he was a major talent. That "Wine and Roses" solo is stylistically superior. I do not know his name, but he certainly deserves the recognition! In 1966 my corps (Geneva Appleknockers) were guests of the Sertomanaires at their show in Canada's "chemical valley" (so named because of the many oil refineries in the Niagara peninsula region).

I will never forget warming up for a parade in Fraser, Michigan the next day when I heard their soloist effortlessly play up the scale to a double C! It really blew my young mind as to the possibilities of the instrument...

I agree that Mr Dorritie should be listed in the GREAT ARRANGERS/.. as well as in the players section.. He had some awesome :thumbup: stuff,

and do not discount yourself Mr Fallon... YOU too produced some memorable and great arrangements over the years !! :devil:

Thanks for doing this Frank.. great memories indeed !

:thumbup:

Geez, Vic... i wasn't playing nonchalant or ignoring your kind comment... I was out of town so far that the World Wide Web doesn't reach (Utah).

You're very kind, but the folks mentioned in this thread are in a different pantheon than anything I could ever aspire to.

Tell you what though, it's fun to think about it and Frank has done an amazing job getting us in touch with our memories, and introducing some of our younger brothers and sisters (nieces and nephews?) to our time in the activity, when drum and bugle corps was mainly about, well... drums and bugles.

Oh, okay, flags, sabers, rifles and cymbals too. (might get a serious ###-kicking if I leave those out.)

:thumbup:

Geez, Vic... i wasn't playing nonchalant or ignoring your kind comment... I was out of town so far that the World Wide Web doesn't reach (Utah).

You're very kind, but the folks mentioned in this thread are in a different pantheon than anything I could ever aspire to.

Tell you what though, it's fun to think about it and Frank has done an amazing job getting us in touch with our memories, and introducing some of our younger brothers and sisters (nieces and nephews?) to our time in the activity, when drum and bugle corps was mainly about, well... drums and bugles.

Oh, okay, flags, sabers, rifles and cymbals too. (might get a serious ###-kicking if I leave those out.)

I could not believe it when I listened to Mr. Dorritie's audio play...wow..and wow ..NY Skyliners '75 soloists hell I was there and I am an old snare drummer ..but 1 valve and rotor ..JEEZ...Sky was high!!! Actually I played baritone at one point in my unillustrious drum corps carreer...but the bugle guys...they were the real musicians...some of the sounds from those bugles?????? WOW ........I just have so many good memories from that time..and it influenced me ..and created a love of music (all kinds all venues) that I have passed on down to my children as well...my kids r in corps...and that is all that matters ...except thanks to all that came before us!!! Music in any form ...rocks!!! :devil::thumbup:

Frank,

It's interesting to note (I thought of it while listening to your closing with Jeff Kievits playing on his latest album) something he told me once at a symposium, that of everywhere he'd ever played, Holywood Bowl, Carnegie Hall, all of the major Broadway theaters in NY, his favorite memories were of standing in the middle of a drum corps stadium (which you as you know we occasionally let the football teams use so they think it's actually theirs) having that musical dialogue with a drum corps audience. In his words, "nothing has ever come close."

Pretty amazing stuff for a kid with one valve. Pretty amazing all the people that we all got to play for, huh?

Keep up the incredible work. I think there may be a lucrative career in this for you. About time you got to enjoy some success. (err, what's that? How many grammy nominations? Awards? Oh yeah, well... I mean REAL success - you know - accolades on DCP!!!)

When Cal Tjader won his Grammy in 1980, he was on tour in the Phillipines so I accepted it for him as his producer. I remember thinking to myself, "This is great, but I'd rather win the Dream."

I still feel that way, but none of this is about me or you. It's about how great drum corps is as an entity, and how incredibly important it is in the lives of so many people. It's truly the best thing of which I haver ever been a part, and I hope it goes on forever.

Edited by ironlips

When Cal Tjader won his Grammy in 1980, he was on tour in the Phillipines so I accepted it for him as his producer. I remember thinking to myself, "This is great, but I'd rather win the Dream."

I still feel that way, but none of this is about me or you. It's about how great drum corps is as an entity, and how incredibly important it is in the lives of so many people. It's truly the best thing of which I haver ever been a part, and I hope it goes on forever.

It will go on forever.... :thumbup: because of folks like you and Ray!!!! :thumbup::devil: :devil: :smile: :smile:

It will go on forever.... :sad: because of folks like you and Ray!!!! :big hug: :sad::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

If Frank reads this he's laughing right now because he knows how embarrassed I am (and should be) to be mentioned in company like that...

plus - the only way I kept the activity going was to have four kids who played and now continue to teach, and probably eventually judge - I guess that's keeping the activity going, but it's more by association...

:blink:

but thanks - I accept any and all kind words and good wishes - that's actually what keeps the activity going.

I could not believe it when I listened to Mr. Dorritie's audio play...wow..and wow ..NY Skyliners '75 soloists hell I was there and I am an old snare drummer ..but 1 valve and rotor ..JEEZ...Sky was high!!! Actually I played baritone at one point in my unillustrious drum corps carreer...but the bugle guys...they were the real musicians...some of the sounds from those bugles?????? WOW ........I just have so many good memories from that time..and it influenced me ..and created a love of music (all kinds all venues) that I have passed on down to my children as well...my kids r in corps...and that is all that matters ...except thanks to all that came before us!!! Music in any form ...rocks!!! :sad: :big hug:

You know - it's interesting that I had a similar reaction to the drumming. I thought a lot of the drum writing and a whole bunch of the playing was remarkable.

everyone's been talking about Dirty Eddie and Johnny Grass on '75 Sky, but no one has mentioned Carl Ruocco (yes kids, THAT Carl Ruocco) wailing away on a snare, a tenor, and a stationary (marching) bass drum behind the soloist. The Muchacho writing was incredibly hip for 1975, and even as early as the 1960 Sky clip the drum line was pulsing like Gene Krupa (complete with cow bell lead-in).

I've always felt that we horn players do a good job in this activity, but the two things that made D&B Corps stand out on a glabal scale was that for rudimentary drumming no other activity came close, and for equipment use, not even the Marine silent drill team rivaled the best of the drum corps color guards. We've given a lot of that up for dance in the past couple of decades, and I haven't seen Alvin Ailey get worried - but no one - nowhere - came close to drum corps color guards for equipment precision. When we start to make the drum lines dance instead of play, I'm outta here...