Synthesizers in drum corps

Creating posts with 'Synthesizer' in the title is like screaming 'Pokemon' to a recently quieted group of 8 year olds.

Thanks for that analogy, Goldberg.

J

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Nice on the loaded language and attitude there. Great job! Thanks for your contibution! Appreciate it.

I expressed exactly what I meant to express. Does your sarcasm have a point?

staffs tho usually want what staffs want, regardless of what the fan base may want. Remember, DCA's average fans are older than DCI's, and look.....most corps are on Bb now, even some traditional powerhouses.

Which would again prove the point that the dinosaurs don't cut and run at everything.

I'm hoping you're wrong on this one for the reasons I stated earlier, but I do have my concerns....

I expressed exactly what I meant to express. Does your sarcasm have a point?

Hey, you misread. No sarcasm. I was giving you a compliment. You represent well your side of the argument.

I RESPECT your involvement and history within the drum and bugle corps activity.

Hey, you misread. No sarcasm. I was giving you a compliment. You represent well your side of the argument.

I RESPECT your involvement and history within the drum and bugle corps activity.

Sorry - long day..... :tongue:

Which would again prove the point that the dinosaurs don't cut and run at everything.

I agree; being against electronic instruments does not mean that you should be against all changes in drum corps. However, you make a mistake by implying - in this post and several previously - that all the dinosaurs agree with you and share your tolerance for previous changes. The fact is that every change made to the activity has always produced its detractors. Fans were printing "drum corps is dead" T-shirts in 1971. I've read posts by members on here who still think drum corps should start their show on one end-zone line and finish on the other. When it comes to the last change made to drum corps prior to amplification, well it's easy to find fans who think corps should still be playing in G.

I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is wrong; each of us decides for ourselves what we find entertaining. What I am going to state is that yours is just one voice out of many. The fact that you were okay with previous changes but are now against this change doesn't tell us anything objective. In fact, if anything it tells us that you stuck around even while others thought the activity was moving in the wrong direction. All those who got fed up and left long before amps, that species of dinosaur from which you are quick to distance yourself? They left for reasons that were perfectly valid to them, just as you stuck around because you disagreed with those reasons, and still enjoyed drum corps, whether in spite of or because of the changes that had taken place. Surely then you can empathize with those of us who still enjoy drum corps, whether in spite of or because of the addition of electronics, even while you and others choose to leave.

I agree; being against electronic instruments does not mean that you should be against all changes in drum corps. However, you make a mistake by implying - in this post and several previously - that all the dinosaurs agree with you and share your tolerance for previous changes. The fact is that every change made to the activity has always produced its detractors. Fans were printing "drum corps is dead" T-shirts in 1971. I've read posts by members on here who still think drum corps should start their show on one end-zone line and finish on the other. When it comes to the last change made to drum corps prior to amplification, well it's easy to find fans who think corps should still be playing in G.

I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is wrong; each of us decides for ourselves what we find entertaining. What I am going to state is that yours is just one voice out of many. The fact that you were okay with previous changes but are now against this change doesn't tell us anything objective. In fact, if anything it tells us that you stuck around even while others thought the activity was moving in the wrong direction. All those who got fed up and left long before amps, that species of dinosaur from which you are quick to distance yourself? They left for reasons that were perfectly valid to them, just as you stuck around because you disagreed with those reasons, and still enjoyed drum corps, whether in spite of or because of the changes that had taken place. Surely then you can empathize with those of us who still enjoy drum corps, whether in spite of or because of the addition of electronics, even while you and others choose to leave.

All well stated. However there are a couple of flip sides.

Flip side # 1. In future years there will probably be a change that will exceed your limit of tolerance too, with all that that entails.

FS # 2 - Maybe I'm getting addled with age but I do not remember the kind of outcry that has accompanied amps. I certainly don't remember the number of people bailing. I'm sure some did but I am certainly not the only dino that has reached the breaking point at this particular juncture.

All well stated. However there are a couple of flip sides.

Flip side # 1. In future years there will probably be a change that will exceed your limit of tolerance too, with all that that entails.

Not really a flip side, that's actually more of a logical conclusion given what I posted. When that day comes and I am no longer entertained by drum corps, I hope to exit gracefully, remembering what it was like to love the activity even while others claimed it had been ruined.

FS # 2 - Maybe I'm getting addled with age but I do not remember the kind of outcry that has accompanied amps. I certainly don't remember the number of people bailing. I'm sure some did but I am certainly not the only dino that has reached the breaking point at this particular juncture.

I haven't been around the activity long enough to say whether the outcry against amps has been any greater or less than the outcry for previous changes. It's worth pointing out, though, that this is the first major change to drum corps since the rise of the internet. No doubt that's made it easier to hear from those that are crying out.

Without the internet, I would hear primarily from my friends and peers. Since they don't have much of an aversion to amps & electronics, then I would be left with the impression that most fans don't really care about these changes. It's only because of my time on the internet that I recognize this as such a controversial issue; viewed that way it's easy to see how previous changes might not have seemed as controversial at the time, either.