Blue Stars need a Tenor Player due to injury

If you've signed a contract, you've committed to pay $X to that corps. DCI does not allow you to march with ANY corps if you owe money to ANY other corps. The only way a member can get out of that is if the original corps releases them from their contract, which from what I've heard can only come from the director.

This "Rule" has been around for a while but in one instance was not enforced. I can tell you, based on first hand experience, that in the past a member of a Div 3 went to a top 12 twelve corps owing the Div 3 corps almost a whole season's worth of dues. The top 12 corps didn't care and neither did DCI.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to a recent medical injury, the 2009 Blue Stars need a tenor/quad player for their drumline. For more information, please contact Corps Director, Howard Weinstein at 727-560-3979 or through email at director@bluestars.org

Does it matter if he's 32, has a full time job, and hasn't played tenors in about 10 years? Yeah, that probably does matter, huh? But seriously, my heart goes out to the poor kid who lost his spot for the injury. That's a tough break. I truly hope his health returns soon.

The biggest shame is that this is a Blue Stars vet that finally made tenors this year. And he is a great person.

That really does stink. Hopefully he is not aging out and can go at it again next year.

This "Rule" has been around for a while but in one instance was not enforced. I can tell you, based on first hand experience, that in the past a member of a Div 3 went to a top 12 twelve corps owing the Div 3 corps almost a whole season's worth of dues. The top 12 corps didn't care and neither did DCI.

And I can tell you from first hand experience where a Div III corps did the same without hesitation or remorse. As a matter fact, I have seen this done with greater frequency within Div III's than any other division. Most likely due to desparate measures in fielding a corps for yet another season. From what I have seen, Div III corps are their worst enemies when it comes to this practice.

I am guessing that Blue Stars are very sensitive to this and would not resort to these kinds of tacticts when recruiting given their rich history that includes a very successfull period within Div III.

Sorry for being off topic...just wanted to add my comments regarding this subject.

Edited by ContraJohn

And I can tell you from first hand experience where a Div III corps did the same without hesitation or remorse. As a matter fact, I have seen this done with greater frequency within Div III's than any other division. Most likely due to desparate measures in fielding a corps for yet another season. From what I have seen, Div III corps are their worst enemies when it comes to this practice.

I am guessing that Blue Stars are very sensitive to this and would not resort to these kinds of tacticts when recruiting given their rich history that includes a very successfull period within Div III.

Sorry for being off topic...just wanted to add my comments regarding this subject.

Also would like to add: I see no problem with any member trying to escape a bad situation due to unfulfilled expectations or a corps not living up to providing a quality experience that was promised to them and others as a tool for recruitment.

It is not fun touring with a corps that promised new buses and shiny new equipment that will replace the ones held together with duct tape and bubble gum.

Perhaps I should have left out the Divisions in my post. I certainly didn't want to wail on any particular group - just wanted to point out that it happens.

Peace.