Ben-Hur and King of Kings

Yeah OK thats why you got beat by Getzville and Dunkirk. I think even Murray Hose may have beat you guys. I know Albion Grenadiers did. Storky told me.

That must have been some good weed you had that weekend.

DA

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah OK thats why you got beat by Getzville and Dunkirk. I think even Murray Hose may have beat you guys. I know Albion Grenadiers did. Storky told me.

That must have been some good weed you had that weekend.

DA

Now Donny - maybe your memory is clouded from those days. Here are the facts:))

1975 Hamilton Ont 8/23/75 Source - Popp P. 105

1 The Phoenix 88.06

2 Guelph Royalaires 83.53

3 Thunderbirds 82.85

4 Hanover Lancers 79.70

5 Brass, Inc. 72.65

6 Hamburg Kingsmen 67.33

7 Dunkirk Patriots 65.50

8 Kingston Yardmen 60.00

9 Emmaus Sentinels 59.28

10 Sudbury Imperial Knights 56.85

11 Johnsonburg Diplomats 55.13

12 York White Roses 52.05

The point is that Corky was well known as one of the toughest judges in drum corps. I am still finding it hard to believe that he would give a 9.8 at the first show of the season. Week after week he was telling us that we sucked with Phoenix and we were winning every show by total scores they stopped announcing.

Actually I am puffing Doug a little and I am riding with him to Harrisburg in a few hours.

Donny

The point is that Corky was well known as one of the toughest judges in drum corps. I am still finding it hard to believe that he would give a 9.8 at the first show of the season. Week after week he was telling us that we sucked with Phoenix and we were winning every show by total scores they stopped announcing.

Actually I am puffing Doug a little and I am riding with him to Harrisburg in a few hours.

Donny

The 9.8 I don't know about. However, I agree with Doug about that summer - we did have a very good performing, albeit small, horn line and I am proud to say that I was a part of it.

I do remember that Phoenix did NOT suck - what a great summer that was. One of my most vivid memories of that year is from an indoor show in Dunkirk that spring - first time anyone had seen Phoenix. The intensity level of that corps was scary. I could see that a storm was brewing for the summer.

Say Hi to Doug for me, but don't stop messing with him:))

The 9.8 I don't know about. However, I agree with Doug about that summer - we did have a very good performing, albeit small, horn line and I am proud to say that I was a part of it.

I do remember that Phoenix did NOT suck - what a great summer that was. One of my most vivid memories of that year is from an indoor show in Dunkirk that spring - first time anyone had seen Phoenix. The intensity level of that corps was scary. I could see that a storm was brewing for the summer.

Say Hi to Doug for me, but don't stop messing with him:))

Oh I remember it well. Our horn line was not only clean but extremely powerful as all in the line were accomplished players and produced. There ere no slackers. I remember seeing people after we started playing actually counting the horn line in disbelief as to the sound production. That was clearly one of the best hornlines that i ever played with and you all know I have played with many Jerry

I can't believe no one remembered that the TCI Geneseeans from Rochester NY played King of Kings off the line in 1963. Dave Noatka arranged it. It just goes to show that you Hose #1 guys and you other Hosers weren't paying much attention to your "competition"!

Wink :worthy:

Edited by Gary W

A vague memory I have is that the Woodsiders from the Newark/Belleville border played Ben Hur (Parade of the Charioteers, I think it was called).

Have to check corpsreps....yup...there it is!

King of Kings was Garfield's opener in the 60's..the alumni corps is playing it now I'm pretty sure.

When they were the Holy Name Cadets before they were The Cadets, Garfield Cadets, The Cadets of Bergen County, and then The Holy Name Cadets (maybe more names in a different order. Could have been '62 but '63 I'm sure of. Last show of the year at Roosevelt Stadium - first time I ever saw Bon-Bons.

And why did the Bronx Kingsmen and Anahiem just pop into my mind?

Puppet

• 3 weeks later...

Hurcs also played Ten Commandments in 2005

A vague memory I have is that the Woodsiders from the Newark/Belleville border played Ben Hur (Parade of the Charioteers, I think it was called).

Have to check corpsreps....yup...there it is!

King of Kings was Garfield's opener in the 60's..the alumni corps is playing it now I'm pretty sure.

Don't forget the St Brendan Cadet's ( Clifton, NJ ) OTL was Ben Hur in 1966

Edited by fecontra

TCI Geneseeans - there's a blast from the past

they were actually a generational off shoot of the Brockport Batavia Cavaliers - which was Vince Bruni's FIRST corps.