To march or not to march...

I'm in the exact same boat, man. Had someone message me on here a few days ago about a spot. I just need to get the money together, but I'm doing it.

Keep me updated. :]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some advice.

I turn 21 in 18 days, with that, this is my ageout year, and for the past two years I really didnt think much about ageing out. In 2006 as I walked off the field I said goodbye to camp randall and to what I thought was my last and final year.

Right now I am currently working with A drum corps to get them back out. Even then my age out is brought up. I am physically able to march but what is keeping me from marching is a lot greater.

After 2006, I went to the bank got a loan to get an apartment and I moved out of my parents house. I tried to go to school online but I wasnt ready for it and I couldnt handle 2 part time jobs.

Lat night, I was messaged by a corps director, he said that he wanted me to march and that we could work something out with the fees. It is too late for me to get sponsors. Its not the actual tour fees that worry me its the loss of income and the bills I have to pay for during the summer. I wasnt planning on marching this year, but I feel that I need to. Corps has taught me to never regret things that I do, but not marching has regret written all over it.

The Fact that This is the last time that I am going to be able to march. I dont want it to haunt me for the rest of my life. I don’t want this to be a point in my life where I wondered what would happen if I marched.

Has anyone else had to go through this, or how did others get throught this situation?

With these turbulent economic times, I would not advice anyone to do something financially that they were not planning on doing. Finding a job right now is a heck of a lot harder than it was even a year ago. If you leave your job, is there a 100% guarantee that it will be there when you get back? If not, do you have enough money in the bank ti get you through things until you do (plus cover expenses for the summer)?

I understand how passionate a lot of people are (were) about marching drum corps. But sometimes the downward financial spiral from taking summer off from a job is not worth marching a year of drum corps. I know people who have been in similar situations from what you hint at who have permanently screwed up their lives because they marched their age-out year of drum corps when they couldn't financially handle it (had to drop out of school, became unemployed for a long time because they left a good job and ticked off the boss, lost housing due to leaving the place/not being able to pay rent for the summer, etc).

If the answer isn't perfectly clear "YES" in your own heart and mind, then I say "NO."

Drum Corps commitment is probably 2nd only to marriage, and we know marriage doesn't end well in the 50% of the cases.

If you have any doubts at all, DON'T DO IT. It's not fair to the rest of the organization if someone has to beg you to do it.

If the answer isn't perfectly clear "YES" in your own heart and mind, then I say "NO."

Drum Corps commitment is probably 2nd only to marriage, and we know marriage doesn't end well in the 50% of the cases.

If you have any doubts at all, DON'T DO IT. It's not fair to the rest of the organization if someone has to beg you to do it.

If everyone subscribed to that theory then a lot of great members would have chosen not to march and that would be a shame. Lots of kids struggle with the question of when "real life" needs to begin. There is plenty of room for a bit of gray in that regard. It certainly does not imply the kid will lack commitment once the decision is finally made.

What Bruckner8 said. As much as it sucks to admit it, what he said is VERY true. If you aren't going to go balls to the wall...why bother?

Thank god I'm on my last year...my balls will thank me later. :tongue:

If you can work out your financial obligations, then do it. You have many years ahead to work, earn money and go to school. No regrets.

I think right now that I am so involved with working with the Americanos that I dont know if I could actually be a marching member again. I am having a hard time debating weather or not I want to march in a parade this summer.

I have been planning the thing for the past 6 months now. I have been so focused in trying to get things up and running for a fallen corps that I dont really feel like I should be marching. I dont know how many people were able to set up an alumni association for an organization at the age of 19 either. Corps administration interests me way more than being a marching member. Last night for example, I watched people reunite after 15 years. It was a good feeling to see people come together after that long.

If I dont march this summer I know one thing for sure. I will be not marching my age out, so in the future more kids can. I think its a worthy sacrifice for a good cause.

Edited by dcf06

Hey man,

I had to make the same type of decision this year because it's my age out as well. If you even have to think about it, it's not worth it. I wanted to march my age out pretty badly, but realized that it's really just not a reasonable thing for me to do considering I'm graduating and have to start paying back the loan I took out for school last year. Your overall well being is much more important than anything drum corps can provide you. Since you are out on your own, unlike most drum corps members at this time, it would be wise to just save your money and do what you want to do, which is help The Americanos. Good luck with everything, long time, no talk. Hope all is well other than this decision. haha.