A solution?

Two shows in one day would be very difficult to pull off logistically, both with the corps and with the show volunteers. They are already very busy all day long just running one evening show. Adding another one on the afternoon might be too much.

However, I have always thought having some of the corps perform in town on the day of the show would be helpful for drumming up awareness and hopefully ticket sales. Some corps would jump at the chance to do a quick 15-20 minute mini-concert at the town square or some other popular public spot for a couple of hundred bucks more pay. Show sponsors may be able to find a local business to sponsor this part of the event. "The XYZ Alumni Corps is brought to you today by the fine folks at Mac's Pizza. Be sure to try their delicious sausage calzone."

Other corps wouldn't want to do it, but as long as a couple would do it, I think it would be helpful. Maybe the exhibition group(s) could take on this role. Many of the Alumni corps are better suited for this type of performance anyway.

The whole idea would be to give the locals a taste of what they could expect at the actual show and hopefully entice them to buy a ticket.

sounds like the old Cumberland show Dan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don may have forgotten that not only do I remember it, Oswego is my home town. The contest was held on the parade grounds at Fort Ontario... there were no bleachers... just a nice hill on one side to sit on... wasn't all that bad a view... Yes they used the parade to drag people in to the show, but the fact that it was free - helped... it was always a great time... but too d....m long a parade...

Very picturesqe though as the fort overlooks the harbor and all of Lake Ontario...

That parade grounds was no stranger to drum corps... they held shows there pre and post World War II...

Yes, I remember doing that one. Brutal parade. 4th of July weekend, I think.

Yes, I remember doing that one. Brutal parade. 4th of July weekend, I think.

yesit was the 4th of july weekend. the rome show was usally on the same weekend. so we had a parde and show on one day then a show the next day.

Isn't part of the problem, as discussed in the previous thread, actually getting the buttocks in the seats?

We were talking about the price, how do you get the people to attend two shows? Perhaps I'm missing the point?

Would these shows be about 100 miles apart so you draw two completely different crowds?

I think the original idea was to have an afternoon show and an evening show at the same venue so that people that couldn't go to one could make the other or the afternoon show could build hype in said venue for more people to attend the evening show.

Harry is correct. The idea is similar to what the circus does when it comes to town. Those circus groups that still appear in one city after another, spend a great deal of time, effort, and expense to transport their "attraction" to each stop on the tour. After erecting the massive tent, putting everything else in place, they maximize the return on their effort by presenting more than one show per day.

Drum corps go through something similar to present their attraction, yet only use the venue, the bus expense, etc. one

time. Adding an afternoon show doubles the opportunity for locals to participate, doubles the availability of great seats, and provides a second payday for not much more that the price of one.

There are other benefits. The afternoon show could be priced a little lower, use general admission roll tickets. The day show could be used to provide all the typical comp tickets required, radio ticket giveaways, etc.

Best of all, the locals who attend during the day, go home about 3pm and rave to their neighbor how good the show was. Maybe, 5 hours later, the neighbor family gives it a try.

Interesting topic.

Two shows in a day is certainly doable. The Kilties did 2 shows in the Madison area this past Sunday,

performing at the Madison Scout sponsored DCI show at 6:15PM and then heading 25 minutes south to

perform a 9:30PM exhibition at a MACBDA competitive band circuit show in Oregon, WI. We even

managed a 4 hour rehearsal block from 10AM-2PM. We were all a bit weary at the end of the evening,

but it was a good weary.

Two show weekends (one show Saturday and one show Sunday) have always been the norm for us

out here in the Midwest, even back in the DCM days. I've always found it curious that it isn't the norm

for all-age corps in the east.

losing rehearsal time will be the HUGE fight in this proposal

losing rehearsal time will be the HUGE fight in this proposal

when thinking about this when we did it we did have thursday and friday night rehearsals. now i guess the the corps are no longer local and can't adopt to those nights to rehaearse i think you may be right jeff. unless ........they stayed up all night .....just kidding. :worthy:

exactly Don. I remember my dad doing week nights at Shore and even with Baltimore tho he wasnt really local for them. Hell, by my last year, it was tough to even have a mid week sectional for a 6 person section due to distances.

And, to be honest, in a lot of ways Sundays after shows can be unproductive, becuase you bust ### on new stuff or tweaks all day...then you go home for a week. best thing we ever did at Westshore was in 95, we stopped doing Sundays once shows started unless we had a show that day. Friday nights were intense and we wasted no time on Saturday.