crowns body movement

my 2 cents

Generally- I enjoy crown bashing as much as any other music major who happens to live in the Carolinas... That said- it was a shock when I actually started to LIKE this years show!

I want to hate it- I really do- but I say if the hornline can sound good and do body movement at the same time- let em! I am sure at one point in time it was "innovative" to have corps marching anything over an 8x5 and now every top 6 corps spends the majority of their show running. Not saying that corps should spend the majority of their march time dancing- but it does at flavor.

And can we give some props for the rip your face off moment that comes directly after all of the sliding on the ground and body movement- I like it!

Now if the pit would lay off the block chords- I would gladly put Crown in first!

--------------------------

(As for the light colored uniform issue- that is why drum corps use washable uniforms- I think the color contrast to the green field is one of the ONLY reasons we are actually noticing the body movement. I really do like the "new" crown uniform... aside from the snot strings.

Note- The guard is doing lots of movement in the show this year- but since they are wearing all green it just doesn't pop. I know that it is way too late for them to change the guard uniforms for this year- epitome of a good idea not working out quite right. )

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a short clip on the FN that talks about the "Mellos body movement". It is supposed to reflect the music being played and so it portrays a sort of primitive nature and its very raw or something like that. Those members have two sets of pants, one for indoor performances and one for the rest.

As far as the body movement goes I'm usually okay with what corps do. We all know BK does a ton but its what we have come to expect. Crown this year seems very different from BK IMO. Crown seems to be doing almost guard like stuff which seems to me a little over the top. For what Crown is doing with their mellos at that part I think they could easily do that with guard members.

I think what it really comes down to is the whole point of entertainment. IMO a good show has many things that I like to call "eye candy" where you happen too look over, and see something cool that you did not expect. So, to explain it... say the trumpets are doing a melody. It sounds nice, and they are marching in a little block, well what if I were to glance over at the snare drums, and see a cool stick visual. I would get excited. In many shows, including Crown's, I believe that so many visuals that seem unnecessary and overused, are simply to keep the audience entertained, and metaphorically, on their feet. I personally enjoy shows like that because everytime I watch it, I can find something cool and new that I didn't see before. Crown, just like BK enjoys doing alot of body movements to show and express the feeling of the piece. Some people like it, some don't, but the Corp will continue to do it, which adds to their overall "identity"

Edited by MariaCrown2010

Crown's pit is playing way better this year than I've ever heard them play, IMO. Anyway you guys can continue.

I agree- they are much cleaner than I have ever heard them before. Its time to step up the difficulty- We (IMO) all know they are capable and besides- All the cool kids are doing it! :)

As much as I hate to- I still say good job to Crown in general- Keep it up and make the Carolinians proud

Edited by eagreen

my 2 cents

Generally- I enjoy crown bashing as much as any other music major who happens to live in the Carolinas... That said- it was a shock when I actually started to LIKE this years show!

I want to hate it- I really do- but I say if the hornline can sound good and do body movement at the same time- let em! I am sure at one point in time it was "innovative" to have corps marching anything over an 8x5 and now every top 6 corps spends the majority of their show running. Not saying that corps should spend the majority of their march time dancing- but it does at flavor.

And can we give some props for the rip your face off moment that comes directly after all of the sliding on the ground and body movement- I like it!

Now if the pit would lay off the block chords- I would gladly put Crown in first!

(As for the light colored uniform issue- that is why drum corps use washable uniforms- I think the color contrast to the green field is one of the ONLY reasons we are actually noticing the body movement. I really do like the "new" crown uniform... aside from the snot strings.

Note- The guard is doing lots of movement in the show this year- but since they are wearing all green it just doesn't pop. I know that it is way too late for them to change the guard uniforms for this year- epitome of a good idea not working out quite right. )

Good post in general, but who are you to speak for the music majors in the Carolinas? Being one of those music majors in NC myself, I've never heard that there's a bad image that people see when they think of Crown...

But very valid opinions otherwise...haha :worthy:

Sorry- I correct myself and ad an "in my opnion and experience" to the statement about Carolina!

I agree- they are much cleaner than I have ever heard them before. Its time to step up the difficulty- We (IMO) all know they are capable and besides- All the cool kids are doing it! :)

As much as I hate to- I still say good job to Crown in general- Keep it up and make the Carolinians proud

Personally I'd say they've upped their difficulty quite a bit this year. I haven't gotten to see their pit up close or live at all, just on Fan Network, but their book seems a great deal more difficult and varied this year than ever before. Now I'm not sure if it's as demanding as other top pits out there (again haven't gotten a great read) but it is definitely a big step up from last year where it seemed like they basically just played diatonic runs and, like you said, block chords. Didn't seem like a lot of that this year (maybe I just need to watch a video again). What would you say about their book this year?

As another music major in NC (my God, is there nothing better to do here than read DCP?), I have to say that Crown's reputation as a legitimate artistic enterprise has grown tremendously over the past few years. Whereas Crown has only recently been in the national spotlight, many "folks around these parts" grew up with Crown as an okay, but not great corps. It is, I think, the lingering memories of "Old Crown" that often get in the way of local musicians getting attached to the organization.

Just wanted to know what you thought about their body movement that one part where it looks like they are allmost dancing is awesome.

Personally I really like it, especially where they do it right before they crowd up for a bunch of double toungueing

my 2 cents

Why do most other (according to you) music majors in the Carolinas enjoy Crown bashing?