Marching timpani

There never was a line that made marching band drumlines drool better than a hot tymp line. Even practicing with them grounded made jaws drop. And you're right, Puppet: one of the biggest strengths corps back then have over today's is that it was all mobile: we could do parades, standstills, fly-bys, whatever. Mind you, my back and knees HAVE do complain a bit these days....

What's a drum corps fly-by?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a drum corps fly-by?

I think that he meant trooping the stands, but I'm not sure.

I think that he meant trooping the stands, but I'm not sure.

Trooping the stands, sure (have a bunch of cool memories of those) but I really meant quick appearances somewhere, where we jest appear out of nowhere, play and then disappear into the night.

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me.....I would go anywhere, if someone will let me do it for even part of a show. I have a set of 5, with even the small 20".

Ooooohhh boy.....That lit my fire! Thank You.

Trust me.....I would go anywhere, if someone will let me do it for even part of a show. I have a set of 5, with even the small 20".

So ... how would you carry them? Not that I would ever stop laughing at tenor quints - but a timpani quint marching MF would be my hero for just about ever!!!

Oh yeah - RIP

Puppet

Ah. last I remember it was one drum per person, and I do have volunteers for an I&E thing.

For any newbies who've wandered in....

http://www.coloneljake.com/BAM1BAM/AK2007/

...and kudos to the Belvederes for marching tymps...

Edited by GuyW

It was one drum per player and they did stuff like the bass drum lines. Was too cool and also they added a lot of depth to the overall sound of the drumline to me. Fiberglass shells and hand cranks to change pitches.

2007 KAC at the Rose Bowl used em too. A couple were also retrieved/restored original 72 AK timps too. :thumbdown: