Has jazz left DCI?

I am not really a crown fan...well, at all, and yet i disagree entirely. It's one thing to have 10 seconds of melody and the 10 seconds of a different melody. By definition, crowns show HAD to be blatantly recognizable, otherwise it would have fallen flat on its face. The 'opinion' that crown 08 did NOT fall flat on its face is the closest thing we have to a consensus here on dcp. How you can confuse a show with all melody and no transitions with a show that is nothing but transitional material is beyond me...

I said I knew that their show was written as it was on purpose. It just was not on my favorite list, that's all. I've loved most of their shows since 2000, but not this one.

I'm not "confusing" anything. The idea that you think a show is "nothing but transitional material" is beyond me.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To many to name in the 2000's era of drum corps. See BD for some good examples. Also...just about every other Open Class division corps in 2008. I was so disappointed in the musical choices and presentations in the open class division last season.....

I don't find BD to be like that at all. They have had some great shows this decade.

then you must like stab and run.

i liked 07, but man, except for that brief Pegasus snippet, i cant remember a hummable melody from that show

i liked 07, but man, except for that brief Pegasus snippet, i cant remember a hummable melody from that show

"Hummable" is not the definition of 'melody' to me. Lots of music has melody that is not particularly hummable, but it doesn't mean that it is 'stab and run'.

You're right . . .

Wait, didn't The Cadets play Malaguena in 2003? :tounge2:

OH! BAC did too!!! BAC did too!!!

"Hummable" is not the definition of 'melody' to me. Lots of music has melody that is not particularly hummable, but it doesn't mean that it is 'stab and run'.

well it was.

Hummable is the definition for melody for me, there is a different between motif and melody.. all shows are nowadays is motif. Even if it isn't stab and run, it's either just holding out chords, or random motifs.

Hummable is the definition for melody for me, there is a different between motif and melody.. all shows are nowadays is motif. Even if it isn't stab and run, it's either just holding out chords, or random motifs.

If my old theory class memory holds (and those classes were from 71-74, so it's a loooong time ago!)...a motif is a passage (can be melodic or rhythmic) to establish a musical idea that can be repeated and/or used in variations. A melody is the horizontal series of single notes that make up a musical thought...it may or may not be repeated. It doesn't matter whether or not the melody is 'hummable' in the sense being discussed.

Totally agree. The rest of the show was tricks and chords, but nothing gets stuck in your head. I thought they remedied this pretty well in 08, except for the closer (bleh).

Had a conversation with a BD alum over drinks after finals in 08. Needless to say he wasn't the happiest camper that night, but he brought up a good point. Maybe it's not direct melody, but for the last few years BD's shows are really the only ones I find myself whistling or humming, because they are the only ones that stick with you. Most shows nowadays have one or two moments, but very little actual meat to them that sticks to your bones.

BD 03, by the way, is one of the best direct jazz shows ever. It's entertaining, a blast from start to finish, and when it's all over you're still singing it in your head from top to bottom.

funny, with the exception of the Godfather, I cant remember anything that sticks in my head from BD since 2002.

and honestly, more and more corps fall into that same boat