REVO NEEDS HELP!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of being so all knowing, why don't you donate? Being critical helps no one. Do you know anything about the situation? It is truly "ridiculous" that some people think that they can foresee anything that could happen and obviously feel that they could handle the situation better.

It is a forum, after all! That's what we do, criticize, although I don't find his or her post "critical" at all.

I'm a bit concerned about Open Class. I feel we face greater challenges than World Class in many respects due to fighting to get members, not getting a "full" corps, whose fees would help to offset some of the debt incurred throughtout the years. It's tough. I hope people will invest in Open Class to see that it grows stronger over the ensuing years.

I agree, Open Class should be reviewed. World Class could use another three or four solid open corps that can tour all summer without any major problems so move those that can and the rest should be allowed to do a minimal tour that they can afford OR let them all compete in one class (World) and let the numbers apply. Just like the old days when corps actually put up numbers like 31.25 and it was a thrill to break a 50.00!!!

Contributed something small. I wish it was more and I hope Revolution will be able to complete their 2009 tour.

Despite the negative impact cutting the tour short would have on the members who paid their fees and fulfilled their contracts, there is a huge danger in bailing out a corps in this situation. I suppose we could make analogies to larger issues of "bail outs" in the United States right now.

The post from the Revolution PR contact outlines all the reasons why we potential donors should be wary about making a contribution right now. 1) The corps left for tour knowing it could not cover expenses. 2) The corps chose not to do a full financial restructuring after getting into financial trouble in the past. 3) The corps was fined by DCI for violating some kind of DCI policy suggesting administrative problems.

Obviously everyone should do what they can to help all drum corps, but I will use my money to support corps that are operating with sound financial practices in place. I certainly do not want the members of Revolution to wind up stranded on tour without food, but I also don't want to help the corps administration to avoid dealing with the real underlying problems that brought them to this place again.

Despite the negative impact cutting the tour short would have on the members who paid their fees and fulfilled their contracts, there is a huge danger in bailing out a corps in this situation. I suppose we could make analogies to larger issues of "bail outs" in the United States right now.

I was thinking this exact same thing. Well stated.

3) The corps was fined by DCI for violating some kind of DCI policy suggesting administrative problems.

Something in your post which is misleading is the statement above. When corps pull out of shows they are fined for that very reason: They did not perform as the show contract stated they would. Your vague statement makes it sound like they violated human rights or something haha.

RevoPR stated they pulled out of shows to save money, probably travel expenses. I can't imagine their travel expenses would have cost much more than these fines but that is a different story. In the end, I doubt they saved much money long term from withdrawing.

Your #1 statement sounds accurate to any outside individual. Regarding your #2... they may have chose to restructure their financial policies however those policies, when implemented, must have failed for this to all happen again. They may have at least tried, which I'm sure they did, it just obviously didn't work. But trying doesn't always count for much if it leads to the same problems, now does it. If they make it out of this... back to the drawing board I suppose!

Crassissimo - Please read the post from the PR representative of Revolution. The three concerns I shared are based off of the information provided by the corps - no assumptions. They did not want to take a year or two off from competing in order to restructure. That was a decision made by the corps. I understand the reasons behind it, but it obviously did not work. That was the corps decision. They were financially unsound and did not fix it before taking on full a full competition schedule again.

My #3 statement was not misleading at all. The corps should have known it would be fined for pulling out of the shows. The PR statement made it sound like big, bad DCI came out of nowhere and leveled fines on the corps unfairly. The fines may have been cheaper than the costs would have been to go and attend those shows for travel, food, etc., but the fines should not have been a surprise that broke the corps financially at the beginning of this season.