What Jr. Corps made drum corps popular?

The answer could come from any decade really BUT what corps brought drum corps into the public eye and made the activity popular? I would have to say that possibly Troopers or Santa Clara but to go back further even...there has got to be a corps or two.

definitely Troopers! :shutup: :shutup: I really wish I could of marched this year!

Drum corps is popular?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Drum corps is popular?

Wait. It is to us, and who else matters?!

To answer the question in as much as honest way I can, "popular" is all about time and region. In the Midwest it could be the Troopers - the whole state supports them. Although Cavaliers or the Kilts have enough cache to be one of the ones. That covers Illinois, and Wisconsin but leaves out Ohio, Pennsylvania, North & South Dakota, Idaho which I'm sure had their Drum Corps.

In the East - especially BITD - and I mean those halcyon days of the early sixties when every hamlet and town had a drum corps - who the heck can say? St. Rocco's Cadets? Holy Name (or whichever name they've been using over the past 75 years) Cadets. All the corps who only used one name - or less? I.C., Boston, St. Kevins, 27, Loretto, Sac, or any of the hundreds of corps populating Upstate New York, New Jersey - I'm sure Trumbull Cadets had a lot to do with why kids in Connecticut loved drum corps - they couldn't have recruited 45 women to march in their guard without some popularity, you know?! Of course, that also leaves out Delaware, mostly all of the South (which I don't mean to but I like to because they are the South and would rather shoot guns than bang drums plus, they never made the 1776 poster. And out West, well you have to say it started a little later, I think but Anaheim and SCV have had their share of increasing the popularity of the activity. But I'm also sure there were a bunch of corps from Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Arizona.

If you think about it at all, this is a totally unanswerable question - unless you don't think about it - but at the same time it's the perfect question for a Historical Junior Corps Discussion Thread.

Of course I'm going to go way out in left field (not that I ever do that!) and say that more than any other Drum Corps in the shortest amount of time to make the general public aware of drum corps was and is Star Of Indiana. C'mon, from 10th to 1st in 8 years!? Then, like true champions, they hung up their boots and took their show to the World. Final Answer.

Puppet

The answer could come from any decade really BUT what corps brought drum corps into the public eye and made the activity popular? I would have to say that possibly Troopers or Santa Clara but to go back further even...there has got to be a corps or two.

Popular?

• Like 1

Yeah, I dunno know about the "popular" thing either, but there was a moment when drum corps started becoming "respectable." I remember being in a high school library in the mid 70s and seeing The Instrumentalist magazine with a picture of some Troopers baritones on the cover, and a number of articles telling their school band director readership what was happening in drum corps. The overall tone of the issue (and I'm not making this up) was more or less "drum corps has come a long way from uneducated cavemen abusing drums and horns..."

Santa Clara was predominantly featured throughout the issue as the paradigm of what 'good' drum corps was all about, which makes sense given the relative sophistication of their mid-70s shows. From that standpoint, I'd argue that SCV made drum corps 'respectable' in the 70s, with Garfield ratcheting up the idea in the early 80s. From there, it hasn't seemed that the activity needed too much help in the respect department.

Edited by mobrien

Okay.....for your own minds, delete the word popular and insert whatever word works for you!