Coming from DCI to DCA...

So I'm sure y'all get this question a lot... this was going to be my age-out year marching with the Madison Scouts but I hurt my knee, had surgery, and, well, as you probably guessed, am having to sit this last year out... I was bummed for a while 'cause I knew the days of summer on tour with 30 or so shows was over... but then I realized even if it's only one show a year I love performing too much to just be done with it at age 21... so I'm thinking about trying out for the Atlanta CorpsVets next year... but I'm curious what the transition from DCI to DCA is like, what can I expect? I know that's an open ended question but I'm sure most of you know what I mean... thanks guys!

It depends more on what you are looking for... I think we can all agree that every DCA corps is different. Meaning: rehearses different, programs very different music, and has various levels of drill demand. You have to decide what you want first and then pick a group. You are lucky because you have two VERY different corps in the Atlanta area (program-wise).

Good luck in your hunt! Sorry about the knee.

Sorry to hear about the knee. This is my age-out year as well, and I always wanted to be a Scout, just never worked out, so I know how you feel (kind of).

Obviously every corps is different. So I'll just give you a little of my experience.

I marched ECJ for three years, which I think is definitely high enough quality in DCI. I've been marching Hurricanes for a few years now. It's kind of hard to put into words what the difference is. For me personally, it has been huge. Just between the varying age groups/experience/attitudes that can be/are brought to the table every weekend. I've found DCA to be much more difficult physically and mentally. Many will think I'm crazy, but I have a few reasons for this.

You've gone through a tour with Spirit, so you know what tour body is like. It can be painful, but you kind of just get used to it and expect it and eventually just find it to be fairly easy to push through it. With DCA being weekends only, I've found that my body doesn't handle it as well. I have 2 days where I'm doing a lot of running around/marching and beating up my body as I would have if I was on tour because I personally try to treat marching the same no matter where I am. But after those two days, there's 5 days off where I'm able to get used to the comforts of normal life. That lightswitch has been hard to turn on and off because when I marched DCI it was just always switched "ON".

Mentally it is very different as well. Mainly because of the same reason I just mentioned, that time off during the week. Just watching other people that I march with right now, I just think it's really difficult for them because they do drum corps on the weekends, and then go work their 9-5 during the week. We all know how things are right now in the world, and I feel like it's really affecting people's attitudes and ability to completely commit 100% all of the time because they are just flat out drained. Real life definitely has more of an impact in DCA than it does in DCI where you're basically cut off from the outside world for a couple of months.

Overall, it's still marching, it's still making music, it's still doing what we love to do. There are times when alot of people coming from DCI would think the quality in DCA isn't as high, but I think it's a different kind of quality. There are different factors involved that make them completely different, so to expect the same product is like asking an apple to be an orange. It's a great time either way. No matter what, the experience is about bettering ourselves and I still find ways to do that every week. So if anyone were to ask me if it was worthwhile, I'd say a definite yes. Besides, if you're planning on marching CorpsVets, you'll be joining a group that puts out a really entertaining package every year. I'm not going to lie, my favorite part about the drum corps is actually watching other corps perform. and last night when the CorpsVets played Georgia at retreat at Barnum it was just nasty. if you have any specific questions you can feel free to PM me, but like I said, this was my experience going from DCI to DCA.

Thanks for that, man! You've gotten me excited for DCA! Maybe the transition won't so bad, after all. :blink:

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for that, man! You've gotten me excited for DCA! Maybe the transition won't so bad, after all. :blink:

Thanks for the help!

I don't know how your recovery is going, but if you can handle it without being a burden to the corps....

I'm sure both CV and Alliance could use an additional person on support staff. Being with the corps in a support capacity will give you a good look at the inner workings of the organization - and will give you a chance to experience DCA in general.

I agree Jeff - I congratulate our (x ECJ) Hurricane - Very well said...

As for the original poster - if you REALLY want to enjoy next season (with whoever) get to the championships THIS year... it's a hoot and makes all the hard work worthwhile.

May daughter went to a DCA corps this year after having marched Open Class in DCI for 4 seasons. She really likes working with DCA as she gets to march, field and travel, but also gets to "have a summer". She really likes the weekend only thing and the fact that it goes for the entire summer - not ending the second week of August. Enjoy wherever you march, just march!!!!!

i marched in dca for 7 years 97-03. i never marched with a dci corps but what i can tell you is there are many quality drumc corps in dca. from the time i started to when i finished till now every corps is that much better. there are a few that resemble dci corps in their performance and practice styles. there are those who are more traditional style dca corps and more relaxed drill and music wise. anyone you choose though would be a great experience. i've had the best experiences marching in dca and i never second guess myself about not choosing to march in a dci corps. i've learned alot and met so many friends of different ages. where else can you go and get to march with your dad and brother in the same place at the same time. i was lucky enough to do that a couple years. i am a little biased for which corps i would choose to march with because of my family history etc. but whatever you choose you will have a blast.