Video On Demand Results

BD is up as well as the others...

At first viewing I put BD on top, however this show is not a Championship caliber show (IMO). Clean as always, I believe the over use of field markers/chairs hampers the effort. While some corps make drill thats difficult look easy, BD has mastered the use of Props to make the drill overall look easy. Yes some parts are difficult but most others are not. The drill consist of a jumbled mess or goes from precise formations to a walk to you prop road map. As always the Brass are on top of their game and the percussion seem to be very clean for this time of year. The color guard again is top notch.

Not a big fan of the music as only one tune was recognizable. Again this is just my opinion. Right now this show will probably finish in the top 4.

SCV is back...

This show gives hope for another Championship. Vintage Santa Clara with Crisp Brass and percussion with great balance...Weak area is the color guard.

This show (IMO) is top 3 material. (Bottle Dance anyone)?

I'll post on the others later.

Edited by Phantombari1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BD is up as well as the others...

At first viewing I put BD on top, however this show is not a Championship caliber show (IMO). Clean as always, I believe the over use of field markers/chairs hampers the effort. While some corps make drill thats difficult look easy, BD has mastered the use of Props to make the drill overall look easy. Yes some parts are difficult but most others are not. The drill consist of a jumbled mess or goes from precise formations to a walk to you prop road map. As always the Brass are on top of their game and the percussion seem to be very clean for this time of year. The color guard again is top notch.

Not a big fan of the music as only one tune was recognizable. Again this is just my opinion. Right now this show will probably finish in the top 4.

SCV is back...

This show gives hope for another Championship. Vintage Santa Clara with Crisp Brass and percussion with great balance...Weak area is the color guard.

This show (IMO) is top 3 material. (Bottle Dance anyone)?

Was i watching the same video? BD show is totally top 2...and it/s not even clean.

I'll post on the others later.

The Academy

This show is much more appealing than last years show but the level of difficulty is lacking. The brass book is in need of cleaning as well as additional difficulty.

At this point in the season I would expect a more difficult drill. I believe they will face an uphill battle competing with the Corps above them.

I didn't really notice the guard at all. When comparing them to BD's guard it's easy to see BD is on another Planet!

The percussion section is improved over last year but again are given an easy book.

My intent is not to be harsh but to point things out as I see them...I believe the kids are capable of so much more but can only work with what they've been given. Right now I place them in the top 14.

The Academy

This show is much more appealing than last years show but the level of difficulty is lacking. The brass book is in need of cleaning as well as additional difficulty.

At this point in the season I would expect a more difficult drill. I believe they will face an uphill battle competing with the Corps above them.

I didn't really notice the guard at all. When comparing them to BD's guard it's easy to see BD is on another Planet!

The percussion section is improved over last year but again are given an easy book.

My intent is not to be harsh but to point things out as I see them...I believe the kids are capable of so much more but can only work with what they've been given. Right now I place them in the top 14.

So let's see what this looks like from up top. Maybe it will be better a second time.

So far I've only watched BD and SCV, but here are my thoughts based only on the video (haven't seen them live, so take it with a grain of salt.)

BD was entertaining, but their drill really confuses me. It's not even drill, really. I don't mean that to be harsh but it seems like they either walk to a set with their chairs and park'n'blow for while or run around in scattered formations. I dunno, it just doesn't flow. But the music is fun to listen to, especially near the end.

SCV's music is outstanding and will be awesome to listen to. Problem is, the tempos are sooooo slow that the show lacks energy and the drill takes forever to develop. Hopefully they will crank up the tempos as the season moves along. Drumline has a lot of energy and has a nice feature 2/3 of the way through. Should be a top 6 program.

I appreciate BD's show more now, and the drill in particular, when seeing a higher-up view. I didn't notice the "1930" or "$" moments in the drill when I saw them last week. The use of chairs looks far more ... clear ... than at a lower vantage point. The last third of the show needs work, and the drill loses clarity. Looking forward to seeing how they close it out, as it seems like there is about another 1:30 of the show not on the field yet. Brass sounds fantastic. Guard is clearly the early top section in this corps.

Watched Cadets OnDemand video as well. Great show, great music. I can't say anything feels that "new" though. The drill looks like everything they've been doing (quite well, I may add) for the past 10 years. The music takes you right back to 1984, which is certainly a good thing. They'll be contending for the top spot. I do think BD is ahead of them right now, more because I think their brass and percussion are both richer and more powerful, and because I think they're visual package is more different and new. That and BD's outstanding guard puts them on top, early in the season, IMHO.

SCV -- great musicality. Best closing minute out of any of the shows I've seen thus far. Very musical corp. Their drill is quite basic though.

Will watch Crown on demand next..

I appreciate BD's show more now, and the drill in particular, when seeing a higher-up view. I didn't notice the "1930" or "$" moments in the drill when I saw them last week. The use of chairs looks far more ... clear ... than at a lower vantage point. The last third of the show needs work, and the drill loses clarity. Looking forward to seeing how they close it out, as it seems like there is about another 1:30 of the show not on the field yet. Brass sounds fantastic. Guard is clearly the early top section in this corps.

Watched Cadets OnDemand video as well. Great show, great music. I can't say anything feels that "new" though. The drill looks like everything they've been doing (quite well, I may add) for the past 10 years. The music takes you right back to 1984, which is certainly a good thing. They'll be contending for the top spot. I do think BD is ahead of them right now, more because I think their brass and percussion are both richer and more powerful, and because I think they're visual package is more different and new. That and BD's outstanding guard puts them on top, early in the season, IMHO.

SCV -- great musicality. Best closing minute out of any of the shows I've seen thus far. Very musical corp. Their drill is quite basic though.

Will watch Crown on demand next..

When judging these I'm always looking at the potential and the back ground of the corps to maximize.

Here's the order I have everyone in and my projected finish if each show is maximized.

1. BD

2. Cadets

3. Crown

4. SCV

5. BAC

6. Glassmen

Projected finish if maxed out...

1. SCV

2. Cadets

3. BD

4. Crown

5. Glassmen

6. BAC

OF course all this will change with the addition of the other corps...

Edited by Phantombari1

So far I've only watched BD and SCV, but here are my thoughts based only on the video (haven't seen them live, so take it with a grain of salt.)

BD was entertaining, but their drill really confuses me. It's not even drill, really. I don't mean that to be harsh but it seems like they either walk to a set with their chairs and park'n'blow for while or run around in scattered formations. I dunno, it just doesn't flow. But the music is fun to listen to, especially near the end.

SCV's music is outstanding and will be awesome to listen to. Problem is, the tempos are sooooo slow that the show lacks energy and the drill takes forever to develop. Hopefully they will crank up the tempos as the season moves along. Drumline has a lot of energy and has a nice feature 2/3 of the way through. Should be a top 6 program.

Just don't agree on BD's drill. First and second acts have a lot of (fast) movement and creative forms -- not running to chairs. Third act -- I would agree. They have work to do

When judging these I'm always looking at the potential and the back ground of the corps to maximize.

Here's the order I have everyone in and my projected finish if each show is maximized.

1. BD

2. Cadets

3. Crown

4. SCV

5. BAC

6. Glassmen

Projected finish if maxed out...

1. SCV

2. Cadets

3. BD

4. Crown

5. Glassmen

6. BAC

OF course all this will change with the addition of the other corps...

Help me out -- what is the difference between if a show is "maximized" and if it is "maxed out"?

Watching BD, Crown and SCV.

BD - Opinion hasn't changed much, the drill looks better from up top, but parts are still a mess, and the show loses me at about 4 minutes. However, the opener is one of the best on the field this year, period. Based on this, and knowing that Wayne Downing is a God, this show will get fixed. It's too early to begin to think about placements, but if I was judging at this moment, they would be third or fourth. At this point, this is not a championship caliber show, but I expect that to change.

SCV - Tempo changes will clean this show up a bunch visually. Brass is rich and talented, one of their best since 2004. Drums are talented, Guard is OK, and might be one of the reasons for the spread in visual scores. Once the ending is cleaned up, it could be one of the best in DCI history. They have lots to clean, which is a good thing. Probably a few changes coming their way, including a rumor of some serious drill rewrites.

Crown - Total package, all they need to do is clean clean clean. The advantage they have is that they have the entire show complete and on the field, where as Holy Name won't until the end of the week. Horns are amazing, but the drumline should get the award for most improved. The drums have hurt them in the past, not this year. I would probably look for some changes at the end of the show, as I think there is more they can do to punch it up and pick up some GE. I would love to see a faster in your face ending with the crown at the end.

Cadets - With the holes they have in their show, it wouldn't be fair to judge them at this point (same could possibly be said for the Dev's). Great horns, ad they move well. Drill is great, though I'm a little hesitant to say the same about the brass book, but that will change. Show has a lot of potential.

Crown and Holy Name will be sharing some serious "quality time" with one another this season, so it will be fun to watch them go back and forth. I honestly do not think we are going to know which one of these corps will be on top until finals week.

We need to see Regiment, Bloooo, and Cavi's t really get a good feel for where everyone is, but if I had to place the corps I've seen at this point, it would be:

1. BD

2. Crown

3. Holy Name

4. SCV

Edited by Newseditor44