OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

The Scouts Attitude and Swagger are there people, you just can't see it because you live in the fantasy world of what ifs, could ifs should ifs......blah, blah, blah. 

want to start a new "official" thread that supports this years Scouts?

No one has every doubted the attitude. Maybe the swagger. This corps doesn't have that on the mid 90's corps by a long shot. You can have the best attitude, and the biggest swagger, but if you're getting beat by the Academy, what can you really say? The Scouts are getting screwed, and The Academy sucks?? I don't think so.

This whole process was supposed to be a 3-5 year plan. The executive director has already changed since last year. The corps missed finals in year one, 12th in year 2, and fighting for 16th in year 3 (as of today). Rather than debate how this corps would have done with Sal, or if the corps is still getting hammered for the Stewart era, or if it is a conspiracy, how about we face reality. I don't know, and I don't care. All I want is for the Scouts to do well.

What has really happened to the Scouts since they would come out of the gate early season, and give other corps a beat down and consistently place in the top 6??? That's what needs to be figured out, then DO IT.

GO SCOUTS!!!

POW

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has every doubted the attitude. Maybe the swagger. This corps doesn't have that on the mid 90's corps by a long shot. You can have the best attitude, and the biggest swagger, but if you're getting beat by the Academy, what can you really say? The Scouts are getting screwed, and The Academy sucks?? I don't think so.

This whole process was supposed to be a 3-5 year plan. The executive director has already changed since last year. The corps missed finals in year one, 12th in year 2, and fighting for 16th in year 3 (as of today). Rather than debate how this corps would have done with Sal, or if the corps is still getting hammered for the Stewart era, or if it is a conspiracy, how about we face reality. I don't know, and I don't care. All I want is for the Scouts to do well.

What has really happened to the Scouts since they would come out of the gate early season, and give other corps a beat down and consistently place in the top 6??? That's what needs to be figured out, then DO IT.

GO SCOUTS!!!

POW

YES!!!

Oh...Scouts, if you are watching...please remove drum break number 3...about 9 or so minutes into the show. It is redundant and it totally gets in the way of the dark vibe at the beginning of that part of the show. Take the drums out and keep the same horn parts...so nothing lost. This will give you upwards of 6 measures to play with at the end of the show...which builds and builds (sounds like a past Phantom Regiment chord progression)...but goes nowhere fast. ditch the drum part...add some horn speed and volume to the end...maybe a fleur. IMO...this gets you a quick point of more.

You know what, I'm glad there was no internet back when I marched !

Bill

Madison Scout fan since 1974, even marched for a couple of years .

"POW"

Edited by Bill L.

I have been pretty quiet on here this year, mostly because I haven't seen the corps live. BUT, after watching the DATR show, I don't even know what to say. Tomorrow will be a good test to see where they stack up against everyone else while at the same show. I'm guessing 16th, maybe 15th. The DATR show was stunning to me in a negative way - the high camera angle doesn't lie - a mess at times. Many of the forms, due to holes and interval problems weren't even readable. From the ballad to the end = FLAT. NO POW reaction from me, NONE. Was this show the unveiling of the "new planned ending" like last year?? Not sure, but if it was, I just don't get it. With show design starting so early, I still don't understand why the Scouts seem to get kind of a late start. I'm won't speak of this year, but last year a guy I know in the snareline said that they didn't even get the MUSIC for the closer until a week before the first show. I just don't know how that is putting the corps in a postion to succeed.

Some positives from DATR - (I am no guard guy) it was nice to see a 30+ member guard filling the field, not sure how good they are - but a building block to what has been one of their problems in recent years hopefully.

Nice mellos!!! Hornline sounded good, then seemed to run out of gas

Nice exposed BD part :spitting:

Tenors seem quality

A few negatives with drums -

lots of 8th notes in first break

the last break seemed odd - almost not like Roger's writing - very thick not quite sure about this part yet.

You know what, I'm glad there was no internet back when I marched !

Bill

Madison Scout fan since 1974, even marched for a couple of years .

"POW"

Amen to that!

I have been pretty quiet on here this year, mostly because I haven't seen the corps live. BUT, after watching the DATR show, I don't even know what to say. Tomorrow will be a good test to see where they stack up against everyone else while at the same show. I'm guessing 16th, maybe 15th. The DATR show was stunning to me in a negative way - the high camera angle doesn't lie - a mess at times. Many of the forms, due to holes and interval problems weren't even readable. From the ballad to the end = FLAT. NO POW reaction from me, NONE. Was this show the unveiling of the "new planned ending" like last year?? Not sure, but if it was, I just don't get it. With show design starting so early, I still don't understand why the Scouts seem to get kind of a late start. I'm won't speak of this year, but last year a guy I know in the snareline said that they didn't even get the MUSIC for the closer until a week before the first show. I just don't know how that is putting the corps in a postion to succeed.

Some positives from DATR - (I am no guard guy) it was nice to see a 30+ member guard filling the field, not sure how good they are - but a building block to what has been one of their problems in recent years hopefully.

Nice mellos!!! Hornline sounded good, then seemed to run out of gas

Nice exposed BD part :spitting:

Tenors seem quality

A few negatives with drums -

lots of 8th notes in first break

the last break seemed odd - almost not like Roger's writing - very thick not quite sure about this part yet.

Like I suggested before...it needs to be removed...as it seems like it was just thrown in between horn parts. Again...it would allow for more time at the end of the show...hell, even a park and blow would be cool...ala 1980!

I wonder - is this going to turn into one of those 'you never marched, so you can't have an opinion' threads?? Just curious.....

I wonder - is this going to turn into one of those 'you never marched, so you can't have an opinion' threads?? Just curious.....

Having not marched, maybe we can rely on you to give an objective view of corps without green, black (tan or white), blue, rose(mont), cream, maroon, or purple colored glasses affixed to your face.

One need not make movies to opine about their like or dislike or a particular film, why should not marching in drum corps be any different? I'm not a chef, but I hate curry...

Having not marched, maybe we can rely on you to give an objective view of corps without green, black (tan or white), blue, rose(mont), cream, maroon, or purple colored glasses affixed to your face.

One need not make movies to opine about their like or dislike or a particular film, why should not marching in drum corps be any different? I'm not a chef, but I hate curry...

Please :spitting:

I never marched either - I tried out and made the 1991 Scouts snareline, but ended up deciding not to march after the March camp ......

I think you and I are actually on the same page with this. Maybe jumping all over someone without knowing their intent isn't the best idea..