You know what I think?

I agree about avoiding negativity. I will say, however, there is also a pattern on these bulletin boards where people who bring up substantive arguments are "cut off" in the guise of squelching "negativity." What I mean is, if the comments are not "perfumed and sugar coated" where everyone is saying "Yeah, Way to GO!" these comments are often labeled negative rather than contrary.

Regarding the open class corps, I have had direct experiences and while maintaining people from camp-to-camp is an issue for everyone, I saw some significant differences in numbers based upon the attitude, and leadership ability of the corps management and the staff - especially how well the staff is "aligned" via the corps director. This seems to also make a big difference regarding how many members are lost during the summer. It would be interesting to compare who loses more and less and to take a look at the way their management and staff handle themselves. It was amazing to me to see one staff being more positive than another and getting better results (scores) and better retention.

Jason :smile:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well as you know from experience different corps' have different issues to deal with. some has to do with advertising/recruitment. think back to the Windy City meeting at the Opera House...there was you and two other people and staff.

some corps have issues with the directors not knowing what it is they need to do (don't have an example for this but i know it happens)...sometimes the director has an idea but pride prevents them for asking for help when it is necessary (again no reference other than one based on a rumor).

sometimes a director comes in with a great attitude and a great vision but meets with hesitiation on the part of the board of directors, or the board is non-functioning or not living up to their end of the bargain. that prevents a corps from hitting the field.

sometimes there is a combination of these. sometimes its just trying to go up against other established names in the area. sometimes you have high school band directors, who (and shame on all of them for this) won't allow you to make a speech to their students because they are so wrapped up in their own program that they see DCI as a threat instead of a resource.

there's also parents who don't want their kids to go away for the summer and kids who are just curious but never actually interested.

there are tons of reasons why corps fail/struggle/can't get momentum, etc...

and for those of us in staff positions who go up against these kinds of issues...gotta fight the good fight!

I would kill to be 14 again and getting my butt kicked by a Euph. It was so much easier then when I didn't know what went on behind the scenes.

I couldn't agree with you more there bro

The other end of that is the risk of making it SO affordable that there may be an impression of little to no value in marching with that corps.

Looking back at it, that may have been one element -- of MANY -- that hurt En Garde...we dropped out fees to $150 (which, given the size of our tour -- only the 5 SoCo shows that we could carpool too -- was workable) in an effort to offset the worsening economy, but the value angle may have come up.

Ironic considering that, in the past, corps members could grab their weekly corps dues, left on their kitchen counters by their mothers, before heading out the door to rehearsal every Wednesday night.

Ironic considering that, in the past, corps members could grab their weekly corps dues, left on their kitchen counters by their mothers, before heading out the door to rehearsal every Wednesday night.

and a carton of milk cost 2 cents and dad made $4000 a year at the factory. So?

Times...they change.

*waggles hand* Not really so much today, tho, Kevin....the important point here isn't so much a low member fee -- even with the additional costs absorbed by the member in a Sr (car pooling to shows and food, for example...and housing if you come in from out of town) -- it's more the PERCEPTION of value from the low price = not worth my time.

En Garde would've done acceptable for a first year corps had we fielded with the people who came thorugh the door last year...had they stayed.

Times...they change.

Which was my point. Our perception of the value of drum corps has changed considerably.

Times...they change.

See, that's what I mean.

Good thread gone bad.

I just don't get you and others like you on this forum....in this world. It make me question myself everyday about this music educator thing. It's just not worth sometimes.

and it's not money, It's getting kids to stick.
wet them first :smile:

See, that's what I mean.

Good thread gone bad.

I just don't get you and others like you on this forum....in this world. It make me question myself everyday about this music educator thing. It's just not worth sometimes.

It all depends what your motives and values are I guess. I'm arguing that drum corps is NOT expensive for what people get in the experience. I just dumped another $1K into a corps' budget last night. I know what it costs to operate a corps.

A corps is a huge value for a member, even at $2500 or $3000 a year. Compare it to a week long hockey, basketball, football, or cheerleading camp. No real comparison except for the cost.

Again, my point is people continue to claim that drum corps have priced themselves out of existence and I argue drum corps were always the same value per dollar spent as they are today.

$3K today is what $500 would have been in the mid 70s.

So, not a good thread gone bad. You, my friend, tend to give up too easily sometimes.