California Dons

1984 California Dons Drum and Bugle Corps-

Well if you always wanted to see them back in the day and were unable, the entire show from their first year of competition is on youtube now.

25 years ago Mel Stratton put this corps together and set off across country to DCI in Atlanta, GA. Here is that show that placed them 4th in Division II finals with a score of 83.80

Enjoy...I sure enjoyed marching it.

I won't post the link, just do a search for 1984 California Dons Drum and Bugle Corps

And if memory serves me correct, the equipment was bought from the Westshoremen.

Any idea how the equipment was moved from PA to CA. Think another DCPer is looking for his cooler.... :smile:

Don't think the vid will answer my question so I'll ask here. Any idea if the horns were 2v or older P/R? Trying to figure out when Westshore changed over.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Jim, they were 2 valve horns.

What about the '85 show????

Jim, they were 2 valve horns.

Thanks, means my old P/R horn was disposed of between mid-season 1980 and 1984.

Wish I had a chance to buy that sucker. :smile:

The California Don's had the coolest drumcorps buses in history....the Blue Devils Scenic Cruisers. I know that they broke down a lot but you got instant credentials pulling into the parking lot in those bad boys. Strange BD memory I had was when the corps being lectured because someone called them the California Dog's. We were confused as they were a new corps, with Mel Stratton playing latin jazz. What's not to love? :smile:

Edited by dugada

Heh... yeah. Loved those buses. Until we had to ditch one of them (in Utah, I believe). Just happened to be the bus I WAS ON!!