Are there drum corps in Maryland?

A friend of mine just asked me if there are any drum corps in Maryland for very young folks. Her son is a 12 year-old budding drummer.

Thanks!

A friend of mine just asked me if there are any drum corps in Maryland for very young folks. Her son is a 12 year-old budding drummer.

Thanks!

There are no DCI corps in Maryland. I also checked the WGI site to see if there are any indoor lines and it only came up with one name for any WGI group: Governor Thomas Johnson HS, and I believe that is just a winter guard. I also checked through all of the circuits listed and there are none in MD.

Sounds like someone needs to start something in MD for kids into marching music...........

We tried a couple times 1996 and 1998 to start corps in the Baltimore area but both times we had trouble. 1st time the financial part didn't come through even though we had the kids, and the second time we couldn't get any horn players.

We were in a similar situation back in 2003 when my son got into Drum Corps.

The best solutions for someone from Maryland are probably in Jersey.

Surf is about a 2-1/2 hour drive from Baltimore, but probably over a 12-year old's head.

Raiders are farther north but Open Class.

There was an group starting up in York PA (Renaissance?) that might fit.

There is a new indoor group called Chesapeake Indoor starting up.

Hanover PA has The Lancers, which is DCA (I think).

You might try the Marching Ravens Band. They allow all ages, and all you need (to start) is willingness and dependability. They practice every Wednesday at the Ravens Owings Mills facility.

If the youngster is serious about marching Corps, you want to get him some private instruction.

The techniques used in Corps aren't usually taught by most local instructors.

You need to find an instructor who MARCHED.

PM me if you want a contact for a good instructor (Towson Area).

Surf is about a 2-1/2 hour drive from Baltimore, but probably over a 12-year old's head.

You might try the Marching Ravens Band. They allow all ages, and all you need (to start) is willingness and dependability. They practice every Wednesday at the Ravens Owings Mills facility.

If the youngster is serious about marching Corps, you want to get him some private instruction.

Thanks. I will pass this information on to the family that asked me to look for them.

Who's starting Chesapeake indoor? since Chesapeake was the name of the corps that we almost got off the ground in 1996. I would be interested if it was the same people.

No idea of the current status of Renaissance but try RFPADirector here on DCP as she was one of the leaders. See there was another MD corps thread Jan 2008 and she answered. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...107912&st=0

Actually a parade/standstill corps but our lower age limit (from what I can tell) is High School age.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Depending on where in Maryland, the closest competitive corps may be Shenandoah Sound (just 20 minutes South of DC). The corps has a lot of HS aged students, especially in the drum line. I know I may be biased, but I recommend it as a good place to "get your feet wet" in the drum corps activity.

One of the principals is the battery instructor for the Marching Ravens.

http://www.chesapeakeindoor.org

yeah, looks like a completely different group.