Synthesizers in drum corps

That gets repeated fairly often, but I'm not convinced it's true. Take as an example the corps that parks the battery against the sidelines for their ballad. They do so without any worry of repercussion. Call me naive if you wish, but I can't imagine a judge deciding not to give out high 9's in the effect captions just because a corps goes without a synth.

yet there continues to be much debate about should parked batteries be given as much credit

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite honestly I don't see why corps aren't using ambient noise sensors to adjust the amps.

I am relying on my own feelings toward electronics, not those other voices screaming their opinions. Maybe that's the difference. Your direct quote is really bothersome to me that you would use it as help for your argument. That's the same thing immature teens do "everybody thinks so". When you become an independent adult, you should rely on your own thought process. If you happen to arrive at the same conclusion as others after you've thought it through then good for you, at least you gave it independent thought. Giving feedback from people who agree with you only says you are not alone with your opinion, but that doesn't prove anything to the otherside of the argument.

kids dont rely on their own thoughts? puhlease. and trust me, many adults can be led by the nose on what to think and feel.

i'd give you feedback from people that like it. i just dont happen to know any

amplification is on the ensemble music sheet a part of the subcaption and it was there before every corps used it. synths could be the same thing

you don't automatically get points for just having it though. It's what you do with it that makes the difference. So, how does this change the state of the activity competitively? Also, does a corps with a larger hornline automatically score better than a smaller hornline? Does a corps that uses timpani, chimes, cymbals or a drumset score better than corps that don't use that particular instrumentation?

kids dont rely on their own thoughts? puhlease. and trust me, many adults can be led by the nose on what to think and feel.

i'd give you feedback from people that like it. i just dont happen to know any

What a nice example of a political response!

I am relying on my own feelings toward electronics, not those other voices screaming their opinions. Maybe that's the difference. Your direct quote is really bothersome to me that you would use it as help for your argument. That's the same thing immature teens do "everybody thinks so". When you become an independent adult, you should rely on your own thought process. If you happen to arrive at the same conclusion as others after you've thought it through then good for you, at least you gave it independent thought. Giving feedback from people who agree with you only says you are not alone with your opinion, but that doesn't prove anything to the otherside of the argument.

If you read way back in this discussion, SoA99, you will find some references to the rationale behind the rules change. We (the drum corps community) were told that this was a necessary change because without it, teen aged band members would no longer enjoy DCI.

Please see the section on audience impact in the proposal.

you don't automatically get points for just having it though. It's what you do with it that makes the difference. So, how does this change the state of the activity competitively? Also, does a corps with a larger hornline automatically score better than a smaller hornline? Does a corps that uses timpani, chimes, cymbals or a drumset score better than corps that don't use that particular instrumentation?

Isn't there something about it's not the size, it's how you use it... :devil:

Unfortunately, SOA99, the only way to judge art or taste in music is with the "we" argument. One could argue attendance figures or revenues but that could be another red herring as there are far fewer shows anymore. I suppose the only real way to tell whether people are offended by syths are possible having a booth at a show where people could vote on it.

So you went off on a tanget here, it wasn't me this time but I'll play along. When you say we judge art or taste with the "we" argument, what exactly do you mean? I read it as either you saying that you rely on others to tell you what you like, or there really are no requirements for what taste in music is as long we all agree--then that's standard.

If we vote on electronics, we should add other stuff to the ballot as well. I will be happy if the result is "yes" or "no".

Edited by SpiritofAtlanta99

Isn't there something about it's not the size, it's how you use it... :devil:

So couldn't you also conclude that it's not the appendage you have, it's what you can do with them? Appendage in the case being the electronics of course.

Edited by SpiritofAtlanta99

If you read way back in this discussion, SoA99, you will find some references to the rationale behind the rules change. We (the drum corps community) were told that this was a necessary change because without it, teen aged band members would no longer enjoy DCI.

Please see the section on audience impact in the proposal.

DCI stated this verbatim?