OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Mr. Nickelsen,

I usually do a fairly decent job of expressing myself but have clearly failed, at least where the Nickelsen’s are concerned, so I shall attempt to be very clear without belaboring this nonsense any further.

“Einfach unglaublich…you guys are kidding right?” – KH. An expression of exasperation and utter shock at having, apparently, offended with what I consider to be a bit of simple and accurate humor.

Your quote, “THAT is not the Madison Scout swagger that I grew up knowing.” – MJN, and my response to it, “Funny, because I grew up in a family filthy with Scouts and THAT is EXACTLY the kind of swagger I grew up with and let me let you in on a little secret…it has served me quite well over the years, thank you very much.” – KH.

Acn’s quote, “So telling someone that if they're in the Scouts - they're 10 times better than anyone, while they're actually fighting for 15th is funny?? I'd be embarassed. But that's just me. ” – acn, and my response to it, “Furthermore acn, the possibility that the Scouts may be fighting for fifteenth place hasn’t effected the size of my balls one bit…but maybe you should take a moment to establish the existence of yours, because if your measure of self worth is a subjective number assigned to you by a panel of judges you are going to spend the rest of your life being…well, to be blunt…a loser. You see, placement at DCI finals has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the men marching in this year’s corps…that is determined by their character, not by a ring or a score or your approval. Haven’t you been paying attention for the past seven decades?” – KH.

*Please note: The responses to your quote and to acn’s are two separate ideas which I thought had been made clear by starting the second sentence of the paragraph with “Furthermore acn”.

Are we at least clear on these points?

Now, to your charge that alums like me, maintain or project an “elitist attitude” I say, “Your g-d@mned right we do!” And do you know why that is Mr. Nickelsen? Let me tell you why, because people who project an average attitude are average and are fated to accomplish average things. I actually believe that the Madison Scouts organization builds elite men, men who do not derive their self-confidence from your opinion or mine or those of a group of judges. As Castaneda points out in his work Tales of Power, “The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.” You are welcome to pursue whatever degree of self-confidence makes you happy but we are not average men and, even though it clearly makes you uncomfortable, we will not apologize for being part of an amazing, elite organization.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Castaneda points out in his work Tales of Power...

Pseudo-intellectuals rely on quote from others’ original works, just as you have done repeatedly in this thread. True intellectuals generate meaningful and lasting ideas within their own gray matter.

Rather than proselytizing using quotes, convince the naysayers to convert based on your won articulated passion. It should prove to be much more effective.

On to Indy!

Edited by MrObvious

To you, my hope is that khoutler won't poo-poo your accomplishment by saying that all you did was earn "a subjective number assigned to you by a panel of judges".

"if your measure of self worth is a subjective number assigned to you by a panel of judges…" - KH.

Context...it's a marvelous thing.

As for my reliance on other’s work, I just quickly ran through all of my posts here for the use of attributed quotations and located two, Foch and Castaneda. Incidentally I thought the Foch quote was used in a rather novel way and to good effect…but that’s just me. Needless to say, now that I am aware of being in the presence of an intellectual giant of your stature, Mr. Machiavelli, I will be more conscientious regarding my use of lazy literary devices.

Have a lovely day,

Ok here is another attempt to clarify a few things.......

Your quote, “THAT is not the Madison Scout swagger that I grew up knowing.” – MJN, and my response to it, “Funny, because I grew up in a family filthy with Scouts and THAT is EXACTLY the kind of swagger I grew up with and let me let you in on a little secret…it has served me quite well over the years, thank you very much.” – KH.

Ken - apparently you seem to still not realize that you are misquoting ..............

THAT is not the Madison Scout swagger that I grew up knowing.

See where it says 'acn' not 'MJN'?? so there is one misquote

next

“Furthermore acn, the possibility that the Scouts may be fighting for fifteenth place hasn’t effected the size of my balls one bit…but maybe you should take a moment to establish the existence of yours, because if your measure of self worth is a subjective number assigned to you by a panel of judges you are going to spend the rest of your life being…well, to be blunt…a loser. You see, placement at DCI finals has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the men marching in this year’s corps…that is determined by their character, not by a ring or a score or your approval. Haven’t you been paying attention for the past seven decades?” – KH.

*Please note: The responses to your quote and to acn’s are two separate ideas which I thought had been made clear by starting the second sentence of the paragraph with “Furthermore acn”.

Are we at least clear on these points?

I guess I am clear on who said what, you obviously are not

Andy made the comment about fighting for 15th, not me, acn said nothing about the size of your balls ----

here is, AGAIN, what I said

I wasn't really trying to be funny. I think it's a valid question about what the intended meaning of that 'message' was (don't know if it's a t-shirt, or not). People jumped all over us a few weeks ago because I guess we were taking things a bit to literal, so I was curious if this was another motivational/inspirational/ball puffing type thing.

As I said last night, I think you and I actually agree on the meaning of the 'message' - nothing was said about ball size...the 'ball puffing' part I guess is another way I would say chest puffing/not meant to be a negative at all.

You were the one who started the insults, am I right??

Now, to your charge that alums like me, maintain or project an “elitist attitude” I say, “Your g-d@mned right we do!” And do you know why that is Mr. Nickelsen? Let me tell you why, because people who project an average attitude are average and are fated to accomplish average things. I actually believe that the Madison Scouts organization builds elite men, men who do not derive their self-confidence from your opinion or mine or those of a group of judges. You are welcome to pursue whatever degree of self-confidence makes you happy but we are not average men and, even though it clearly makes you uncomfortable, we will not apologize for being part of an amazing, elite organization.

Finally an alum who admits to the 'elitist attitude'. There is no question in my mind that the Scouts are an amazing, elite organization, too bad there isn't a little modesty in the way you portray your self-confidence. Whether you were quoting me, or my brother, acn, your little childish meltdown was offensive to me.

Why dont you guys take up your arguement using the PM feature. Certainly this day of Quarterfinals there is no place for this on this thread.

Go Madison!!!

Why dont you guys take up your arguement using the PM feature. Certainly this day of Quarterfinals there is no place for this on this thread.

Go Madison!!!

I simply wanted to clarify a few things - when insults are thrown my way on a public forum, I feel the need to defend myself, or my brother. Whether it is quarterfinals day or not, is meaningless as far as that goes.

I apologize for taking the focus off the corps....I hope they have a great show today.

POW

Go Madison!!!

:laughing::worthy::lol::worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: