Reduced tours?

Just checking the DCI schedule and a lot of Open corps that would have been Div 3 a few years back are doing very short tours. Five - nine shows isn't uncommon. Very few Cali corps are heading to finals.

Is the schedule incomplete or are there a lot of corps cutting back? If so, is it the economy?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would gather the economy has hit a lot of Open corps pretty hard. I would rather a shorter tour than no tour at all.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that since so many open class corps have folded, it does not make much sense to have a long tour. It is a waste of money. It is easier to group all of the shows together near the end of the season, rather than spread them all out.

I would rather a shorter tour than no tour at all.

No argument from me on that one.

Just checking the DCI schedule and a lot of Open corps that would have been Div 3 a few years back are doing very short tours. Five - nine shows isn't uncommon. Very few Cali corps are heading to finals.

Is the schedule incomplete or are there a lot of corps cutting back? If so, is it the economy?

I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. The number of shows on the open-class tour dropped prior to this year. Meanwhile, every corps on this side of the Rockies is going to DCI Championships, and the Western feeder corps seem to be touring every year now instead of just even-numbered years.

If the economy is the reason, it's no the only reason. Membership/interest might also be a reason to not only a short tour/no tour, but for an Opne Class corps folding.

I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. The number of shows on the open-class tour dropped prior to this year.

Why was that? Tough to get sponsors?

In my opinion, yes, it's either tough to get sponsors (probably because of the economy, or for that company's own reason what ever it might be), or there are just fewer corps, espically in Open Class, that are willing to host a show, again either because of the economy or another reason, whatever it might be.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that since so many open class corps have folded, it does not make much sense to have a long tour. It is a waste of money. It is easier to group all of the shows together near the end of the season, rather than spread them all out.

Since when is having performance opportunities a waste of money?

It's a big job sponsoring a event.

The actual event, itself, is simply the end result of a lot of behind the scenes hard work.

One HUGE factor that sponsors have to deal with for corps is (as example) housing, and the potential cost of it.

School districts themselves are in some challenging economical times, thus being unable to even consider offering a little "wiggle room" as far as housing costs.

Many times the housing costs alone can run double (as example) the cost of the show itself; then add in the stadium cost, medical personnel, insurance, advertising, etc.

You get rained out, lack attendance, lack of monetary sponsors, etc.......BAM, you're a "dead bird".