SCV dress rehearsal tonight

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waiting patiently for a review.

ANGELS CAMP, CA - The Santa Clara Vanguard previewed their 2009 production "Ballet for Martha" (Appalachian Spring) during a dress rehearsal in front of an audience consisting of the local community and dc fans. I did not count the number of attendees but my best guest is several hundred. Unis...very simple look. the dark green pants are back with a lighter red top with white signature stripe. Not much detail..they are still getting the unis properly fitted. This look is several steps back from the detail of the uni last year. The battery has Kelly green shells; nice. Guard was still in black practice dance gear but the ladies wore a blue removable skirt. Jeff Fiedler told the crown that the guard unis would be in for Sunday. The crowd saw about 9 minutes. They will be learning the last act in next week.

The show is a tribute to Martha Graham as evidenced by the guard work; the brass also get into dance mode featuring some work from members and ensemble The guard has some high exposure tosses with rifles; group sequential. The Brass book has great potential this year and features several duets and solos. Key Poulan's arrangement is fresh and the transitions between acts are smooth just wait until the dynamics are crafted in. Percussion appears to be the weakest link this year but again this is early in the season. The pit and bass drums need some wood shedding. SCV will need to execute this show with precision this year it appears the staff designed the show for this purpose. Performance and precision are the keys. If they do so they can secure a top 6 spot. Top 3?...no.

Unis...very simple look. the dark green pants are back with a lighter red top with white signature stripe. Not much detail..they are still getting the unis properly fitted. This look is several steps back from the detail of the uni last year.

Similar to 1999 -2004 unis?

Similar to 1999 -2004 unis?

[/quote

yes.. also I forgot to mention the electronic keyboard...they are still experimenting. right now it fills and supports the bottom brass sound. I suspect it may be useful in the cavernous Lucas Stadium...maybe they are trying to get an organ/cathedral like sound quality...

yes.. also I forgot to mention the electronic keyboard...they are still experimenting. right now it fills and supports the bottom brass sound. I suspect it may be useful in the cavernous Lucas Stadium...maybe they are trying to get an organ/cathedral like sound quality...

hhmmm, the low drone and low end support in the electronic keyboards is a very Californian marching band thing to do. I am not surprised, seeing the Key lives and does most of his work with californian bands. I know that he does not write the pit parts for scv, but i suspect collaboration.

like i said before in another thread, i really need to hear/see this one for myself before i get excited.

white shoes? that would really go back to the classic SCV look. Green pants and white shoes.

That would be bad ###.

:tongue:

OK, I'll say it:

I didn't realize the SCV lower brass needed filling and supporting.

Does anyone know if this is going up on Fan Network? Isn't this the same show that they did with Blue Devils last year a week before the season officially started?