Synthesizers in drum corps

there is no written requirement. thats the genius of it. remember, like a guy who was winning titles said..."you dont want to be competing with one hand tied behind your back"

perception is reality. when in Rome, do what the Romans do

I never got to Rome. I got to Luino, Italy once. Played a concert there. It was nice. Here's what I saw Luinoans doing. Eating and walking. Perhaps that's what the Romans do as well.

Anyway...it always takes some inertia to propel change and change will happen again.

Perhaps I'll get my way with some glow in the dark spats!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got to Rome. I got to Luino, Italy once. Played a concert there. It was nice. Here's what I saw Luinoans doing. Eating and walking. Perhaps that's what the Romans do as well.

Anyway...it always takes some inertia to propel change and change will happen again.

i doubt it. it seems looking backwards is evil

Now if they had been playing music and walking backward while wearing glow in the dark spats....

I'd like to think last year's champion was determined by more of a performance metric. I don't think they had the strongest horns and by a good bit guard. They did have the best or nearly the best drums and by a long way, the best pit in my mind.

I remember Phantom horn's being far superior in tone and balance than most honlines (Cavies might have had most-balanced). Phantom won for loudest (and still being in-tune). Drumline was the best. I guess pit was pretty clean, but an easy book is, well, easy to play.

Bottom line, it's all subjective.

i wouldnt really call the perc book easy, front or battery

Show me the requirement to use Bb horns. Please. It is an option. By very definition a choice. Now tell me any choice in this life that doesn't carry with it some consequences. I'll wait while you come up with one.

Coke vs. Pepsi has consequences?

Grounding the pit is a choice as well, but every corps does it. Now, I'm sure you'll be quick to claim that any corps who chooses to march their pit would see their music scores suffer... but don't you think that's because their music quality actually would suffer? Doesn't grounding your pit allow you to create a better sound and play more difficult passages than you'd be able to if you were marching? That was a rhetorical question; the answer is yes and I'm not going to allow you to claim otherwise. So artistically speaking, given the opportunity to ground their pits a smart corps is going to do so because it allows them to achieve at a higher level and create a more musical show. Even if DCI were an exhibition, I can't imagine any corps today choosing to march their pit. If you can't picture that happening either, then you'd have to concede that the grounding of pit equipment is indeed a choice, and not a change made from competitive pressure. In other words, the fact that 22 out of 22 corps have made that choice means only that the choice was probably a smart course of action, and not that any corps was indirectly coerced.

For the sake of simplicity....yes, if you already had pit instruments, the rule change created an evident advantage in grounding them. As long as proponents of the change were honest about that ahead of time, that's fine.

The same is true of Bb brass. When reading about the proposal for any-key brass, you should have hopefully come across a number of reasons why Bb might be better than G.

Here's where the distinction occurs. Contrary to your assertion, the any-key brass proposal did not say any such thing. In fact, Bb was not even mentioned. Referring to the Dave Gibbs treatise I mentioned previously, here are the (excuse the pun) key passages:

"Under no circumstances will a corps be required to use instruments other than those they are now using as a result of this change. Instead, those corps that choose to explore other options in brass voicing may do so."

"If a corps decided to utilize other key instruments, the sound will be a subjective preference. It will most likely be a taste preference, just like it is now when you have two corps performing back to back and you have a opinion on which sound you prefer."

"Remember that it takes away the mandate of a particular key instrument, and does not make you switch or buy new instruments. It will create more OPTIONS for ALL units!"

It is clear, especially from the middle quote, that the proposal envisioned brasslines of different keys competing on an even playing field, with no predetermined judging preference for a particular key. That would have been fine, too - had it been true in the end. But that is not what happened.

Now, conversely, had the proposal stated the intent to allow Bb/F instruments, with the justification that they were deemed superior to G bugles by the DCI judging community, then we could have debated the change on those terms and, if ratified, known what we were getting into. But that's not what happened either.

Instead, the proposal was sold as an option....and then put into practice as a mandate.

As for the example you gave; where was that last holdout corps placing in brass when everyone was on G horns? Where have they placed since they switched to Bb horns? Usually last, and when they haven't been last then they've been very close. That's been true no matter what key their horns are in, so pointing to the key of their horns as the reason for their last place finish is a little silly. You've already pulled out the familiar correlation vs. causation fallacy in this post, but when it comes to the example you selected there's not even any significant activity there to correlate.

Yes....but now, their brass caption finishes are not determined beforehand.

Edited by audiodb