Swine Flu in San Antonio

(This is not intended to scare anyone, I'm just curious)

I dont know if this has been discussed yet, but with this Swine Flu thing going around, and with 2 confirmed cases close to San Antonio (there may be more). If more cases start coming out in that area is it possible for the San Antonio show to be canceled? Is there a possibility for a change in venue? What are the options for DCI if it gets worse?

Also, what of the shows scheduled for the New york area. There are many more confirmed cases there. I'm really hoping this thing starts dying down by the time tour begins, but I dont know if that is realistic = (

Thoughts?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though the swine flu is a viable scare, I hardly find 2 cases in a city of 1.2 million to be something to worry about just yet. maybe if it gets worse we'll see then. I doubt it though

What many people fail to realize is that Swine Flu isn't much more harmful than your "garden-variety" influenza virus. It's just a different, rarer strain of it that is harder to combat via vaccine. I don't think they would cancel the SA show because of it.

Though the swine flu is a viable scare, I hardly find 2 cases in a city of 1.2 million to be something to worry about just yet. maybe if it gets worse we'll see then. I doubt it though

I have already issued official DCI commemorative face masks to all participants and fans. Look for them at a venue near you.

This flu did not mutate naturally...this has every appearance of a breech in one of the labs...from the point of origin it's looking like Mexico's version of the CDC.

Last time I checked... it's not even May yet.

just checked some facts on yahoo, and every year 35,000 people die from influenza (the regular strain). Put this in comparrason to other similar "pandemics" like SARS that killed 774, total. Its not too scary.

edit: source http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_on_...e/med_swine_flu

Edited by RooftopConcert

Seems a bit premature and self-centered to worry about show cancellations. Probably of much greater and realistic concern is an outbreak within a corps living and travelling in very close quarters. Seems like no one really knows how it's going to play out, but if it gets more serious and persists through the summer, I imagine corps will have to institute draconian policies with sick members and err on the side of caution.

Edited by Willie85

Crossmen are still having their camp in San Antonio this weekend and they move in on May 29th for Spring Training.

I'm sure that the administration will take extra precautionary steps to keep the members healthy.

Crossmen have survived too many things in their 35 years of existence to let this flu get them.

Good luck Crossmen! Stay Safe!!

When all else is gone....

Seems a bit premature and self-centered to worry about show cancellations. Probably of much greater and realistic concern is an outbreak within a corps living and travelling in very close quarters. Seems like no one really knows how it's going to play out, but if it gets more serious and persists through the summer, I imagine corps will have to institute draconian policies with sick members and err on the side of caution.

and it's so hard to get the proper buzz on a mouthpiece through a mask.