DCI Countdown Volume !

Well remember they can mic 12 horn members now so we'll get a nice mini-corps playing background to the synths rockin out 'Axle F'! It'll be a concert with 70 extra horn players dancing in the background.

hey guys... at my theater it was too quiet and I asked them to turn it up at the intermission and explained that it was much louder in person and that half the experience of DCI was feeling the sound and all that... when I came back it was much louder- i dare say it was almost TOO loud- but i liked it... so yeah... they can turn it up... they probably just didn't WANT to

They were lying. I am a manager at the best movie theater here in Oklahoma City, and we have full control of the volume, of course. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Think about it. How could you serve your customers if you can't even control your presentation?

Video is a different story (if there's interference with the satellite broadcast, etc..) but audio is run through the sound processor that is located at the auditorium it's shown in. If enough people bug them about it, they will turn it up.

Most employees at movie theaters are just lazy and don't wanna run upstairs to go turn the volume up. It's too bad my theater isn't showing this (we're a big theater chain, but privately owned, not a big corporation) or we would take care of it right away. I always have to deal with lazy employees when I request they turn up the volume. I ask for the manager first, and THEN I ask them to turn it up and if it doesn't get done (like last year when I went to quarterfinals), I keep bugging them until it gets done. So, spread the word early to the other audience members. You gotta demand they turn it up. It will get done.

The only way a theater couldn't turn it up would be if the feed's dB level was just too low. They could "turn it up" definitely, but it just wouldn't go much louder.

*edit* Try this: if you have variable control of your speakers, play some music. Turn the volume down fairly low on the program that you're using. Almost inaudible. Then turn up your speakers and see how much of a difference it makes in volume. It won't be drastic.

Edited by PhantomRPhan

Broadcasts are sent out at a specific level digitally. It's like a CD. How loud is a CD? Well, it's as loud as you turn it up, minus the headroom. Given that you have some pretty talented mixing done on it, it can still be quieter than the peaks of a standard motion picture. The reason is that the lower parts in drum corps music are much lower than, say, movie dialog.

Be prepared to ask for adjustment -- by a theater manager.