Possible shows themes/music now that electronics are legal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad other people have show ideas about Radiohead--did you see that thing where Radiohead played with University So Cal? Marching Band? pretty cool.

Here are some ideas where the synth part would be necessary and integrated to the show, unlike the synth uses this year--where the synth is unnecessary to the show:

1) Bluecoats could do "Birds of Fire"-- Mahivishnu Orchestra. Acid jazz w/ electric guitar and violin in the pit, and the electric keyboard sounds (moog) are really interesting (not just simulating some existing acoustic instrument). The Drum parts from Billy Cobham's set playing would be great on the field. I think it could be a great show.

2) Glassmen could do a cathedral choir show w/ a synth pipe organ--their horn line would sound great w/ this and the drum parts, although not present in the music, could be arranged. I've got some recordings of the Dresden Cathedral Choir that blow me away. It would be a great horn book, and a clean drum show. Much of that music is really modern and interesting-- the Glassmen have done some cathedral music in the past as well.

3) Spirit could do "Old Gold--a tribute to the radio songs of Artie Shaw"-- Old Gold was a radio show in the late 30s that played live swing music, featuring Artie Shaw's band. It had some wild instrumentation: Electric harpsichord, Mandolin, strings and winds-- and do-op vocals. Imagine a huge prop representing an old style radio-- synths could play the radio static tuning sounds while a guard member worked the dial--then when the radio is tuned--cut to music-- put an old cigarette ad or "plop plop fizz fizz" type moment between numbers. You might have to get a clarinet soloist to do an Artie Shaw impersonation.

4) Someone could do a "City of the Future" show featuring the music of Radiohead. Alot of great hyper-modern sounding synth sounds, and melodies that would work for horns. Have Judy Jetson type cutsy futuristic guard uniforms. It would work--not on the sheets, but who cares about that.

There you go. You want some show design ideas for synth? It seems the possibilities are inexhaustible!

Here's one for serious:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Hear me out. It would be a chance to use a new electronic instrument, the "Blaster Beam" (which sounds pretty freaking cool) in a show . . .not to mention that the soundtrack is ####### epic. Yes, the main theme is trite by now, but there's soooooo much more music to utilize, most of which already has electronics in the mix (and orchestrated into the score very well, I'd add).

Oh, and it was one of the last movies that used an overture, Ilia's Theme . . .which could lead to a "Dancer in the Dark" ( one of the few recent movies to use the concept of an overture) type ballad for the show. Listen to Ilia's Theme, and close your eyes . . .it could totally work.

I'd pay good money to see Crown or Blue Stars (maybe even Phantom) do it. :thumbup:

Boston could do a Boston show. :thumbup:

Yeah! But personally, I'd rather hear 16 contra play "foreplay" then a pitted bass. Still would be cool though.

Here's one for serious:

I'd pay good money to see Crown or Blue Stars (maybe even Phantom) do it. :thumbup:

Do you remember when the Blue Knights did it in '93? Didn't score really well, but the drum solo was pretty interesting.--They had long tails on the jackets that went below the knee--to make them look like they were floating.

Here's one for serious:

Hear me out. It would be a chance to use a new electronic instrument, the "Blaster Beam" (which sounds pretty freaking cool) in a show . . .not to mention that the soundtrack is ####### epic. Yes, the main theme is trite by now, but there's soooooo much more music to utilize, most of which already has electronics in the mix (and orchestrated into the score very well, I'd add).

Oh, and it was one of the last movies that used an overture, Ilia's Theme . . .which could lead to a "Dancer in the Dark" ( one of the few recent movies to use the concept of an overture) type ballad for the show. Listen to Ilia's Theme, and close your eyes . . .it could totally work.

Star Trek Generations...the movie I mean. I think Star Trek had some really awesome music.

Do you remember when the Blue Knights did it in '93? Didn't score really well, but the drum solo was pretty interesting.--They had long tails on the jackets that went below the knee--to make them look like they were floating.

Yeah, that was the show with the twenty minute drum break. :thumbup:

They used a lot of stuff from Star Trek II as well . . .which is also a pretty good score, but I'm more of a Goldsmith fan than a Horner fan.