Has anyone heard of MillenniuM

is it normal for International corps to use trombones?

is it normal for International corps to use trombones?

Good question... If you go to their web site, you'll see the latest videos and the corps doesn't look like they have trombones any longer.

I seem to recall that more instruments are legal in DCE.

I've wondered what Blue group that was. Can't say I like that uniform in blue, just doesn't seem right. Always good to see an international group though.

Check out this group from Brazil. Progesso Brass and Drum Corps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruDBRSsYAA...feature=related

Until the late 90's bands in Brazil were very "1950's" style. In 1997, Marcello Bonvenuto, the director of a private school in Sao Paulo, found a DCI video, got hooked and came to Madison in the winter of 97/98 to visit camps and school bands. Capital Sound Director Keith Gee and myself (then assisting at Scouts and managing the re-build of Southwind) went to Brazil several times, presented clinics and got them set up.

We also hosted their band directors for tour in 1999 (they spent a week each with CapSound, Scouts and Southwind), brought a trumpet player into Southwind and a trumpet player into Capital Sound for the summer of 2000. In 2003 I hosted a young man into Blue Stars pit. In 2005 we hosted a band director as a "roadie" at Phantom. I have made 8 trips for clinics/camps since, Dan Farrell of Phantom has been down once with me, Keith Gee lived their for a year, former BD snare drummer John Grant lived there for a few years and gave lessons and worked drums (and is back down again), Madison brass staff legend Clay Wacholz has done several clinics and this year I am hosting a snare drummer from Brazil who is in Pacific Crest.

Marcello was back in the US this winter and I took him to a Vanguard camp, he even got to see that amazing SCV Winter Guard perform.

We also have worked extensively with instrument manufacturers there (Rush, Adah and Octagon percussion companies and Weril and Cesar Som brass companies) to develop modern-style equipment, as US and Japanese imports are very hard to come by (very strict import laws rule Brazil). One student has even started his own drum stick business in his garage!

They now have a small circuit of corps-style bands. Progresso is primarily the best of the lot, but others are developing fast. Perhaps the video is not too impressive, but if you could see Brazil marching arts circa 1997, well...Marcello and crew have moved the ball about 3 decades in just 10 years!

Pat Seidling

Stanbury Uniforms - California

Blue Devils System Blue manager

Edited by PSeidling

Good to see that the marching arts are almost everywhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruDBRSsYAA...feature=related

Until the late 90's bands in Brazil were very "1950's" style. In 1997, Marcello Bonvenuto, the director of a private school in Sao Paulo, found a DCI video, got hooked and came to Madison in the winter of 97/98 to visit camps and school bands. Capital Sound Director Keith Gee and myself (then assisting at Scouts and managing the re-build of Southwind) went to Brazil several times, presented clinics and got them set up.

We also hosted their band directors for tour in 1999 (they spent a week each with CapSound, Scouts and Southwind), brought a trumpet player into Southwind and a trumpet player into Capital Sound for the summer of 2000. In 2003 I hosted a young man into Blue Stars pit. In 2005 we hosted a band director as a "roadie" at Phantom. I have made 8 trips for clinics/camps since, Dan Farrell of Phantom has been down once with me, Keith Gee lived their for a year, former BD snare drummer John Grant lived there for a few years and gave lessons and worked drums (and is back down again), Madison brass staff legend Clay Wacholz has done several clinics and this year I am hosting a snare drummer from Brazil who is in Pacific Crest.

We also have worked extensively with instrument manufacturers there (Rush, Adah and Octagon percussion companies and Weril and Cesar Som brass companies) to develop modern-style equipment, as US and Japanese imports are very hard to come by (very strict import laws rule Brazil). One student has even started his own drum stick business in his garage!

They now have a small circuit of corps-style bands. Progresso is primarily the best of the lot, but others are developing fast. Perhaps the video is not too impressive, but if you could see Brazil marching arts circa 1997, well...Marcello and crew have moved the ball about 3 decades in just 10 years!

Pat Seidling

Until the late 90's bands in Brazil were very "1950's" style. In 1997, Marcello Bonvenuto, the director of a private school in Sao Paulo, found a DCI video, got hooked and came to Madison in the winter of 97/98 to visit camps and school bands. Capital Sound Director Keith Gee and myself (then assisting at Scouts and managing the re-build of Southwind) went to Brazil several times and clinics and got them set up.

Pat Seidling

Here's a better vid, Pat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruDBRSsYAA...feature=related ...playing Regiment 04....and really...not too bad at all!! (Was waiting for the kick wedge at the end, tho!)

Millennium, also, did a REAL good job on the YT vids I saw (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohnn5n4XNfM...feature=related )....would LOVE to see both those groups come up!!

Edited by 84BDsop

Good question... If you go to their web site, you'll see the latest videos and the corps doesn't look like they have trombones any longer.

I seem to recall that more instruments are legal in DCE.

Millenium was a marching band till 2005, since 2006 they are a drum & bugle corps.

Millenium was a marching band till 2005, since 2006 they are a drum & bugle corps.

what is the DCE distinction between Corps and Show bands?

simply instrumentation or are their more strings attached?

In 1997, Marcello Bonvenuto, the director of a private school in Sao Paulo, found a DCI video, got hooked and came to Madison in the winter of 97/98 to visit camps and school bands.

Somewhat similar to the founding of DCUK. Dagenham's John Johnson saw a vid of SCV and said "THAT'S the sound I'm looking for" and ran with it.

Ironic that he discovered SCV and wanted that sound.....yet we looked like BD!!