Memphis Sound's new name...

Thanks! Brent Becker did a great job I believe :)

I Think I speak for every founding and past member by saying good luck and we hate to see our uniform, memories, traditions, rituals, sayings, name, directors, area of location, go.

We were founded out of the niceness of the people of the city of memphis, and while with Trey Moore not being the director that has gone, we still miss the feeling of the past and of those great families that housed us. We will miss all of the work we put into that corps to get it off the ground. Not many people know what its like to be a first year corps. All that we worked for will soon be forgotten once we are renamed and moved. I love this corps and will always love MEMPHIS SOUND!!! I just hope you tell the new corps all of the stories of the past and the struggles we went through on a daily basis. Good Luck.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the only thing changing is the name (which is still a play on Memphis Sound), the uniform (which is a step up IMHO) and the location. Every bit of tradition is being kept and I am sure a history night will be worked into everydays so new members will know EXACTLY where the corps came from. Chris specifically wanted all the vets to do what they could to keep the traditions around. Anytime from here on out, you will still be able to go up to the corps and yell "901!" and they will know exactly what to do. Now with that being said...

901!

Thanks Titan,

anyone who is involved with the corps now knows how much effort we are putting in to keeping everything about Memphis Sound that we can. We aren't keeping the name and the location (which hasn't been memphis for several years to be honest), but everything else is the same. Corps get new uniforms, and after 7 seasons, the uniforms need an upgrade

We did have history night last week :)

I Think I speak for every founding and past member by saying good luck and we hate to see our uniform, memories, traditions, rituals, sayings, name, directors, area of location, go.

We were founded out of the niceness of the people of the city of memphis, and while with Trey Moore not being the director that has gone, we still miss the feeling of the past and of those great families that housed us. We will miss all of the work we put into that corps to get it off the ground. Not many people know what its like to be a first year corps. All that we worked for will soon be forgotten once we are renamed and moved. I love this corps and will always love MEMPHIS SOUND!!! I just hope you tell the new corps all of the stories of the past and the struggles we went through on a daily basis. Good Luck.

Sorry if this sounds rude.... but why don't you go and visit for a week or a camp and make sure the new members know what it was like. I stayed for four years and continue to recruit and talk with members. Even got to speak at history night. Its easy to complain and whine, but it takes true character to do something about it....

From the article with the picture of the new uniforms...

"It was important for the new look to build upon the previous one, and yet provide us with an image to build towards our goal of World Class Status."

I think having these aspirations are great. I hope they can find the community/alum support they need to be able to support a World Class organization in the next several years. Something as simple as having dedicated volunteers for a full summer tour can be a huge obstacle to overcome.

I love the uniform design and I like the grey base quite a bit. Being unique is important in this game IMO. As for the name, it'll probably grow on me. It has a professional ring to it so that's a benefit.

Good luck, yes. But other than that, you don't speak for every alum. Not by far. And I certainly don't appreciate you claiming that for the rest of us in such a negative way when it's painfully obvious to me from your statements you haven't been that involved with the corps in the past year at all.

Chris, you're awesome. Keep on helping my corps not only stay alive, but to flourish and grow.

As a former staff member, I dig the new uniforms and name. The purple is a tip of the hat to the past and the grey is a view into the future and is going to look super sharp on the field. I applaud Green's efforts in keeping a history night so that the new members will know where the roots of the corps come from. However, change still hurts some times. It's called growing pains for a reason. Former staff, members and volunteers saw that Mempho was going to be dead in the water if something didn't change quick. The DFW area will embrace the corps in a way that the greater Memphis area never did or could. From here on out it will be a metamorphosis of what was, and I look forward to sending my students to march Forte in the future.

My daughter marched Memphis Sound 2005, 06, and 07. She is marching Bluecoats for her age-out year as we speak. My son-in-law to be marched 05 and 07. They both have very wonderful memories of Memphis Sound as this is where they met and had so many great years marching. Having said that, I know that they are pleased that the change is being made as Memphis never really embraced the corps. If your community doesn't get involved it is almost impossible to keep the corps alive.

They are both confident that the traditions of Memphis Sound will be kept alive by it's founders and it's alumni. Change is never easy but if the corps is being embraced by a community that will support them, I don't see the down side considering the alternative.

By the way, my son-in-law to be is Will McAlister and my daughter is Ashley Burgess, the infamous trumpet player who was attacked by the tree in 2006!

Good luck to "Forte" formally known as "Memphis Sound". It has great roots, keep it growing!!!!!!