Official 2009 Crossmen Thread

the music at the end of the clip... were they moving and playing? or standing still?

It was the beginning of their full run at the end of the night.. The background noise during the interview itself was just regular old rehearsal. I have lots of video, but not the cord to connect to the computer! : /

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First contest of 09 is in the books....Crossmen members are a little bummed but tomorrow is another day...two days of rehearsal and show days on Sunday and Monday.

Push through, work hard, think positive.

First contest of 09 is in the books....Crossmen members are a little bummed but tomorrow is another day...two days of rehearsal and show days on Sunday and Monday.

Push through, work hard, think positive.

Recaps are up and it's quite encouraging for Visual. They came in 4th, beating both Glassmen and Colts. General Effect was the main culprit for them being so far behind. From what I can tell, they aren't even performing the whole show or telling the storyline yet. Add in they had no guard uni's and it isn't surprising.

But, there is a lot to be encouraged about. In music, they were only 0.7 behind the Colts, despite everyone saying there were jitters and some music execution problems given the difficulty of the drill. Percussion score was closer to Colts and Glassmen than the ensemble score. I've seen them practicing at standstill and look and sound great. Once they can do that while marching, they will be a highlight of the show, I believe.

It's not just the kids that have to work hard. The staff has to continue to evolve the show into what it's supposed to be to get that GE score up. Staff creates the show. Members execute it.

It's only the 1st show. It's out of the way and they know what they have to do. I'm very encouraged and the members should be, too. Go Bones.

Why has Crossmen opted to do so few shows in June? Obviously fewer shows means more time to rehearse, but there is obviously a lot of benefit to be performing more. The corps is able to see what the judges are looking for and it's important for the corps to make a statement to as many audiences as possible. Where Crossmen has had one show to date, both Glassmen and Colts, Crossmens' competitors in last night's recaps, have each had around five or six. I'm not criticizing the organization, I'm just wondering why this corps needed so much more rehearsal time while other corps were already competing.

Why has Crossmen opted to do so few shows in June? Obviously fewer shows means more time to rehearse, but there is obviously a lot of benefit to be performing more. The corps is able to see what the judges are looking for and it's important for the corps to make a statement to as many audiences as possible. Where Crossmen has had one show to date, both Glassmen and Colts, Crossmens' competitors in last night's recaps, have each had around five or six. I'm not criticizing the organization, I'm just wondering why this corps needed so much more rehearsal time while other corps were already competing.

I certainly don't know the answer to that question.

But, I don't think the late start is going to have a longterm effect. Short-term, yes.

My count may be off, but I believe they compete 26 times this year vs. 29 times last year. Someone else could perhaps confirm that.

My observation and possible answer to this question

Move ins occured the week after Memorial Day this year, last year it was Memorial Day and attendance was spotty so I think the administrators made the conscience decision to change the date this year.

With many in the membership attending Texas high schools..recently graduated and rising seniors, many were still in school first few days of June. Some of the members were able to take their finals early most had to take finals when they were assigned. So believe ALL members had arrived by June 6 after they were done with school and other obligations (graduation and playing for graduation).

It's a long trek for them to travel...it takes 7 hours just to get out of Texas. Heading north a week earlier to me would have put them in a very tough position...all moved in by June 6 on tour by June 13-15 crazy.

Believe the staff and administrators knew they were going to come up on this situation...all other corps have numerous shows behind them Crossmen attending their first contest. The kids know the strong potential with this show. All the vets know there is more difficulty via drill and music with this show than in last years show. They had a good show, staff was happy with the performance, just a little bummed about the outcome. They will work through it and move on just as they did last year...to recap, they were behind all these corps last year too.

All the reviews I have read have been positive, contrary to the corps reviews from 08. Definately step in the right direction.

With a few days of rehearsal outside of the 100 degree temperatures they have experienced for three weeks now, completing the show, building confidence, I anticipate they will be making jumps in score.

they moved in later than almost every world class corps. Not till the week after memorial day.

As for why they moved in later, I don't know.

I wish Crossmen were still on the east coast. I have not seen them in a LONG time. I feel bad.

They are always at DCI East and West Chester. And they also do shows in New Jersey, Mass, and Virginia.

Well if it was an effort to put a more polished product on the field it does not appear to have paid off. Not sayin that's why, just sayin.