Bigger does not mean better

I think there is enough brass, percussion and guard...the next increase will be for WW...another bus or two...

OH NO....lol :blink:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(This will be a controversial POV)

I think the entire activity would benefit it they lowered the maximum corps size. We all know that the activity has been "top heavy". The same group of corps dominate the activity because the talent--which stopped being local years ago--congregates there. By increasing to 150, they just made those corps capable of gobbling up even more of the talent.

Lower corps size, particularly after the size has been larger for a few years, could kinda work like "salary cap" works in the NFL. It could cause a little bit more parity. The NFL is one of the most exciting sports, IMO, because of its parity.

If you are a fan of the top 5 or 6, you probably hate the idea, but I would love it if ALL the corps were more competitive and the activity was less predictable every year. (By predictable, I mean you know who is going to be in the Top 6, albeit not the exact order. Note how below that, you can't predict every year who will be there. )

I was reading some of the early history of DCI and the cap on corps size was put in originally for the purpose of not giving some corps too much advantage back in the day.

Creatively, I think 150 is pushing it in terms of visual clutter. I like watching the older videos when things were a bit less cluttered.

(Now, for the strong rebuttals on this POV...)

in theory yes, your statement works.

but, sadly, reality doesnt line up with theory.

drm corps now is all about the top guys...if a kid doesnt make it, they dont care about the open class corps, and often dont care about other world class corps.

and since the marketing of open class corps, by not only DCI but by themselves sucks ###, if the limit were lowered, it wouldnt help fill up smaller corps.

personally i think 150 is too many.

and while you mention parity like witht he NFL, realize this....people will often root for a good team, even if it's not the local guys solely because that team is good. thats just the way the world has become

I think there is enough brass, percussion and guard...the next increase will be for WW...another bus or two...

:blink: