making it new

dugg

I can't remember the origin of the quote, but it's certainly relevant to this discussion:

"There are two ways in which one can be an artist: either you can create a beautiful work of art OR you can create an environment in which artists thrive."

Is this perhaps a rephrasing of the quote? I've searched and cannot find this anywhere. I'd think it would be quite an impactful quote that someone would have archived.

Is this perhaps a rephrasing of the quote? I've searched and cannot find this anywhere. I'd think it would be quite an impactful quote that someone would have archived.

Ya know, Michael, I've been "quoting" that quote for so many years now that the version I commonly use has kinda drifted from the original.

So, to answer your question: yes, the "quote" that I mentioned earlier in this post is, indeed, a rephrasing rather than a direct quote.

And here's the orginal, which I dug up from my archives:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"There are two ways of being creative. One can sing and dance. Or one can create an environment in which singers and dancers flourish."

-- Warren G. Bennis

- - - - - - - - - - - -

FYI, Warren Bennis is an author and expert in leadership studies. He did a lot of research on new ways in which to "lead" while he was working at MIT during the 60s.

Ya know, Michael, I've been "quoting" that quote for so many years now that the version I commonly use has kinda drifted from the original.

So, to answer your question: yes, the "quote" that I mentioned earlier in this post is, indeed, a rephrasing rather than a direct quote.

And here's the orginal, which I dug up from my archives:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"There are two ways of being creative. One can sing and dance. Or one can create an environment in which singers and dancers flourish."

-- Warren G. Bennis

- - - - - - - - - - - -

FYI, Warren Bennis is an author and expert in leadership studies. He did a lot of research on new ways in which to "lead" while he was working at MIT during the 60s.

I like both quotes! :-)

I want to have a season where I sit in the stands and watch a gypsy tumble across the floor or Alcatraz come to life. I want to see mannequins and the world come alive with colors. If you could read my mind you would see that art should be inclusive and not for the perceived elite. What would we do if there were a season where Vietnam and the Holocaust taught the emotional history to the masses? What would happen if the boundaries were stretched so that our imagination allowed for The Cat and the Hat to speak to us. Maybe one day we will see an irish jig with such emotion that it will make you cry. Could you imagine a night where peacocks filled the floor with their magestic color? You can entertain and still maintain art. You can grow and explore and still speak emotionally to the masses. The audience is not just 5 people with a pencil and sheet. They are children and the elderly. They are newcomers and alumni. They are teachers and students. We must not, we cannot lose sight of that and it seems that we are slowly losing our grip on who our audience is. I beg for the designers and staffs of the guards to consider the audience and demand the standing ovation through such emotional power that a judge would be a fool to put anything down, but box 5.

why am I posting? oh why oh why

creative people are generally shy

the cat in the hat is where it's at

one thing, two thing and all that

if the kids feel the music and know where to go

then they'll probably perform a fine guard show

what had inspired me to cite the above is a noisy office;

so i put on cd and listened to "Il Divo" "Mediterranean" Classics "Loreena McKennitt"

listened most of the afternoon, was inspired to work but thought of Loreena and color guard?

• 2 months later...
I want to have a season where I sit in the stands and watch a gypsy tumble across the floor or Alcatraz come to life. I want to see mannequins and the world come alive with colors. If you could read my mind you would see that art should be inclusive and not for the perceived elite. What would we do if there were a season where Vietnam and the Holocaust taught the emotional history to the masses? What would happen if the boundaries were stretched so that our imagination allowed for The Cat and the Hat to speak to us. Maybe one day we will see an irish jig with such emotion that it will make you cry. Could you imagine a night where peacocks filled the floor with their magestic color? You can entertain and still maintain art. You can grow and explore and still speak emotionally to the masses. The audience is not just 5 people with a pencil and sheet. They are children and the elderly. They are newcomers and alumni. They are teachers and students. We must not, we cannot lose sight of that and it seems that we are slowly losing our grip on who our audience is. I beg for the designers and staffs of the guards to consider the audience and demand the standing ovation through such emotional power that a judge would be a fool to put anything down, but box 5.

WOW - I came across this today....thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything old will be new again, just watch.

WHO is to set new standards?

WHAT will the new standards be?

WHEN will we see these new standards, if at all?

WHERE will new standards lead us?

WHY haven't new standards been set as of yet?

THESE are the questions....WHO has the answers?

Complexity made simple....simplicity made complex....

Are we to sit and wait on designers of today or reach out to them with new, exciting & fresh ideas? They don't have all the answers...sometimes we do.

"Heavy the head that wears the crown."

Are we to rely on the designers of tomorrow? Will they just give us what they were taught or will the mold finally be broken?

Guard is a form of "Trickle Down," to steal a phrase from the 80's. Should change/innovation start at the top?

Progress has been made, it must be made anew.

Edited by garfield_cadets