Circus Corps...

I call them circus corps...you know...the circus used to come to your town and they always needed someone to pick up after the elephants or sell peanuts or run a canival game.

Corps used to pick up members along the way to fill holes. They'd pick up a kid..talk to the parents...he'd go pack and show up with the buses at the end of the night and start learning the show the next morning.

Does this still happen?

when I marched in div 2/3....yeah....it was still happening....however, we generally picked up new kids in between our mini tours.

I've heard stories of it in Div 2/3 around 2004-6, but nothing in the last few years.

Sort of happened with the Crossmen last year. They had a contra hole for most of the summer. While on the swamp tour, they picked someone up. He didn't actually join the corps that night, he joined up with them on their way back after san antonio? Maybe he joined in San Antonio? I believe his first show was the Atlanta night show. I guess they thought that he might hurt their score during the day show, which they felt was more important of a score. Which I guess it was.

Other than that... no clue.

I'd imagine it happens. Just maybe like once or twice a season though.

It's common from corps to corps- corps know 1-2 kids that are dedicated but aren't available until a certain point of the year. Sometimes it'll be when a corps swings through a town where a staff member teaches and has a kid they want to pick up. We got a baritone player in my last year at Cap Reg that way.