What Jr. Corps made drum corps popular?

I MARCHED WITH THE MADISON SCOUTS FROM "63" - "67". THE BEST TIMES OF MY LIFE.

I LOST MY LAST THREE YEARS OF ELEGIBILTY TO GO TO WAR.

WHEN I CAME HOME IN "71" I DROVE EQUIPMENT TRUCK FOR MANY YEARS.

MY KIDS WERE RAISED ON D.C. MY SON MARCHED "88" AND "89". THE KIDS THOUGHT MOM & DAD WORKED FOR THE CARNIVAL - DAVE KAMPSHIRE CALL THESE CARNEY KIDS.

IN 1966 MADISON CRASHED THE DREAM AT ROOSEVELDT STADIUM - WE INVITED OURSELVES TO THE PARTY.

WHAT FUN - I.C. REVERIES SIT DOWN STRIKE ON THE STARTING LINE - FANS THROWING BEER BOTTLES OUT OF THE SEATS.

THOSE WERE THE HAYDAYS OF DRUM CORPS - WHAT WAS A LOCAL YOUTH ACTIVITY IS NOW A BUISINESS TO CREATE MUSIC MAJORS AND PERFORMERS FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS.

SAD! MADISON DOESN'T HAVE A SINGLE MADISON KID MARCHING IN THE CORPS AND HASN'T FOR SEVERAL YEARS. SO SAD!

I WAS DIRECTED TO THIS SITE BY A CORPS BROTHER THAT MARCHED WITH MY SON. I TOLD HIM HE HAD SENT ME TO A NURSING RUN BY GEORGE BONFIGGLIO AND THE THREE CATHOLIC PRIESTS FROM THE HOLY NAME CADETS, ST. VINNIES AND BLESSED SAC.

JOHN A. HILLEBRANDT

BEEBES FAVORITE SON

This is the first time I've ever heard a Madison Scout acknowledge that they manipulated rules to make VFW Finals in 1966. I've never before seen or heard any of them comment on the event. The reason IC sat on the starting line was because Madison, in effect, cheated. They discovered a loop hole in the VFW rules concerning minimum timing in prelims shows. They did a something with crossing the endline early in their show, which caused execution judging to stop well before the four minutes that other corps were judged, which then inflated Madison's execution scores. Their shenanigans worked. They jumped over Racine Scouts, who had beat them pretty solidly all year, to place 10th, much higher than anyone including they, expected. But they got a 2 point penalty for undertime, which put Racine Scouts in the finals at 12th, IC at 13th, and Madison at 14th. Madison protested and pointed out the loophole, and since they followed the letter of the rule if not the spirit, the VFW had no choice but allow Madison to compete. But since Racine Scouts legitimately made the finals, the VFW let them perform, too. IC got mad. They said that if Madison got in at 14th place, they, in 13th place, should be in, too. The bottom line of it all was that Madison performed in a show they didn't actually earn, IC Reveries folded and 27th started, and the Racine Scouts got totally screwed at 1966 finals. They performed in daylight. They lit up the crowed and got a minute long standing ovation from half way through the exit until they stopped playing. Then there was a two hour break before the next corps performed. By then, everyone had forgotten that the Scouts were even in the show, and the scores after IC and dark were skewed much higher. Racine beat Madison the next night and in all shows the rest of the year.

Edited by alankarls

I may have, but he said IC sat down on the line in Roosevelt Stadium and that was the the VFW nationals to which Madison was officially not invited, until they threatened a law suit. And if that's the case, I still have never heard a Madison Scout discuss or defend how they got into finals in 1966.

Edited by alankarls