2009 Texas Drum Corps Preview

I'm here in Austin, entertain me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a great time hosting the event!

Thanks to all the corps who came out:

World Gone Mad-- Rock and Roll will never be the same! Thanks for the fun show!

Make sure you check out the DCI Open class-- you might be surprised at what you see and hear!

Memphis Sound - small corps (55 total, I believe), but WOW can they play! Horns and Drums were AMAZING!

Revolution- Larger than they have been recently. Very nice sound from hornline and percussion. Guard performed one number, but I was off to the side and couldn't really see it.

DCI World Class

Crossmen- I cannot WAIT to see this on the field! It sounded WOW! That's the best I can describe it right now. you'll have to check them out when they come to your area!

As for DCA

Gulf Coast Sound-- Didn't get to see/hear them, unfortunately!

Vigilantes -- SMOKIN' Hornline! And the Drumline is very nice, some great parts to hear! Can't wait to see it on the field!

Austin Stars -- a few performers jumped in at the end for Mass Brass where all the corp's hornlines played America/O Canada-- and they all had the same arrangement this year! :-)

Thanks also to Mistress of Ceremonies Cathy Benford for keeping things going smoothly, even when the speakers stopped working on the sound system. Also thanks to WGM for sharing their bullhorn to make sure the audience could hear! :-)

We had a great time hosting the event!

Thanks to all the corps who came out:

World Gone Mad-- Rock and Roll will never be the same! Thanks for the fun show!

Make sure you check out the DCI Open class-- you might be surprised at what you see and hear!

Memphis Sound - small corps (55 total, I believe), but WOW can they play! Horns and Drums were AMAZING!

Revolution- Larger than they have been recently. Very nice sound from hornline and percussion. Guard performed one number, but I was off to the side and couldn't really see it.

DCI World Class

Crossmen- I cannot WAIT to see this on the field! It sounded WOW! That's the best I can describe it right now. you'll have to check them out when they come to your area!

As for DCA

Gulf Coast Sound-- Didn't get to see/hear them, unfortunately!

Vigilantes -- SMOKIN' Hornline! And the Drumline is very nice, some great parts to hear! Can't wait to see it on the field!

Austin Stars -- a few performers jumped in at the end for Mass Brass where all the corp's hornlines played America/O Canada-- and they all had the same arrangement this year! :-)

Thanks also to Mistress of Ceremonies Cathy Benford for keeping things going smoothly, even when the speakers stopped working on the sound system. Also thanks to WGM for sharing their bullhorn to make sure the audience could hear! :-)

Congradulations on a successful event! Keep building your region! :tongue:

Nice breeze, cool weather, large crowd and 6 Texas drum corps made for an outstanding evening at the Austin Capitol.

First up...World Gone Mad performed rock and roll drum corps...extremely entertaining. This corps does things a little differently, their MC Mike Reynolds got the crowd pumped with his humor and wardrobe changes (which was a fashion show of the corps many t-shirts available for sale at the show and on line www.keepaustinloud.com). Great way to start the evening. Thanks WGM....

Gulf Coast Sound entertained the crowd with music that explores the Lone Star State. Great selections of music and fantastic soloist.

It was cool to watch Vigilantes perform their show...even though this was a stand still performance, their guard did equipment work and choreography that simulated baseball movements...great visuals for their show Pastime.

Memphis Sound had a nice rich sound to their hornline, totally loved their performance of Appalachian Morning, nature itself was helping with the effects of this show as the night breeze stepped it up ever so slightly. The corps will be making Texas their official home next year and announced that when the move is complete they will be called Forte (hope I am spelling it correctly). Nice start, and welcome to Texas.

ElementALL is the title of Revolution 2009 show....very impressive horn and drum line, enjoyed watching their pit slamming down various runs. Their nice sized guard was present and added color to the corps. Thanks for the brass encore it was beautiful.

As the Crossmen's pit moved their equipment to the front of the stairs, cheers and applause erupted from the crowd. The shouts of go Crossmen, yeah Bones continued as the battery and brass filed up onto the Capitol steps. The corps black uniforms with white maltese cross and shoulders have a very elegant cape added to the back, this uniform addition was not noticeable until the breeze would move it. The corps played well and their soloists were outstanding. Very mature, confident group of young performers.

At the conclusion of the evening the audience was treated to a mass brass playing of America the Beautiful/Oh Canada which was amazing and sent shivers down the spine of many in the crowd.

Thank you Austin Stars for sponsoring this event, it was a fantastic evening. Cathy Benford you're great at being the mistress of ceremonies...too bad the audio wouldn't cooperate, but you perservered. Gigantic thumbs up to all those in attendance, the performers appreciated your presence and enthusiasm.

Wishing all competing units safe travels and a great 2009 season at the DCI or DCA contests you will be attending. WGM continued success helping raise funds for the Blood and Tissue Center.

Short version:

If you see no other corps this season, see Revolution. OMG, yada yada yada.

I can't do a review because I am too biased. They all did a great job. Here are some photos, not great but something...

World Gone Mad

wgm1.jpg

Gulf Coast Sound

gcs1.jpg

Vigilantes

vigil1.jpg

Memphis Sound Forte

forte1.jpg

Revolution

revo1.jpg

revo2.jpg

Crossmen