High: 97 degrees

Tomorrow:

Brazil, IN

High: 93 degrees

Thursday: (Competition day)

Toledo, OH

High: 84 degrees

Scattered Thunderstorms. 50% chance of precipitation

I wonder when the last time the corps got to practice in weather that was less than 90 degrees.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have nothing but negative things to say and want to fight with alumni on here, please open your own thread.

Out of respect to the Crossmen members and alumni of our corps, please do not turn this "Official Crossmen Thread" into a corps bashing for your own enjoyment.

Crossmen do not deserve that.

Thank you.

Oh, I don't think we need to go that far, Michele. It's all good. The Crossmen can handle criticism, it's part of being in the arena. And part of talking about the corps is talking about the good AND bad; the stuff that's great and the stuff that needs improvement. As long as people remain civil and respectful to each other, there shouldn't be a need to start new threads or preclude people from participating in this one. Certainly, there are alumni who are still not happy with the move to Texas, or with the uniforms, or with the music, or with the drill or with any number of things that look or sound different than when they marched. As I've been saying, things like that change, and it's OK to express opinions about them. It keeps people passionate about our drum corps, and that's good. I'm convinced that all one has to do is spend even a small amount of time around the corps to see just how little things have actually changed in terms of how the corps fits into that Crossmen "community" of members dating back to the very beginning. They are just as proud of their heritage and history and traditions as any of us were, and a 2000 mile trip across the country will never change that. Those roots run DEEP, as many of us have witnessed.

I do find it slightly amusing that all this discussion has sprouted forth about an unfinished preview show, however. I think I have an old video of the 1992 preview show we did lying around somewhere...YIKES!!! The whole show seemed like it was in slow motion, the tempos were so ungodly slow. What a mess! Haha!!

By the way, I marched with mfrontz in the Crossmen back in '92, and I totally got his sarcasm. Made me laugh out loud. Hope all is well with you and your family, Chip! :tongue:

Gary C

I didn't look in this thread for 24hrs and here we are having the "Crossmen are still the Crossmen" discussion AGAIN? :worthy:Seriously?!!!!

Did we not beat this dead horse already? And why is it always started by someone that didn't even march in the corps?? Can't we talk about something new for once?!! Sheesh!

If you want to discuss this year's programming direction, or which drumline year was the best year, great! We'll gladly chat with you about it, and I bet you will be surprised to find a nice diversity of opinions on that subject. :worthy:

However, the discussions lose all credibility when people start making blanket statements about how the Crossmen aren't really the Crossmen anymore. Here on DCP, things like that almost always have been said by people that are outside observers, that don't actually have anything to do with the corps besides watching a show here or there.....

Again (as I have posted this before in the last thread related to this issue :tongue: ) I challenge anyone to walk up to the current Crossmen staff & members and tell them that they aren't really Crossmen. Let's see how that works out for ya..... :worthy:

Those statements about the Crossmen no longer being the Crossmen are a slap in the face to anyone that has ever been part of this drum corps. I bet that if any of the people making these statements were to volunteer for the corps for even just a few days, they would quickly realize that the Crossmen are still THE CROSSMEN. Regardless of where they practice, or what music they play.

How many years have the alumni been posting pretty much the same replies to this same issue? Give it a rest already!! There are plenty of other things to discuss!

Back on topic: Can't wait to hear how the Toledo show goes! Hopefully the box truck will be fixed by then. (Yes, in typical Crossmen fashion, something has broken down already. :worthy: )

I didn't look in this thread for 24hrs and here we are having the "Crossmen are still the Crossmen" discussion AGAIN? :worthy:Seriously?!!!!

Did we not beat this dead horse already? And why is it always started by someone that didn't even march in the corps?? Can't we talk about something new for once?!! Sheesh!

If you want to discuss this year's programming direction, or which drumline year was the best year, great! We'll gladly chat with you about it, and I bet you will be surprised to find a nice diversity of opinions on that subject. :worthy:

However, the discussions lose all credibility when people start making blanket statements about how the Crossmen aren't really the Crossmen anymore. Here on DCP, things like that almost always have been said by people that are outside observers, that don't actually have anything to do with the corps besides watching a show here or there.....

Again (as I have posted this before in the last thread related to this issue :tongue: ) I challenge anyone to walk up to the current Crossmen staff & members and tell them that they aren't really Crossmen. Let's see how that works out for ya..... :worthy:

Those statements about the Crossmen no longer being the Crossmen are a slap in the face to anyone that has ever been part of this drum corps. I bet that if any of the people making these statements were to volunteer for the corps for even just a few days, they would quickly realize that the Crossmen are still THE CROSSMEN. Regardless of where they practice, or what music they play.

How many years have the alumni been posting pretty much the same replies to this same issue? Give it a rest already!! There are plenty of other things to discuss!

Back on topic: Can't wait to hear how the Toledo show goes! Hopefully the box truck will be fixed by then. (Yes, in typical Crossmen fashion, something has broken down already. :worthy: )

Calm down..............Breathe.............Everything will be OK..............GOOD DRUM CORPS MUSIC

Now, THAT's the Crossmen.

At History Night, I showed some old Super 8 movies from 1976-78. At least three times, there was film footage of breakdowns. I even have a cool shot of about 10 guys pushing the bus to start it. That was how it always had to be started.

Some things never change. :tongue:

wow, this thread got intense. There are often mentions on DCP about how "BD isn't BD anymore" and "the Cadets aren't the Cadets anymore" and "SCV isn't SCV anymore" and "Scouts aren't the Scouts anymore" etc. I think mostly when people say these things they are talking about the music. And the music has changed. Shows are programmed differently now. It is what it is. If we read it as "The Crossmen aren't playing the same music style as they were in the mid90s/early00s" then I don't think anyone would disagree.

I wonder when the last time the corps got to practice in weather that was less than 90 degrees.

good question... I guess March.

BTW--

I got this Tweet from the corps:

Crossmen: Crossmen have arrived in lovely Camdenton, Mo. Getting ready to perform for the Missouri bandmaster's association tonight.

I don't know if that's open to the public.

Edited by barigirl78

bandmaster?

sounds kinky

Someone's gotta whip those clarinetists in shape. :tongue:

Seriously, I looked it up on line and they are having a convention...

https://missouribandmasters.org/index.php

Mark Chambers is on the agenda:

4:00- 5:00 p.m. CLINIC: “Concepts, Strategies And Techniques For The Contemporary Marching Band” Clinician: Mark Chambers,

Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corp

<snip>

7:30 – 9:00 p.m. MARCHING EXHIBITION: “The Crossmen Drum and Bugle Corp”

That's long for an exhibition. I guess they are doing more than just perform the show.

Ya I agree with you. It's a crap argument to make that a corps isnt themselves anymore because of where they're located, or because of what they're playing. The days of a corps "being where they're from" because of a strong local membership base are long gone, with the exception of the Colts maybe, who have the best cadets program east of the Rockies. A corps could declare their headquarters on Mars for all it would matter in today's TRULY international approach to recruiting.