A solution?

But guys, how much lost time are we talking about here? Maybe 2 hours away from your normal schedule? If a corps can pick-up an extra $1000 (or more) for that time period, I'd say it's worth it. Hey, those same 2 missed hours even include warm-up practice and an actual run-through. If the event is a non-judged, drum major only Retreat, I don't think the concept is so difficult to accommodate.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see your point Fred. But.....looking at it from the staffs viewpoint, in a competitive arena...2 hours is a HUGE part of the day.

when you look at how little time DCA corps get with their folks, two hours can be a huge amount of time.

a compromise would be maybe an every other week kind of thing, but every week would be too disruptive.

think about this for a second:

get to show site via car, bus however.

unpack, set up

warm up, start ensemble or sectionals

probably have to stop for lunch, load up

go to wherever performance may be

unload, play

load up

go back and unload start to rehearse again

stop, eat load up

go perform again

load up head home.

it's VERY disruptive in the day, and really there isnt enough time to truly rehearse when you factor in all the loading/unloading re warming up, etc.

it may pay some bills, but will the corps actually get any better?

That is a good point. It would maybe be more doable in areas where the corps are near by. Waterbury comes to mind even though it isn't a show anymore. I think there were always 4 of us rehearsing at the show site at a time.

Saturday/Sunday shows in different areas near each other like others have mentioned would probably be the more sensible route. I would think that maybe the two sponsors could work together to provide over night housing for the groups.

right which is why i said there has to be a compromise. one is not do this every week. the other, which to me is the most sensible, is saturday/sunday.

especially in areas where there is a local corps, the promoter HAS to advertise it. to me, that was Dan's issue in Chambersburg....the local corps was 90 minutes away. Hershey drew well because it was usually a dca/dci lineup, plus, they did push Westshore when the corps warranted being pushed.

That leads me back to my first question. For promoters/sponsors, does DCA offer them any advertising/press kit to help with promotion ideas?

every sponsor is given a "how to" document. Additionally, in the late spring, they receive considerable information which they can use for their program and advertising the show. I'll admit it could be better - but combined with the fact that we rarely have a "new" sponsor and when we do, we give them a lot of one on one attention and advice... The good news again is that we have a whole bunch of "long standing" sponsors who know well what works in their area. Allen Buell in Rochester, Al Katz in NJ, Bob Bradley in CT, Carl Vullo in Jamestown - these guys have been running shows for longer than any of them care to admit.

Looking at our schedule, there is not one sponsor this year that jumps up as someone who really needs extensive guidance... It's more like an elite club who talk to each other often and share ideas.

It's not easy. Advertising is VERY expensive. Much is concentrated on how to publicize your show for very little money. Believe me, the jury is still out on whether radio/TV advertising considering its extreme cost is worth it. Newspaper readership continues to plumette...

Speaking as a performer, (retired from the field), performing a show is hard work, much harder than a rehearsal. You give it everything you've got. Everything. And now you're talking twice a day? Hardly seems fair to the performers.

I don't do field shows anymore, but if it was me, asked to give two, all out performances daily, on a regular basis, I'd want a piece of the action.

Perhaps a good idea to raise money for the corps, but again, a bit unfair to the performers.

I always wanted to do more shows. I think my record was 13 one season and that didn't feel like enough. There were a couple Sat/Sun combos in there. Only thing I hated about that was we had the black uniforms that year and the Afternoon shows were HOT.

I need to start marching again. My health might be back where it needs to be...

I always wanted to do more shows. I think my record was 13 one season and that didn't feel like enough. There were a couple Sat/Sun combos in there. Only thing I hated about that was we had the black uniforms that year and the Afternoon shows were HOT.

I need to start marching again. My health might be back where it needs to be...

the most i marched in one season was 22. lots of saturday and sunday shows back then.